Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe including Turkey > Germany
Sign in using an external account

Old Dec 29, 07, 11:52 am   #1

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Plat, Kimpton IC
How to exchange old Deutsche Marks into Euros

I have some old Deutsche Marks I need to exchange into Euros. From what I can find on the web I need to go to a branch of the Bundesbank (in Germany obviously). Does anyone have any experience doing this?

I transit frequently through Munich and Frankfurt on my way to Asia from SF.
Is it possible to do it at any of the banks at the airport in either city?
aussieinsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 07, 12:51 pm   #2

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
"The Landesbanken = state banks" should take them as well. Unfortunately they are not located at the airports, the one in MUC is in the center.

I don't know how much you have to exchange but it might be worth just tossing them for charity. Lufthansa is still happy to take them with their onboard charity, you can pay with Deutsche Mark at C&A (German department store brand)...

There should be plenty of other possibilities to make use of it but just one way to exchange it into Euros! You have to use either the Bundesbank or one of the Landesbanken.
Old Dec 29, 07, 12:55 pm   #3

Programs: Severals Golds (BA, BD, AB and LH), Highest tier with HH, SPG and ICRA, lawyer, sometimes a nice guy
Sorry, normal banks will in general no longer do it (they did it until 02.2002). However, there is a possibility to mail the old notes in. You will find further information on the website of Bundesbank (which is certainly available in English):

http://www.bundesbank.de/bargeld/bar...notendm.en.php

Branches are available i.a. in

Munich:
80807 München,
Leopoldstraße 234

Frankfurt:
Taunusanlage 5
60329 Frankfurt/Main

but in a lot of smaller towns too. Caveat: Most branches are open for the public only until lunchtime. However, there is no hurry: Notes are valid indefinitely
Flying Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 07, 1:24 pm   #4
Senior Moderator; Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Some normal bank still accept DM if you have an account with them. I found some a few months ago and my sparkasse accepted them as deposit into my checking account with them.

So if you have a friend with a German bank account...
oliver2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 07, 1:46 am   #5

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Plat, Kimpton IC
Thanks all for the advice and the links, particularly the tip that branches are only open during the morning - looks like I'll need to pop into town during a layover. I've got 1,080DM that a friend in Nepal asked if I could exchange as her family had them from a trip (sometime ago obviously).

The Frankfurt Bundesbank looks much more convenient than the Munchen branch - only 1/2km from the Hbf, so I'll try there next time I go through Frankfurt although I'll be pushing it to get into town in time off the United flight from SFO....maybe a good excuse for an overnight in Germany.
aussieinsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 07, 2:53 am   #6

Programs: Severals Golds (BA, BD, AB and LH), Highest tier with HH, SPG and ICRA, lawyer, sometimes a nice guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieinsf View Post
Thanks all for the advice and the links, particularly the tip that branches are only open during the morning - looks like I'll need to pop into town during a layover. I've got 1,080DM that a friend in Nepal asked if I could exchange as her family had them from a trip (sometime ago obviously).

The Frankfurt Bundesbank looks much more convenient than the Munchen branch - only 1/2km from the Hbf, so I'll try there next time I go through Frankfurt although I'll be pushing it to get into town in time off the United flight from SFO....maybe a good excuse for an overnight in Germany.
Well, it is indeed only 20 minutes from the airport. You can exit the S-Bahn on Taunusanlage and there you are.
Old Dec 30, 07, 3:31 am   #7
DTS

Programs: LH FTL
Yep, branches of the Bundesbank. 1080 DM definitely worth it going there in person. But watch out, they are usually only open in the mid morning. Last year I wanted to exchange some DM at the Bundesbank in Mannheim and they closed at 12.30PM and I had to go there a second time. They also accept coins, in contrast to the Dutch banks, I still have 10 Gulden, now worthless piece of metall.
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 07, 3:44 am   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS View Post
Yep, branches of the Bundesbank. 1080 DM definitely worth it going there in person. But watch out, they are usually only open in the mid morning. Last year I wanted to exchange some DM at the Bundesbank in Mannheim and they closed at 12.30PM and I had to go there a second time. They also accept coins, in contrast to the Dutch banks, I still have 10 Gulden, now worthless piece of metall.
You were a little bit too late. Dutch coins were accepted until end December 2006.
Old Jan 2, 08, 2:00 pm   #9

Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada and Sacramento, CA, US; UA Explorer Elite
I stopped by the Dresden branch of the Bundesbank a few years ago, having checked their location and hours on the Internet. The transaction was done in a few minutes.
Reindeerflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 13, 2:08 pm   #10

Besides german mark many other currencies can still be exchanged at the local branches of national banks e.g. austrian schiling - Vienna; spanish peseta Madrid, dutch guilder - Amsterdam etc.
Plus there are services like www.euromoney24.com where you can send all leftover currencies in one shipment (via postal service) not having to travel to each.
And third you can as well donate these to many local UNICEF offices - i`ve seen it in USA, Australia, Austria and UK
So in case some of you still find such money do one of the above mentioned thing instead of "donating" it to the governments...
Helios1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 13, 6:09 am   #11

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, Le Club Silver, SPG, Hertz, Avis
Here is the official link to the English website of the Deutsche Bundesbank where it explains how to exchange your DM into Euro.
Exchange DM into Euro
Old Jan 30, 13, 10:11 am   #12

thanks caspitz. As far as I get it all remaining nationals banks take only their own money - meaning Germany only mark, Austria only Schilling etc. Which is quite anoying in case you have been travelling around
The ECB should have done a centralised service i guess.
Old Mar 17, 13, 10:02 am   #13

just for info: Spain reduced the time limit to exchange to 2020. Initially they said can be exchanged "for ever"...well the peseta will lose worth as many other already have...
Hope the other countries like Germany, Austria a.s.o. will not...
Old Mar 23, 13, 3:41 am   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios1848 View Post
thanks caspitz. As far as I get it all remaining nationals banks take only their own money - meaning Germany only mark, Austria only Schilling etc. Which is quite anoying in case you have been travelling around
The ECB should have done a centralised service i guess.
Why should the EZB be responsible to deal with former currencies of individual countries which were used 10 years back in the past. I am amazed about the long grace period anyhow. From a tax payer's perspective it would be better to no longer accept the old currency. Billions of Deutsche Mark resting in some obscure countries or with no less obscure syndicates would be off the balance sheet.

Do not feel offended by my posts - remember, I am a simple minded litigation lawyer.
Old Oct 1, 13, 10:07 am   #15

additional information concerning old leftover currencies:

Watch out the slovak koruna - at least the small money (i.e.coins) will lose their value at the end of 2013 - so be quick to exchange in Slovakia, via service like Euromoney24 or donate to Unicef.
and speaking of coins and D-Mark - you can only exchange at the counters (or with a service that does that for you)