Reload this Page >

Discussion about closing of TXL and opening of new airport BER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji

The Brandenburg Willy Brandt Airport was originally set to open in 2011; the opening has been postponed to October 2020.
https://simpleflying.com/berlin-bran...rport-opening/

It is being constructed adjacent to Schönefeld Airport, which it will replace.
Print Wikipost

Discussion about closing of TXL and opening of new airport BER

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by scubadu
I mean, I get that, and I realize many Berlin residents are almost rooting for BER to not open because of this convenience. But you do recognize, that at some point, with continued growth, Berlin will absolutely need a larger airport than TXL. I mean you get that, right?

Regards
Do you think?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
In the "C" gates? Yes, most of the time. Until U2 (and/or FR - they're still trying) really roll out.
"A" gates (LH) are more busy (bigger planes).
Depends...if you are on a LH flight to FRA it's always a mess. Even the two daily 744 rotations are regularly sold out.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:35 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
October 2020 announced. I feel like we’ve been down this road before....
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by seawolf
October 2020 announced.
Warten auf Godot
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by seawolf
October 2020 announced. I feel like we’ve been down this road before....
At least once or twice...

Regards
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:54 pm
Suspended

I'm with those who think existing buildings and infrastructure will be torn down and a proper airport will be built from scratch.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm with those who think existing buildings and infrastructure will be torn down and a proper airport will be built from scratch.
That’s my impression too. Still unbelievable but what else should work? There must be much more structural problems than we know.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Having done three returns to TXL in the last twelwe months, I always get the feeling having travelled in time, but not with help of a DeLorean. Admittingly as charming as recognizing furniture you first saw in your grandparents home

There must be stuff enough to make a soap opera out of the BER story - 'The New Airport' planned for 8 seasons to start. If the doomsday profets, predicting the demolition and new start, are right , this series could be running for decades. I wish I could say - Just like the airport - but will try not to add insult to injury
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52470012

Hopefully they are not going to cancel the opening last minute this time around.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: Grounded ex-Flyer
Berlin Tegel TXL closing 01 June, impact on summer flights (esp. EZY) ?

Dear all,

It has been announced that Berlin Tegel would close as of 01 June due to the coronavirus situation.
https://www.morgenpost.de/berlin/art...am-1-Juni.html

We had Easyjet flights booked for mid-July and are wondering what will happen. Plain cancellation or rerouting to another area airport ?
Can anyone share any further information they have, or direct experience (if you were in the same situation and have already heard from the airline, for example) ?

Thank you !
J-
Old May 1, 2020, 6:25 am
Suspended

You’ll be moved to Schönefeld SXF if this does happen. No big deal. More likely is that your flights will be cancelled and/or you would not be admitted to Germany (depending in your citizenships and entry regulations at the time.)
Old May 1, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: Grounded ex-Flyer
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You’ll be moved to Schönefeld SXF if this does happen. No big deal. More likely is that your flights will be cancelled and/or you would not be admitted to Germany (depending in your citizenships and entry regulations at the time.)
Thanks for the response !

You are correct that many parameters are unpredictable but for this one I assumed that (1) by then I could be allowed to enter Germany, as EU citizen and resident of Denmark which also has good control of the epidemic, and (2) that the flight would still be operating (as it stands today). Just focusing on the airport closure issue in a very, very complicated global situation !!

And I hear you say that we would just be rebooked to SXF... that leaves a little hope for now

Thanks again and kind regards,
J-
Old May 1, 2020, 7:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JudgeJ
Thanks for the response !

You are correct that many parameters are unpredictable but for this one I assumed that (1) by then I could be allowed to enter Germany, as EU citizen and resident of Denmark which also has good control of the epidemic, and (2) that the flight would still be operating (as it stands today). Just focusing on the airport closure issue in a very, very complicated global situation !!

And I hear you say that we would just be rebooked to SXF... that leaves a little hope for now

Thanks again and kind regards,
J-
There’s not much you can do, just monitor the flights and act if and when something changes. Good luck.
JudgeJ likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 1:58 am
Suspended

Looks like TXL set to shut on 15 June
Old May 20, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Aha...it's changing already. I'm really amazed a Schauspiel hasn't been made about this. Or what about an opera?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.