Reload this Page >

Things to buy in Germany - unavailable in the USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things to buy in Germany - unavailable in the USA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 3:42 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
WMF cookware. It is the best. Haven't found much of a selection in the US. Depeneding on where you buy it, you may even be able to get the VAT refunded.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:41 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Electronics, as mentioned are a little cheaper in the US compared to Germany. There is just one thing to remember. In Germany you get a minimum two year warranty (law), in the US it's most likely half year to a year.

So if going to both places a lot and price is about the same, I'd buy in Germany for a couple of reasons (sales tax return for US residents) and higher warranty...
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:06 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by tfar
... I must admit I am so well adapted to the American lifestyle now that I am perfectly happy with KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce and peanut butter in lieu of curry ketchup and nutella.

Till
Surely not together, I hope!
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:14 pm
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
What I always have to bring with me when I visit my aunt: Tchibo coffee, Sabtil (in a collapsible tube, this is the only way she get's really dirty laundry clean with US washing machines) and Bepanthen (which I started to bring for me aswell when I travel through the US)
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:58 pm
JBa

Programs: some
German food in the US

By searching the internet you find several stores that also do ship. There is a big deli in Dallas that has curryketchup. A little expensive, but still cheaper than a trip to Germany.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 6:03 am

Programs: LH SEN
When I was there, I used to miss Lebkuchen, Gluehwein, Essig Reiniger, Milka cocoa, etc... until I found out I could find most of these German stuff at Amazon.com.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 6:17 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I always load up on Rittersport when I'm in Germany. You can get some varieties at World Market in the States, but there are so many different (and good/unique) varieties that are difficult or expensive to get in the States.

Friends and co-workers ask for Christmas-related carvings from Oberammergau and nearby areas, and my mom has purchased several pairs of shoes from there that the raves about.

Generally, I've not found clothes or electronics to be a good deal in Germany - I can always find something comparable for less back in the US. That said, my favorite t-shirts come from Germany...

I've also been asked to bring back liver soup (I think - have to check my email) from Vinzenmurr (might be an umlaut over the u - not sure if these are all over Germany, but they're certainly present in Bavaria).
Old Nov 24, 2009, 8:00 am
Original Poster

WMF cookware is indeed an excellent idea. Good point.

As for warranty, I usually buy stuff with a CC that gives me an extra year of warranty. I find that a lot of electronics are really so much cheaper in the US that even if you subtract the VAT, it is still cheaper in the US.

The German Deli in Dallas in amazing, indeed. I have ordered sugar cones to make a Feuerzangenbowle there. They are reliable and have also other German products.

For example, I saw that I can even find Elmex toothpaste over the internet but it does cost almost double of what it costs in Germany. So I just brought a tube back with me.

Maria, not sure which Essigreiniger you mean, but usually you can simply use 6% distilled vinegar for your cleaning duties. I use that all the time. There is a little book called 500 uses for vinegar (or something like that). It's amazing what you can do with it. So probably it is not necessary to use the German variety.

In terms of wood carvings I was thinking of those little wood figures and carousels for Christmas from the Fichtelgebirge. They are very expensive even in Germany but they are indeed typically German and hard to find anywhere else, at least in the same quality. The Schwarzwald Kuckucksuhr would be another example like that.

I haven't even heard of Sabtil. What is it exactly?

For traveling, and general purpose cleaning, Rei in der Tube is a great all purpose cleaner. But with Marseille soap you can accomplish basically the same thing in a dry format.

Ecco, Mephisto and Arche shoes should all be cheaper in Germany, now that someone mentioned shoes. They offer a good range of models that are formal enough for business duty but comfortable enough for traveling.

vysean, what are your favorite t-shirts? I got some warm Angora/silk underwear from Medima when in Germany. Normally hard to get in the US, too. My HOM HO1 boxer brief underwear is almost impossible to buy here. So I always bring some back.

Till
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:25 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by tfar

Maria, not sure which Essigreiniger you mean, but usually you can simply use 6% distilled vinegar for your cleaning duties. I use that all the time. There is a little book called 500 uses for vinegar (or something like that). It's amazing what you can do with it. So probably it is not necessary to use the German variety.

Till
I like to wash my WMF pots with "Frosch" Essig Reiniger (2 words), specially after cooking things that contain starch or boiling eggs. When in the US, I used to buy gallons of Heinz vinegar and used that to rinse my pots. The result was not the same.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MariaSF
I like to wash my WMF pots with "Frosch" Essig Reiniger (2 words), specially after cooking things that contain starch or boiling eggs. When in the US, I used to buy gallons of Heinz vinegar and used that to rinse my pots. The result was not the same.
It includes more than just vinegar--
http://detvo.werner-mertz.de/product...&pro_id=100291
Old Nov 24, 2009, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Honey & Mustard

We always bring back German honey. We particularly like the Rapshonig and Heidehonig. I haven't really found anything in the US that compares.

Also I love German mustard, particularly the 'scharfer' variety from Schwerter Senfmuehle near Dusseldorf: http://www.schwerter-senfmuehle.de/nav1024.htm Again, haven't found anything quite like it in the US.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by mangoMan
We always bring back German honey. We particularly like the Rapshonig and Heidehonig. I haven't really found anything in the US that compares.
Trader Joe's carries honey that is pretty much like it, at least in the NJ/NYC area (not sure if they carry the same products all over the US)
Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:04 am
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
Sabtil and Rei in der Tube is basically the same thing...
Old Nov 25, 2009, 7:53 am

Programs: BahnCard Comfort, Bahn Bonus, Enrich Blue
The trick about Saptil (sp!), however, is the integrated brush at the top of the tube that makes scrubbing stains easier.

I should open a mail order service, there seems to be a market for our German products beyond the pond.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 8:09 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Electronics, as mentioned are a little cheaper in the US compared to Germany. There is just one thing to remember. In Germany you get a minimum two year warranty (law), in the US it's most likely half year to a year.

So if going to both places a lot and price is about the same, I'd buy in Germany for a couple of reasons (sales tax return for US residents) and higher warranty...
Indeed, for portable electronics. For mains-based electronics, the voltage barrier keeps electronics from opposite sides of the Atlantic Ocean from being useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.