Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things to buy in Germany - unavailable in the USA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
For anyone in Chicago, I'll put in a word for a couple stores in Lincoln Square.

Although no longer owned by Germans, Gene's Sausage Shop continues many of the traditions of the former Delicatessen Meyer (Mayer?). We were in there on Saturday and the store was overflowing with imported German Christmas treats (as well as a fair number of Germans themselves!) - you can even pick up a German newspaper by the checkout stand - marzipan, chocolates, Kolner Stollen, many kinds of cookies in what certainly looked like the actual German packaging (I didn't compare ingredient lists). The deli has an amazing variety of products including like 12 kinds of LiverWurst, and Wieswurst with or without parsley (yum). When they asked my "what like of Liverwurst do you want" I stared like the deer in the headlights until the person standing next to me said "you want the calves liver" and the taste brought me back to my childhood.

Upstairs, they have a huge selection of European food products that you never see here, and again many of them were so specialized that I do not believe they would bother with an American version. As far as I could tell this was the real deal.

Just down the street is the wildly overpriced Merz Apothecary, but if you are really in need of something like the European Nivea line or German toothpaste, they're likely to have it.

Last edited by milepig; Dec 21, 2010 at 11:29 am
Old Dec 21, 2010, 6:03 pm

Programs: USAirways CP
We just returned from a 12 day trip to Germany (includes two days in Salzburg) and what I miss most are:

1. The number of places you can quickly pick up fresh sandwiches. The quality of the food, even in places at train stations blow away most US food. When I go into a Subway now, I wish the quality was the same as those cafes or sandwich shops in Germany. (I was also surprised at the number of restaurants Subway has in Germany. We never visited one so I can't say what they have or how good the food may be.)

2. Pastries/breads. Yumm.

3. Pretzels. Certainly seem tastier than ones in the US.

4. French fries. Not sure how they do it but even when we got them at Christmas markets with temps in the 20s, the last fry seemed as hot as the first one I ate.

5. Beer.

I'm not much of a food explorer but I sure miss the quality of the food. We even lost a few pounds during the trip. I guess all of the walking we did and lack of sugary snacking helped.

I also appreciated the effort the cafe employees (owners?) put into maintaining the appearance of the place. We went into one very small cafe (coffee shop) in Rothenburg during a snow storm (Dec 8th or 9th) to warm up and had some tea and pastries. While sitting there I was admiring the care and the quality of the furnishings. Even the ceiling was of high quality and had some nice moldings to it (sorry I'm not a craftsman so the term may not be correct).
Old Dec 23, 2010, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by richinaz
We just returned from a 12 day trip to Germany (includes two days in Salzburg) and what I miss most are:

1. The number of places you can quickly pick up fresh sandwiches. The quality of the food, even in places at train stations blow away most US food. When I go into a Subway now, I wish the quality was the same as those cafes or sandwich shops in Germany. (I was also surprised at the number of restaurants Subway has in Germany. We never visited one so I can't say what they have or how good the food may be.)

4. French fries. Not sure how they do it but even when we got them at Christmas markets with temps in the 20s, the last fry seemed as hot as the first one I ate.

5. Beer.

I'm not much of a food explorer but I sure miss the quality of the food. We even lost a few pounds during the trip. I guess all of the walking we did and lack of sugary snacking helped.

I also appreciated the effort the cafe employees (owners?) put into maintaining the appearance of the place. We went into one very small cafe (coffee shop) in Rothenburg during a snow storm (Dec 8th or 9th) to warm up and had some tea and pastries. While sitting there I was admiring the care and the quality of the furnishings. Even the ceiling was of high quality and had some nice moldings to it (sorry I'm not a craftsman so the term may not be correct).
And the current egg scare is giving the feds all the more reason to further dumb down and homagenize our food. All in the name of safety. Meanwhile millions of Europeans live to ripe old ages. Very sad.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.
Originally Posted by richinaz

Subway in Germany is not any better than anywhere else, but the quality and variety of fresh, quick and tasty snacks available at any decent-sized train station is indeed mind boggling.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: HH Dia, WOH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plt
I like to go to places like stationary stores, home improvement stores, large department stores, and the like and look for things similar to what is in the US but with a German feel. Or things that just have lots of German Language on them, like an "Vorsicht, bissiger Hund!" sign or metric measuring cups or the like. Whatever someone's hobby is, find the stuff associated with that hobby in Germany.

I also like to bring back as much beer as possible. It is amazing how low the import duties have been that I've had to pay, when in fact I had to pay them.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:54 am

Is there a thread "Things to buy in the US - unavailable in Germany" ?

I miss Vitamin Water and Pibb
Old Jan 9, 2011, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Curry ketchup :-)
I saw a giant bottle at Cost Plus World Market recently! The prices there have really risen sharply, and the selection varies greatly by store and by region, I find.

I have also seen various types of German honey in Cost Plus, for whoever was looking for some upthread. (That is one thing which I find does not travel all that well, although I did recently finish a jar which started at MUC and made its way around the world a few times in the suitcase)
Old Jan 10, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by saschaa
Is there a thread "Things to buy in the US - unavailable in Germany" ?

I miss Vitamin Water and Pibb
There is plenty I could think off that I also order on a regular base so my friends can bring it over (or I pick it up myself) ;-)
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:34 pm

It must be Easter season!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/us-guard-ag...11836-288.html

The United States takes its ban on chocolate eggs with toys inside very seriously, a Canadian woman discovered when she was threatened at the border with a 300-dollar fine over a Kinder Surprise, media said Tuesday
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
I am surprised no one mentioned Fanta. The US version tastes very different!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
sauer scharf soup

I love the sauer scharf soup that they have in the Cinese Restaurants in Germany. It's kind of like Hot and Sour soup in the US but much tastier.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern
I would suggest to buy Kinder Riegel, it's the same chocolate, just without the surprise:-)
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by saschaa
I would suggest to buy Kinder Riegel, it's the same chocolate, just without the surprise:-)
But the chocolate is not the good part (in fact it used to get tossed or given to someone else if anyone who would actually eat it was around). The toy was the point of the egg, not the chocolate.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:57 am

But the chocolate is not the good part (in fact it used to get tossed or given to someone else if anyone who would actually eat it was around). The toy was the point of the egg, not the chocolate.
well, I just like the chocolate, not the plastic toy
Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL AA
I bought those is Austin a week before Christmas. The store usually has a box of them up near the cash register.

In Germany I stock up on jams and preserves, hit the spice section, get some of the different types of vinegar and then load up on candy. No High Fructose Corn Syrup there. And all the bier I can safely carry home.

Eating in train stations is the best, Crobag beats Subway hands down, and Nordsee is the ultimate in healthy, good fast food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.