Wiki Posts
Search

Can I use Deutsche Marks

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2010, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Can I use Deutsche Marks

Found I had some Deutsche Marks in my foreign currrency box. Are these still usable or are they wall paper?
Old May 11, 2010, 7:48 pm

Programs: M&M
Yes, if you can first go to bank.

Originally Posted by cova
Found I had some Deutsche Marks in my foreign currrency box. Are these still usable or are they wall paper?
Old May 11, 2010, 7:56 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
The German Bundesbank will exchange DM for Euros which you then can use.
Old May 11, 2010, 8:31 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Definitely get them exchanged, don't waste your money. You can also exchange any coins you may have so bring everything with you.

Keep in mind that you can't do the conversion at just any bank, so do a search on where the Bundesbank has its offices that offer DM >>> Euro conversion.
Old May 11, 2010, 8:52 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Well, most Americans go through Frankfurt at some point and that's definitely "the place".

I don't know how much you have but if it is use a few bucks, you also might want to give them to the Lufthansa Charity (Help Alliance) They will gladly do it for you and bags to collect charity are on each LH flight.

Also, some stores once in a while run "pay with Deutsche Mark" promotions in Germany but for somebody not living in Germany, it's not really an easy catch.

Don't the "Landesbanken" take them as well?
Old May 11, 2010, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Cova -Here is the actual text from the Bundesbank
Can I still exchange or redeem old DM banknotes and coins?

You can exchange unlimited amounts of the banknotes and coins listed below indefinitely and free of charge at all Deutsche Bundesbank branches during the counter opening hours.

Banknotes and coins from the Bank deutscher Länder (BdL) – with the exception of the 50 Mark BdL note II (green), issued in 1948 (exchange stopped on 15 March 1951)
Bundesbank banknotes (banknote series BBk I/Ia and III/IIIa)
Federal coins denominated in Deutsche Mark or Pfennig – with the exception of the 2 DM coin first issue (1951, withdrawn from circulation on 1 July 1958)
The 50 Mark BdL note mentioned above can be submitted together with an application for reimbursement (only available in German) to the National Analysis Centre at the Bundesbank's Mainz Regional Office or to any other Bundesbank branch.

Banknotes and coins that were issued prior to 20 June 1948 can no longer be redeemed or exchanged into euro.

It is also possible to send DM cash to the address below. We must emphasise that if you send cash in this manner, you do so at your own risk and that information on permissible deliveries in Germany and abroad can only be obtained from the relevant delivery companies.

Exchange of DM banknotes and coins at the following address:

Address:
Deutsche Bundesbank
Branch Mainz
Hegelstrasse 65
55122 Mainz
Germany
Old May 11, 2010, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all,

I will be traveling to Munich and Berlin in a couple of weeks. Any place in either of those cities to exchange Marks?

Did some searching:

Leibnizstrasse 10
10625 Berlin

Ludwigstr. 13
80539 München

These look convenient.

Last edited by cova; May 11, 2010 at 10:05 pm
Old May 11, 2010, 10:38 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Since this has nothing to do with Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners) I'm moving it to the Travel & Dining - Germany forum.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod M&M forum
Old May 12, 2010, 2:52 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Thanks all,

I will be traveling to Munich and Berlin in a couple of weeks. Any place in either of those cities to exchange Marks?

Did some searching:

Leibnizstrasse 10
10625 Berlin

Ludwigstr. 13
80539 München

These look convenient.
Besides the addresses, it would be nice to know what there actually is?
Old May 12, 2010, 3:26 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Besides the addresses, it would be nice to know what there actually is?
Those are the addresses of the Bundesbank branches in Munich and Berlin.
Old May 12, 2010, 8:49 am

I think C&A still accepts DM. So maybe go buy some clothes?
Old May 12, 2010, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Previous threads on this very topic:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germa...-anything.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germa...nto-euros.html
Old May 26, 2010, 7:37 pm

Well, I'll definitely be tossing my little bag of old german coins in my suitcase for my trip next month...

Does anyone know if the Bundesbank would take my old Irish pounds, too? Their website says these are also being accepted for exchange indefinitely...but it does specifically say that it will take them.
Old May 27, 2010, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Neltron
Well, I'll definitely be tossing my little bag of old german coins in my suitcase for my trip next month...

Does anyone know if the Bundesbank would take my old Irish pounds, too? Their website says these are also being accepted for exchange indefinitely...but it does specifically say that it will take them.
The Bundesbank will not take your Irish pounds. For that, you need to deal with a commercial bank or the Irish central bank (http://www.centralbank.ie/frame_main...nv=ncn_nav.asp).
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:52 am
Original Poster

I went to the bank in Berlin today, but missed the closing time by 10 minutes. Google maps put you three blocks away - so that caused me to miss the closing time.

The times are Monday- Friday from 8am - 1pm.

Try again tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.