Has points expiration changed to 8 months?

Old Aug 3, 19, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time ... US Silver, AA Gold
Has points expiration changed to 8 months?

Both my wife and I had activity in July, 2019 and our expiration date is showing as March, 2020. Six months would be January. Is this standard?
Old Aug 4, 19, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I dunno. Would hope so...I've always thought their expirations are way too aggressive and they're missing a real bet on not pressing the FF program advantage. For the longest time the FF programs were what the legacies used as a cudgel against the LCCs, but with the revenue based model and elimination of charts, the tables have turned and the LCCs have better programs for many people, especially leisure travelers. I'm not sure they really realize it or the marketing opportunity it presents.

It appears it's sorta starting to dawn on Frontier, at least with this Family Pooling thing (which I believe is going to confuse a lot of people). But if they plan on continuing to promote the FF program as a competitive advantage, they do need to do something about the aggressive expirations.
Old Aug 6, 19, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
My last activity was 5/29 and expiration date is 1/29. Still about two weeks before my next flight.

Yes pooling does confuse me. My wife has 60k points and the Barclays card which I believe makes her eligible for pooling. Can we use 15k of her points + 5k of mine to book a flight before my points expire?

Last edited by BrlDsguise; Aug 6, 19 at 5:43 pm
Old Aug 12, 19, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by dwcatty View Post
Both my wife and I had activity in July, 2019 and our expiration date is showing as March, 2020. Six months would be January. Is this standard?
Check again - I just went from 1/29/20 to 11/29/19 expiration.
Old Aug 12, 19, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time ... US Silver, AA Gold
Thank god for my 71 Marriott points a week ago. My wife and I both just lost two months. Thanks for the heads up.

We need Frontier to do a Grand Slam, whatchewthink?
Old Aug 13, 19, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise View Post
My last activity was 5/29 and expiration date is 1/29. Still about two weeks before my next flight.

Yes pooling does confuse me. My wife has 60k points and the Barclays card which I believe makes her eligible for pooling. Can we use 15k of her points + 5k of mine to book a flight before my points expire?
Yes. I redeemed from my pool and it took the oldest points from my account and then I had 3 old flights from my kids that it also took before taking the rest from mine. Looks to be based on the date of activity.
Old Aug 14, 19, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by lidosjawn View Post
Yes. I redeemed from my pool and it took the oldest points from my account and then I had 3 old flights from my kids that it also took before taking the rest from mine. Looks to be based on the date of activity.
That probably wont help me - my wife's points may be older than mine even though mine are set to expire sooner.
Old Aug 14, 19, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise View Post
That probably wont help me - my wife's points may be older than mine even though mine are set to expire sooner.
Hmmm... Well if you all have a common pairing you fly maybe just book something way out. One of the overlooked things is that Frontier's change policy on award tickets is actually really lack. From the terms and conditions:

Any changes to Award tickets made eight or more days prior to travel will not incur a change fee if the class of service is available for the new flight requested.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: