Wiki Posts
Search

Munich / Salzburg

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2011, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Happily off the elite hamster wheel
Munich / Salzburg

I have a week at the end of July (23-30) where I have free to roam in Germany. I originally decided on a few days in Frankfurt and a few in Munich, but much to the advice of friends and what it seems is many people on FT, I should just spend almost no time in Frankfurt, and more time in Munich and Salzburg.

That being said....I have only been to Amsterdam, and that was only for 16 hours over a long layover. Some background for me: Went to university for music at a major US conservatory (probably influencing me to stay longer in Salzburg), and I like activities/adventures that extend my comfort zone....such as renting a car to go from Munich to Salzburg and return without knowing German (took a year of it in college, but don't remember most of it), and still needing to learn how to drive a manual transmission car...or eating food that one could see Andrew Zimmern eating on Bizarre Foods.

My flight is out of FRA at night on July 30, so I need to be back in Munich at least by the morning of July 30 to take the train to FRA.
  1. How would you split up 6 nights between Munich & Salzburg?
  2. Is it a bad idea for me to rent a car to go to Salzburg from Munich instead of taking the train? (I already know it will probably cost more after paying for gas, parking, tolls. And of course I'll have to use a navigation system.)
  3. If I should just use the train everywhere, would it be smarter to get a train pass for the week? Does such a thing exist for my travel plans?
I will be in the Basel area performing in the Basel Tattoo prior to this trip, so I would probably need to take a train from there to Munich, too.

Any help/insights would be greatly appreciated!

(alot of the adventures I seek is to challenge myself, to say I did it, and for my blog: Get Gowing)
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:14 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm sorry that I can't actually help with your question (never been to Munich) but I am cheekily jumping in to ask my own related question which might be helpful...
I need to get to Salzburg later in June, and direct flight timings don't work so am flying into MUC and then hiring a car. I vaguely recall that there's a highway toll in Austria, but I've always hired within Austria before so the cars came with the ticket. Will a hire car from MUC (Hertz) have the Austrian ticket ? If not, how can I buy one easily ?
Thanks
Old Jun 8, 2011, 5:08 am

The Bayern ticket, which is 25€ I believe and good for up to 5 people, covers all public transport in Bavaria, including Salzburg too. Just go to the Hbf in Munich and stand near the shop by the end of the tracks on the north side of the station, I forgot the number of the tracks, but they are probably in the 20s. You will see a bunch of people standing around waiting, and just start asking if any are going to Salzburg. The Bayern ticket though, does not allow you to travel on the ICE, but you can save a ton of money.

My professors in Munich had said Salzburg can be a daytrip if you take the earliest and latest trains there and back, so I don't know how many nights I would stay. Maybe one night if any? I would try to stay in Munich as long as possible though, and just enjoy the biergartens, bier, food, and culture. I would visit Schloß Nymphenburg as well, very nice, and is just outside the city.

2 hours away is Castle Neuschwanstein, and again is accessable via Bayern Ticket, there is also Chiemsee and Linderhof nearby which are supposed to be beautiful, but I haven't visited yet.

I studied for 5 months in Munich, and currently intern in NRW, if you need any more info, just ask, and there are a couple other knowledgeable people on here too.

If you venture a little further, Prague is 4 hours away (2 nights will do it), and you can get there quite cheap with a Bayern-Bohemian ticket which is 33€, again for 5 people, and takes you to the Czech/German border, and from there it is about 8€ on top of that. Can take a night train there or back, or even to Vienna. That two less nights to pay for, and you can visit another city if you want.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 5:09 am

Programs: KLM, Thalys
There is much to see in both cities (Munich and Salzburg), especially if you like music, so, for your first trip, I would suggest three days in each. Perhaps after this experience, you will change it next time. Three days is not so long for either one.

I think it is silly to rent a car. The train ride is about 1.5 hours and costs (with discount) as little as €19 (each way) if you buy your tickets in enough time. If you like a challenge, try booking your ticket from the German web site in German (http://www.bahn.de/p/view/buchung/fa..._buchung.shtml).

The German railroad has many price offers (http://www.bahn.de/p/view/angebot/an...bkanal_020=1#3) and, again if you buy your ticket in advance enough, the prices may even be cheaper than a rail pass, especially if you buy the US one.

Good luck.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 7:50 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
I grew up in the area between Munich and Salzburg. Quite a nice area. It all comes down to your interests. For a start (for places besides Munich and Salzburg), I would suggest to have a look to an answer I gave quite some time ago:

Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
Well, I did not grow up in Salzburg but about 90km north of it.

Salzburg has way too many things to do in the summer months. Public transportation is pretty good and train connections to the rest of Europe are not bad either.

I strongly recommend to get

In terms of sightseeing, I can recommend three places:

If you have specific questions, pls. feel free to PM me.
            Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: *A Senator; FB Gold ;-), BA Bronze ;-( More other plastic than I can carry!
            I would split it 3 and 3. Both great cities. Obviously the train is the cheapest and right thing to do. Then again how often does a guy from NJ have the chance to drive a German Autobahn WITHOUT a speed limit? They do have automatics for rent. It is a fun and very scenic drive. I would not worry about the German, almost everybody speaks English like Arnold Schwartzenegger ;-)
            Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:09 am
            mp2

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
            I second the option of a BayernTicket.

We were in Munich and Salzburg for 10 days over Christmas. Our base "camp" was at Munich, and we were planning to rent a car to see the castles as well as Salzburg.

We were happy we chose the BayernTicket. The trains are amazing, frequent, and fast. The price is very cheap too. 25 for 1 passenger and 29 for upto 5 people (Yes, 5 people can travel for 29). These were the prices in late 2008.

