Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carrier Interface Charge / "CIC"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:40 am

That is odd, Rhody. I asked Frontier on Twitter and they stated that there was no fee for purchasing a ticket in the airport. When you say that the ticket was $6 more than booking online, were you using a promo code for the ticket online? Promo codes can't be applied at the airport, so sometimes with a good promo code it is still cheaper to book online.

Or did the ticket agent specifically say that there was a $25 fee to book? If so, I think you should contact Frontier and get your $25 refunded.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:34 pm

The fare at the airport equaled the online fare minus the $19 CIC, but the lady at the ticket counter told me that she has to tack on the $25 airport purchase fee on top of the fare. I couldn't find anything on the website that said anything about this fee, and asked to speak with her manager. The manager confirmed that yes, all ticket purchases at the airport incur a $25 fee which is in addition to the base fare/taxes. I did not have a promo code. I called the call center and the guy told me that the $19 CIC was a government-imposed tax, which of course is not true, so I asked to speak with his supervisor, who said that only the airport could waive the CIC, and was not sympathetic to my concern that it seemed impossible for me to purchase a ticket without some carrier-imposed fee. It was all rather odd. I think I'll write to Frontier to see if they can clarify with me and/or the airport staff (I was at ORD). Because the $25 fee I was quoted was higher than the $19 CIC online, I did not purchase the ticket at the airport.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:55 am

I booked several reservations at the ticket counter in San Antonio yesterday and there was no airport booking fee charged. Round trip travel for two for the upcoming holidays for less than $100. I went to the airport in the late afternoon lull and there were more employees than customers. In and out in 20 minutes from the time I entered the parking garage to driving out. Very friendly service.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:55 pm

I'm glad to know that the fee is still waived at the airport. I would love to print something from Frontier's website in writing about it in case I try again and get the same manager, but Frontier doesn't exactly advertise this. I wrote to Frontier asking for an explanation for what happened to me but I don't expect them to respond. At least if no one else is having an issue, then if I do ever buy tickets again, I can call about the fee being waived, and if they refuse, well tickets more than 7 days in advance are always refundable within 24 hours of purchase.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:57 am

Try Twitter a public message to them generally gets a prompt response.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by adidas33999
Does anyone know if you can use a travel voucher because of a cancelled flight at the airport to avoid the CIC?
Yes, I can confirm you can use electronic vouchers at the airport; I did so yesterday!
Old Apr 24, 2021, 11:21 pm

I can confirm the carrier interface charge doesn't apply at the airport.
My one-way flight was $93.80 online, $47.80 at the airport. The difference is the $46 Carrier Interface Charge ($23/leg * 2 legs because I had a stop).

I was worried it wouldn't work because there was a sale with a promo code, but I did end up getting the same fare at the airport (but without the CIC added on). Though I'm not sure the ticket I bought was covered by the sale.

Online ($93.80):
  1. $17.67 airfare
  2. $1.33 US transportation tax
  3. $46 carrier interface charge
  4. $11.20 US passenger security fee
  5. $8.60 US domestic flight segment tax
  6. $4.50 * 2 passenger facility charge (one for each departure airport)
Airport (Total: $47.80):
  1. $19 airfare (looks like this combines the $17.67 airfare and $1.33 US transportation tax)
  2. $28.80 fees & taxes
As a bonus, if you're nice to the ticket agent they might assign you seats, too. I was assigned a window seat near the front of the plane for both flights, which would've cost $26 * 2 if I paid for them.

Last edited by imnotminkus; Apr 24, 2021 at 11:32 pm
Old Apr 25, 2021, 11:57 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by imnotminkus
I can confirm the carrier interface charge doesn't apply at the airport.
As a bonus, if you're nice to the ticket agent they might assign you seats, too. I was assigned a window seat near the front of the plane for both flights, which would've cost $26 * 2 if I paid for them.
I booked a $19 dollar fare from Trenton to Orlando, agent was excited to book a $9 ticket to Orlando (the CIC can very but usually on the cheap tickets) and not only gave me a free seat she upgraded me to Stretch seating. I was friendly talkative and I think that made her day knowing she could relax for a second.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:14 am

Anyone done this recently? I assume it still works.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by myleguy
Anyone done this recently? I assume it still works.
I did it about a month ago. But now when I look at the fees for a new ticket on Frontier's site, there's no Carrier Interface Charge listed. All the other normal ones are there, but not the CIC. Unclear if they bundled the CIC into the fare, or if they just stopped charging it (temporarily or permanently).

no CIC?
Old Nov 1, 2021, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by imnotminkus
I did it about a month ago. But now when I look at the fees for a new ticket on Frontier's site, there's no Carrier Interface Charge listed. All the other normal ones are there, but not the CIC. Unclear if they bundled the CIC into the fare, or if they just stopped charging it (temporarily or permanently).

no CIC?
I am still seeing the CIC on the searches I am doing. Purchased at the counter a few days ago, nothing has changed. I'm curious what search you are doing that takes you through all those airports for $66!
Old Nov 7, 2021, 12:30 am

They don't charge the CIC on some of their cheapest sale fares so they can advertise $29 fares (for example).
Old Nov 14, 2021, 8:39 pm

My $29 Vegas ticket shows the carrier interface charge, so at the airport this fare would be $19.98
US1 - U.S. Transportation Tax
$0.39
CIC - Carrier Interface Charge (Non-Refundable)
$10.00

AY1 - U.S. Passenger Security Fee
$5.60
ZP - U.S. Domestic Flight Segment Tax
$4.30
XF - Minneapolis/St. Paul, Mn (MSP) Passenger Facility Charge
$4.50
TOTAL PAYMENT DUE
$29.98
jjbiv likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:19 pm

I’m a bit confused by this thread. I get that you save the CIC by purchasing at the airport but you lose any sort of Discount Den savings? Also, they don’t always apply your elite status on the reservation so do you need to call in update the reservation to get it in the app, add the miles, and get the works package if you’re 100K elite?

I’m just trying to figure out if it makes sense going to the airport to book tickets or if I should just do it online and pay the extra money to avoid having problems?
Old Dec 10, 2021, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by BoyArmsTired
I’m a bit confused by this thread. I get that you save the CIC by purchasing at the airport but you lose any sort of Discount Den savings?
This is correct they are unable to sell Discount Den Fares at the airport.

Originally Posted by BoyArmsTired
Also, they don’t always apply your elite status on the reservation so do you need to call in update the reservation to get it in the app, add the miles, and get the works package if you’re 100K elite?
You can add your trip to your profile after you book it and it will update with your 100k elite and then go into manage my booking and add seats and bags. The only issue you will face is that the works is only available at initial booking and you would miss out on the refundability aspect of it due to this.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.