Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

Frontier Flight Attendants Now Accepting Gratuities?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:17 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I don't see anything in the article you quote mentioning Delta. It appears to be mostly about Frontier, unless I missed something.

I did see a DL FA accept a tip -- ONE TIME -- just for the record. It kinda surprised me!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
If Frontier is expecting its customer base to supplement income to FA's in the form of tips, they should be ashamed of themselves. When I purchase a $600 r.t. fare, I expect a certain level of service in economy class that is comprised of getting a little plastic cup half filled with water. This is the job of the FA to provide, and is not deserving of a tip. Tips are reserved for when someone goes out of their way to make a service unique or extraordinary.

I'm sorry, but this is shameful. Frontier should be ashamed, and the flight attendants should be embarrassed to present this option to a customer that has already paid for the service rendered aboard the aircraft.
FlyingNone and gordon0808 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:02 am

There was an option to tip on a flight I took in May '18 after I purchased a beer.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by jjmoore
When I purchase a $600 r.t. fare, I expect a certain level of service in economy class that is comprised of getting a little plastic cup half filled with water. This is the job of the FA to provide, and is not deserving of a tip. Tips are reserved for when someone goes out of their way to make a service unique or extraordinary.
I cannot remember the last time I paid a $600 rt fare on Frontier... Ohh yeah I cannot remember because it has never happened.
jjbiv and lowmiles like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by lidosjawn
I cannot remember the last time I paid a $600 rt fare on Frontier... Ohh yeah I cannot remember because it has never happened.
Mostly last minute.... have used them to do DEN-BOI, DEN-PVR, DEN-MKE and paid north of $600 for those trips....
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's going to be some fool who tips. Probably fewer than one per flight, but somebody. Heck, people now tip at takeout counters, so why not? My guess though is that unless tippng catches on with other airlines -- and I doubt it will -- this is going to be a silly oddity.
lowmiles likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by iahphx
There's going to be some fool who tips. Probably fewer than one per flight, but somebody. Heck, people now tip at takeout counters, so why not? My guess though is that unless tippng catches on with other airlines -- and I doubt it will -- this is going to be a silly oddity.
I'm no fan of any expansion of tipping precisely BECAUSE I don't trust managements in the U.S. and think they'll try to find some way to lower fixed compensation if they think tips are coming in nicely. Heck, in the restaurant industry some establishments will pool the tips and also divide out among non-serving staff (like cooks)...they claim they're acting in the name of fairness to the less-visible members of the "team," but what they're really trying to do is pay the least possible fixed compensation all around and tell the most people they're on their own with tips. And then keep menu prices the same so that no savings is passed to the consumer.

The situation with this is bad enough if confined to the traditional tipped jobs (i.e. pay the server the tipped minimum wage but pay the cook and busboy a regular wage or salary). We don't need it to spread to more job types (sorry, sub-sandwich preparers or flight attendants).

BTW, anytime flight attendants are treated in a way they see as demeaning they'll pull out the safety card (their primary purpose is safety), so that's all the more reason they should be salaried.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by RustyC
I'm no fan of any expansion of tipping precisely BECAUSE I don't trust managements in the U.S. and think they'll try to find some way to lower fixed compensation if they think tips are coming in nicely. Heck, in the restaurant industry some establishments will pool the tips and also divide out among non-serving staff (like cooks)...they claim they're acting in the name of fairness to the less-visible members of the "team," but what they're really trying to do is pay the least possible fixed compensation all around and tell the most people they're on their own with tips. And then keep menu prices the same so that no savings is passed to the consumer.
I am not a Frontier customer, but I just heard about this on the news. I was curious, if I was so inclined to tip, how would I know that the tip would go to the FA providing the service (I assume the tip is a portion of an electronic transaction)?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:27 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by RustyC
BTW, anytime flight attendants are treated in a way they see as demeaning they'll pull out the safety card (their primary purpose is safety), so that's all the more reason they should be salaried.
Agree. It makes the argument that a FA is here for safety and not to be a waiter/waitress a bit less clear.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by TBD
It makes the argument that a FA is here for safety and not to be a waiter/waitress a bit less clear.
Tip, and you can be first down the slide in an evacuation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.