In terms of things to see, I didn't like Salzburg quite a bit. Yes, if you like Sound of Music, there are a few things to see there. If you venture a bit beyond Salzburg, you'll be rewarded with some awesome views.

Munich: Ton of things to see here. The Flight Museum is a good place to visit. So is the Auto museum, and a few other museums. The castles (Neuschweinstein and Hohenschwangau) are great places to go too. And then there are good beer gardens, restaurants etc.

We had stayed one night in Salzburg, and 5 in Munich, as we used Munich as our base location for venturing out.

Do try to get hotels near the train station (main or subway). You'll thank yourself for it later
            Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: BahnCard Comfort, Bahn Bonus, Enrich Blue
            Your car does not care in what language you swear at the surrounding traffic. If you want the 'adventure' of dealing with the German language, try the train wher you'll deal with real people. (You will soon fid out that most people here speak at least some English, though.) Besides, the train is notably cheaper and more environment-friendly.
            Old Jun 8, 2011, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by EventHorizon
            Can take a night train there or back, or even to Vienna. That two less nights to pay for, and you can visit another city if you want.
            Unfortunately the Munich/Stuttgart/Frankfurt-Prague night train no longer runs. I always found this train and its branches very convenient and well patronized. why was it dropped? Although it was made up of almost all Czech cars, I suspect the Germans found it too costly to operate.
            Old Jun 9, 2011, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Miles Hunter
            I would split it 3 and 3. Both great cities. Obviously the train is the cheapest and right thing to do. Then again how often does a guy from NJ have the chance to drive a German Autobahn WITHOUT a speed limit? They do have automatics for rent. It is a fun and very scenic drive. I would not worry about the German, almost everybody speaks English like Arnold Schwartzenegger ;-)
            The Autobahn to Salzburg has quite a lot speedlimits. Better take the train. Besides parking in Salzburg is quite pricey
            Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:23 am
            FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
            Originally Posted by Miles Hunter
            Then again how often does a guy from NJ have the chance to drive a German Autobahn WITHOUT a speed limit?
            If a guy from NJ wants to travel without a speed limit this guy should avoid the Autobahn from München to Salzburg, which is one of oldest and most crowded highways we have to offer.
            Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
            Do we have a Autobahn between Muich and Salzburg or are you referring to the 4/6 lane parking lane between both cities ?

Sie gilt als eine der gefährlichsten und am stärksten befahrenen Autobahnen in Deutschland, zum einen wegen des hohen Verkehrsaufkommens, zum anderen auf Grund ihres mangelnden Ausbauzustandes und hohen Alters. Besonders im Winter und bei Urlaubsverkehr gibt es Staus an den Hängen im Nordschwarzwald, beim Aufstieg zur Schwäbischen Alb insbesondere zwischen Aichelberg und Merklingen, zwischen dem Autobahnkreuz Ulm/Elchingen und Augsburg sowie im gesamten Abschnitt zwischen dem Kreuz München-Süd und der Bundesgrenze bei Salzburg, insbesondere am Irschenberg.
            The translation of Google (I could not resist to leave it unchanged - just have a look at Deer Mountain ):

It is considered one of the most dangerous and busiest motorways in Germany, due to a high volume of traffic, on the other because of their lack of development status and old age. Especially in the winter and holiday traffic, there are traffic jams on the slopes in the northern Black Forest, the ascent to the Swabian Alb in particular between Aichelberg and Merklingen, between the junction Ulm / Elchingen and Augsburg and the entire section between the intersection Munich-South and the state boundary with Salzburg, especially at the Deer Mountain.
            I you only want to travel between both cities, taking the train is indeed the superior choice.
            Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:28 pm
            FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
            Originally Posted by Spicy B
            1. How would you split up 6 nights between Munich & Salzburg?
            2. Is it a bad idea for me to rent a car to go to Salzburg from Munich instead of taking the train? (I already know it will probably cost more after paying for gas, parking, tolls. And of course I'll have to use a navigation system.)
            3. If I should just use the train everywhere, would it be smarter to get a train pass for the week? Does such a thing exist for my travel plans?
            I would split it up maybe 1/2 and 1/2, but I wouldn't spend a LOT of time in MUC. I just returned from a very interesting and FUN trip to MUC where the majority of the time was spent on the Romantic Road.
            That could easily be done with 3 days.. The other 2.5-3 days in SZG would be great as well!! I really like SZG.

No, not at all a bad idea. The smallish automatic that we rented (GF doesnt do manual tranny) had a navigation system built in and it REALLY helped. NO need to open a big arsed map and try to read where you're going. I'd do that again in a heartbeat.

I think you'll lose an awful lot of the adventure if you do the train, but if you did so, I'd say spend only 2 days in MUC and then head by train to SZG. You might even try to sneak in a trip to VIE in the latter case as well.

Have fun!!
            Dave
            Old Jun 23, 2011, 2:24 am
            Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
            Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
            Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm sorry that I can't actually help with your question (never been to Munich) but I am cheekily jumping in to ask my own related question which might be helpful...
            I need to get to Salzburg later in June, and direct flight timings don't work so am flying into MUC and then hiring a car. I vaguely recall that there's a highway toll in Austria, but I've always hired within Austria before so the cars came with the ticket. Will a hire car from MUC (Hertz) have the Austrian ticket ? If not, how can I buy one easily ?
            Thanks
            Answering my own question - the hire car didn't have an Austrian vignette, but they are available at the autobahn petrol stations near the border, €7,50 for 10 days. And the A8 was indeed as rubbish as everyone has said, in combination with some biblical rain yesterday afternoon/evening...
            Old Jun 26, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM, Marriott-PP/LT P, Avis-PC
            Does anyone have a link for an english language bus schedule in Salzburg? I am trying to figure out the departure point and times to go to Berchtesgaden (eagles nest tour).

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.