Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$49 to buy extra stretch seat.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2024, 7:58 am

Elite benefits chart has been updated showing Diamonds get free Upfront Plus at checkin (just for themselves, not for the group). Also shows it is only through the end of 2024. Not sure if that's 100% the case, if they want to see what the data shows with upsells shortly before departure, or if they plan to make it more of a eurobusiness cabin with a free snack/drink next year.
iahphx, HawaiiDave and payam81 like this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 10:47 am

Programs: Frontier (50k), Southwest, Wyndham (Diamond), Hyatt (Discoverist), National (Executive), Amex (Plat)
Originally Posted by aerosly
I'm curious to see how this unfolds when the middle seats are sold/reserved and the flight is overbooked (or an entitled Karen pax decides she's just going to self-upgrade). A dozen donuts says we eventually hear of someone paying for this feature and someone getting put in that seat anyway.
Replying to my own post because I got to see this in action today on a flight MCO-CLT on my very first flight after the enhancement rolled out.

First, Im in 3C because Im too cheap to pay $49 for my usual 1A. I checked at check-in, and all of the seats in rows 1 and 2 were $49 extra, and middle seats were empty in those rows once boarding was complete, so Im reasonably certain the people in those rows paid the extra 💰 to be there.

On the flight itself, first a uniformed F9 employee boarded last, and they directed him to 2B. There were some dirty looks from 2A and 2C, but no audible complaints.

Then, there were weight and balance issues that required moving people from the back to the front. People were randomly selected from the back and moved to 1B, 1E and 2E. This was met with some
pretty vocal complaints from people who definitely paid to be there and werent too happy about it.

The FAs response was, I understand that, and Id be upset too, but this is an unusual situation. She then followed up with a more general comment of, Id rather move people to these seats than take people off who are trying to go home.

In other words sorry you got scammed into paying $49 and not getting anything for it, better luck next time.

I love F9, so I wish I could say Im surprised.
pretzlaff likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 7:55 pm

I took my first flights since this gambit was rolled out. Six of them, in fact. Roundtrips to PHL, LGA, and ATL. I was able to sit in either 3C or 3D for the first two cities, sat in 4C and 4D for ATL. All six flights had the middles in row 1 and 2 open. Worse, LGA had nobody in row 1 either flight, and PHL nobody in rows 1 and 2 on outbound from CLE. Aside from being unfriendly to all Elites, I question the wisdom of offering these $49 upgrades on flights that are barely over an hour.

For the record, 5 of the 6 flights were barely half full, with the ATL return to CLE being the only flight was moderately full. At 50 percent or so of seats sold, most at $19 or $29 fares, these flights will not be long for this world. Yes, some bags were sold, but it can't have been enough to make up for all of the empty seats. In fact, the flight attendants allowed passengers to move up to the first couple of rows --the "premium" seats-- once the seating count was completed.

Just providing data points...
pretzlaff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.