Wiki Posts
Search

Question about 100k The Works benefit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2022, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, BA, SPG
Question about 100k The Works benefit

New 100k elite here. I need to book a trip for my family of 4 and there a possibility that I won't be able to join them. If I book the 4 tickets and get the free Works benefit, what happens if have to cancel my ticket? Do they get charged for the Works? Would it be better for me to no-show in that situation? Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Interesting question. Just guessing, but I would be prone to 'no show' and lose the ticket price for the one seat. Others will be able to board and the 'loss' of the 100k member will not be noted in time to change anything.

I would only do this as one-way tickets, tho. Might have trouble on the return otherwise.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Id scan seat and say party paying for two seats while using only one unless you are doing one way travel.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
You're not able to cancel the 100k member off the reservation - would need to cancel the entire reservation and start again.

If the 100k member checks in and just no shows on the flight - as pretzlaff mentioned they wouldn't kick the companions off the flight. If the flight is full, they might assign somebody else the seat.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, Frontier 100K
Hey! Did you ever get any datapoints on what happened here? Planning something similar
Old Jan 17, 2024, 7:39 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
Have had experience with this exact scenario. If you check in and no show the companions get all the benefits of your status. As suggested by others, you must book one-way flights to avoid cancellation of return flight. DO NOT cancel and seek refund. You will cancel the entire reservation for all your companion passengers. The loss of your ticket is more than made up by the discounts and fee waivers. If asked by flight crew of whereabouts, should respond "do not know came by separate transportation was to meet at airport. He/she must have been delayed." All passengers got to their destination without any issues.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a 100K I was once unable to make a flight and my companion flew without me. No problem. She didn't check any bags, but I assume she could have. If you think you might not be able to make the flight, book yourself in the middle seat so hopefully that will remain empty. In my case, the plane was full and there were standbys, and they filled my vacant seat at the last minute. They were apparently calling my name at the boarding area before giving my seat away.
birdmcfly likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by jdawg
You're not able to cancel the 100k member off the reservation - would need to cancel the entire reservation and start again.

If the 100k member checks in and just no shows on the flight - as pretzlaff mentioned they wouldn't kick the companions off the flight. If the flight is full, they might assign somebody else the seat.
Frontier can split the reservation and cancel one. I've only cancelled the other non-status passenger before. Has anyone ever tried to cancel just the 100k member?
Old Jan 26, 2024, 6:30 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Reaching
Frontier can split the reservation and cancel one. I've only cancelled the other non-status passenger before. Has anyone ever tried to cancel just the 100k member?
​​​​​​

​​​​​​yes chat agent first said not possible. next chat agent agreed it was possible then told us there was an issue and the system would remove all the 'options and seats' from the passengers on the split (non status passenger) booking.

we agreed and 5 seconds later we had a new email conf #. that was fine since the family members only had personal item.
​​​
trmbn65 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:30 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by expert7700
​​​​​​

​​​​​​yes chat agent first said not possible. next chat agent agreed it was possible then told us there was an issue and the system would remove all the 'options and seats' from the passengers on the split (non status passenger) booking.
​​​
Great info! I was wondering this as well. Have, currently, only cancelled everybody off an itinerary but may need to cancel just one of my brothers off an itinerary to Florida next month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.