Reload this Page >

Discussion about closing of TXL and opening of new airport BER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji

The Brandenburg Willy Brandt Airport was originally set to open in 2011; the opening has been postponed to October 2020.
https://simpleflying.com/berlin-bran...rport-opening/

It is being constructed adjacent to Schönefeld Airport, which it will replace.
Print Wikipost

Discussion about closing of TXL and opening of new airport BER

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
confirmed
Delays are always confirmed But if something should be really really really GREAT, it needs time
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
At this rate, LGA will be done with its build-and-demolish while maintaining flight operations before BER is open.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
http://atwonline.com/airports-routes...e-lite-project

The Berlin Brandenburg International Airport (BER) supervisory board has agreed to the construction of a so-called Terminal T1-E’lite,’ which is designed to handle up to 6 million passengers and cost around €100 million ($114 million). It is expected to open in the first half of 2020.
It think it is a typo, they really meant first half of 2030.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Berliners vote to keep Tegel open even after BER opens

In a (non-binding) referendum held concurrently with the Federal elections yesterday, a majority of Berlin voters approved the "save Tegel" initiative which demands that the conveniently-located airport be kept open even after BER (eventually....) opens for business.
It is unclear if this will happen, as the vote is non-binding, the Berlin political leadership is not in favor of the initiative and the legal situation is complex as the closure of Tegel is written into law.
Travelers will benefit from keeping it open, though - Tegel is located much more conveniently to the city center, and the added capacity will likely mean more competition and cheaper fares.
http://www.dw.com/en/berlin-votes-to...pen/a-40667155
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
It will be like Milan in Italy, with Linate airport close to the city center and Malpensa way out in the Styx somewhere. The arrangement at Milan seems to work quite well and it would be good to have this option at Berlin.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I like the comparison with Milan. Another perfect example of politics meddling in airport operations in a very bad way. For those who don't know - politics wanted Malpensa as a huge hub airport and laws were created restricting who could fly where from Linate to make airlines move to MXP - search for 'decreto Bersani-Bis'. Didn't really work out.... Very similar to what happened in Dallas with DFW, DAL and the Wright Amendment.
The issue with BER is that it was planned (and built) too small and will be over capacity the day it eventually opens. Planners designed it for 27 million pax/year back in 2004, but TXL and SXF combined had 33 million passengers last year and numbers are continuing to grow rather rapidly.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I must say, having spent a lot of time today at Tegel, it definitely needs modernization and/or a new airport to take the pressure off. It's creaking at the seams, it wasn't built with so many passengers in mind. But I know that you all know that, obviously. It was just my renewal experience today that brought it home to me.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
So the story continues. It now looks like maybe the airport won't be ready to open until 2021.

According to this report http://www.focus.de/finanzen/news/er...d_7884802.html

TÜV Rheinland has found grave defects in technical systems especially in those related to fire safety that makes an opening before 2021 highly improbable!
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: LH SEN, AF Gold
Probably it would have been better to demolish everything 2 or 3 years ago and start all over again. Keeping in mind that whenever it will open, it will be too small based on today's projections.

Maybe we should start placing bets what will be ready first: BER or Stuttgart21? Ok that one will be delayed at least to 2025.
So BER has still a good chance to open first...
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by quaxpilot
Probably it would have been better to demolish everything 2 or 3 years ago and start all over again. Keeping in mind that whenever it will open, it will be too small based on today's projections.
For sure it would be better
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
My commute front door <-> SEN lounge at TXL is precisely 14 minutes...
PAX_fips likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I haven't been to TXL since the summer. But is it noticeably less hectic there now that AB has shuttered?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I haven't been to TXL since the summer. But is it noticeably less hectic there now that AB has shuttered?
In the "C" gates? Yes, most of the time. Until U2 (and/or FR - they're still trying) really roll out.
"A" gates (LH) are more busy (bigger planes).
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I mean, I get that, and I realize many Berlin residents are almost rooting for BER to not open because of this convenience. But you do recognize, that at some point, with continued growth, Berlin will absolutely need a larger airport than TXL. I mean you get that, right?

Regards
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
24 for me with a cab; 30 with a bus. I'm going to miss the convenience of TXL when I graduate. I also recently discovered taxis can drop you off at a door right in front of your gate! Imagine that! Part of me wishes all airports were like TXL. Another part of me is thrilled that they're not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.