Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Enough connection time at MUC & FRA: 35 min, 65 min.?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I'm looking at buying a Lufthansa ticket which goes TLL-MUC-FRA-ORD.

My question:
Would I have enough connection time:

35 min at MUC
65 min at FRA

Seems tight, but LH system is allowing me to book it.
I assume there are no terminal changes, but I understand I'll have to go through passport control at FRA. (I'm a US citizen)

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
It is doable, but pretty tough.

I don't know MUC so well as to comment how doable it is there, but in FRA you will land in Terminal A. Depending on what your gate is, it will already take up to 20 minutes to get to passport control and security checks. Depending on the time of your arrival, that may not be enough, especially if you factor in things like a 5-10 minute delay in landing (which can always happen) or a late start in MUC.

Long story short: I would not advise to make such a booking.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that's what I figured. I'll go with a different airline and better schedule.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, IHG Plat, HH Silver, DB BahnComfort
I agree with SunshineStay: doable but tough.

In Munich, *if* your flight from TLL is on time, you would have no problem. You are going from one Schengen country ton another, so there is no passport control and no second security check. You just need to walk from one gate to the other. This is like a domestic connection at a major US airport, say like Denver. But even in US domestic traffic, 35 minutes can be pretty short!

SunshineStay already covered FRA, so I won't repeat it.

Obviously, if you ticket and misconnect, it's Lufthansa's problem to rebook you and get you to your destination. If you don't have any premium seating and you don't need to be back right on time, then you could chance it. Otherwise...
Old Feb 1, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by david7031
I agree with SunshineStay: doable but tough.

In Munich, *if* your flight from TLL is on time, you would have no problem. You are going from one Schengen country ton another, so there is no passport control and no second security check. You just need to walk from one gate to the other. This is like a domestic connection at a major US airport, say like Denver. But even in US domestic traffic, 35 minutes can be pretty short!

SunshineStay already covered FRA, so I won't repeat it.
I would say that you are far more likely to make the Munich connection than at a major US airport. Munich is undoubtedly the most efficient large airport in Europe, and LH will work hard to ensure you make your connection. They have been known to meet late arriving flights to help get you to your connecting flight.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:35 pm

Keep the weather in mind.

It is frightfully cold here at the moment, with ice conditions (-15 to 30c) due to a Siberian front moving in. That can mean unexpected delay due to ice for some airlines, despite what the affected aiports announce.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.