Reload this Page >

Discussion about closing of TXL and opening of new airport BER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji

The Brandenburg Willy Brandt Airport was originally set to open in 2011; the opening has been postponed to October 2020.
https://simpleflying.com/berlin-bran...rport-opening/

It is being constructed adjacent to Schönefeld Airport, which it will replace.
Print Wikipost

Discussion about closing of TXL and opening of new airport BER

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2016, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Basically "old news"

I think that we are going to read a few "opening of BER delayed until 20XX" headlines in the next years.
And I guess you are right.....
Old May 31, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I think that we are going to read a few "opening of BER delayed until 20XX" headlines in the next years.
20xx may be optimistic...
Old Jun 8, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA, Best Western, Miles & More
And when it does eventually open they will have to close it down to refurbish it to comply with the latest set of EU regulations!
It's crazy. Both the Russians and the Americans were able to launch space programs in less time and for less money than this white elephant is costing. At least Tiegel is being kept open for now.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:46 am

Programs: Miles and More
Warning: the TXL bus line has been shortened and does not go to Alexanderplatz anymore. The bus only goes from the airport to Hbf now.

If you stay around Alex and hope to catch the bus to the airport, you have to take the S-Bahn to Hbf and then the TXL bus from there.

There is currently a plan to reactivate the airport-Alex connection. If everything goes fine the bus will return to Alex in mid-October or early November. Sorry I couldn't find sources in English, but here it is in German:

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/bv.../14639056.html

Originally Posted by linglingfool
See the below transit map for connections to BER when it opens. The TXL bus takes 20 minutes to get to the Hbf and 40 min to Alexanderplatz if BER isn't open yet, while the RE7 can get to you Alexanderplatz in 20 minutes and the Hbf in 30 if it is. Both areas offer plenty of hotels to choose from.

Old Oct 16, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Is there actually even a "target" date on the books for BER at this point?

I'm trying to think if there is precedence for anything like this, in modern history. There have been several documented construction disasters that have occurred (Denver airport, the "tunnel" in Boston, etc.) but I really don't know if there has been a failure of this magnitude ever. It's really quite stunning...

I can't help but wonder if leveling the entire facility and starting over would be faster than trying to fix it.

Wow... just wow...

Regards
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
Is there actually even a "target" date on the books for BER at this point?
No. AFAIK the airport management was supposed to annonce a new date a couple of weeks ago, but deferred that announcement. Some managers of BER insist that a 2017 opening of the airport is still doable. I have my serious doubts about that.

I'm trying to think if there is precedence for anything like this, in modern history.
It's full of them. Over budget and delayed public constructions seem to be the norm these days.

That's the problem with campaign goodies: You don't want to annonce a new prestige project that's too expensive and that's going to take several years to built. You end up with unrealistic low budgets and too restrictive timelines. During construction, only few actually pay attention, whether money is efficiently and correctly used (and if the billed services were effectively done in the billed quality and quantity).

In contrast to BER, the 2012 Olympics were somewhat of success. They were ahead of schedule, had spend less money than initially planned and construction was closely monitored to detect any abuses by contractors.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
It's full of them. Over budget and delayed public constructions seem to be the norm these days.
Oh, I'm well aware that there have been many over budget and delayed projects (and I named a couple in my post)

What I'm saying, is can you name a bigger disaster than this? In terms of both cost overrun and time delay. I mean perhaps there is but I really cannot name one bigger than this. Can you?

Regards
Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:10 pm

What I'm saying, is can you name a bigger disaster than this? In terms of both cost overrun and time delay.
Stuttgart 21 comes to mind. Initial budget (1995) 2.5 billion €, currently >5.8 billion €. Expected delay >3 years. There are a few fails on a smaller scale (Elb Philharmonie, Nord-Süd Stadtbahn in Cologne or the new BND headquarters in Berlin).

It's no different in France. It took over 20 years to build the motorway tunnel under Toulon. That's over 46 years from planing to building.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
An Autobahn in Germany is "in work" since nearly 50 years (http://www.wz.de/mobile/lokales/kreis-mettmann/nachrichten-aus-velbert-neviges-und-wulfrath/die-unendliche-geschichte-der-a-44-1.2028652). We have some funny people things...
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I've always thought of Berlin as a bigger version of Montreal when it comes to these projects. YMX probably the biggest and costliest white elephant airport ever built and then abandoned within 30 years because no one wanted it and flights returned to YUL (Montreal's version of TXL) and for pure comedy unless you are a Canadian taxpayer look up the whole sad story of the Montreal Stade Olympique.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I quite liked Mirabel in the day. Big and roomy with those cool shuttle busses to take you to the aircraft. The Big O wasn't that great, mind you, and getting there to watch the Expos was no fun.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:42 am

Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by kubrick
Warning: the TXL bus line has been shortened and does not go to Alexanderplatz anymore. The bus only goes from the airport to Hbf now.

[…]

There is currently a plan to reactivate the airport-Alex connection. If everything goes fine the bus will return to Alex in mid-October or early November.
This has now happened (source in German). As of today, the TXL line has resumed service all the way between the airport and Alexanderplatz. There's also one additional bus per hour.

Mind you, it's still usually faster to take the S-Bahn between Hauptbahnhof and Alexanderplatz because the bus takes ages, but not having to change will be nice for those with kids or heavy luggage.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
YMX probably the biggest and costliest white elephant airport ever built and then abandoned within 30 years because no one wanted it ...
Let's wait and see whether DWC is going to be a success. Apart from a few regional flights and seasonal charters, there's basically no notable passenger traffic (410k passengers in the first half of 2016). Moreover, the project was initially to be completed by 2017. They expect DWC to be fully operational in 2027.

If DWC ultimately fails, it's going to be a bigger fail than BER or YMX.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 5:20 am

If DWC ultimately fails, it's going to be a bigger fail than BER or YMX.
I can't really see DWC failing. DXB is close to capacity and one of the possible solutions is to have EK take over and have all the other airlines at DWC. It's just a matter of time (although it may be a decade or two), before DWC get better utilised anyway.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Whether DWC fails in the traditional sense is not relevant, as it will be supported by the state, not unlike EK (initially at least).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.