Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frontier says Buh-bye to complimentary cookie

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromMKE
I still think they need to open a club in DEN. It is their biggest FF base by far and it seems like the last few trips through DEN I've had 2+ hour layovers that I would have loved to spend in something more comfortable than an airport chair.
While a club would be nice, it does not fit with an ULCCC business model. The way Republic and Frontier pinch pennies, there's no way a club will be opened in DEN.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by mke9499
BB also says that he loves the cookies, and that getting them was one of the benefits of buying YX.

Apparently, F9 employees like the cookies, too, according to @frontiercare:
Visit some other airline related sites and you might be left with a different impression.

I've even seen flight attendants complaining about burning their fingers on the chocolate, the additional efforts involved in serving the cookies, etc. These seemed like pretty weak excuses to me but the point remains that there were a lot of people that did not understand or accept the cookie for whatever reason.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:27 am

The media loves it

I've heard the story reported by all three major news outlets last night.

http://fox6now.com/2012/04/02/busine...report-4-2-12/

Last edited by RSVP; Apr 5, 2012 at 4:25 pm
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000
While a club would be nice, it does not fit with an ULCCC business model.
This is why they should create one in DEN... another differentiating reason to fly Frontier. A BCC doesn't cost a single penny more in jet fuel and its relative fixed costs could be amortized over a much larger flying base in DEN.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Frontier EarlyReturns Summit
While a club would be nice, it does not fit with an ULCCC business model. The way Republic and Frontier pinch pennies, there's no way a club will be opened in DEN.
Why do they have to be the same as Spirit or Allegient? Sure there would be costs to staffing and rent for the club, but they have a huge FF base in DEN that they could cater to. Definitely doesn't make sense in MKE anymore, but one of the things F9 has said is while they want to keep their fares low, they also want to maintain high service for their best customers. Heck I think AA even has a club in DEN.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Why do they have to be the same as Spirit or Allegient? ...they have a huge FF base in DEN that they could cater to.
I agree with you.

Heck I think AA even has a club in DEN.
They do, along with British Airways and United.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:25 am

Why do they have to be the same as Spirit or Allegient? Sure there would be costs to staffing and rent for the club, but they have a huge FF base in DEN that they could cater to. Definitely doesn't make sense in MKE anymore, but one of the things F9 has said is while they want to keep their fares low, they also want to maintain high service for their best customers. Heck I think AA even has a club in DEN.
Simply put, there is a big cost to operating a lounge.

Lounges tend to be used mainly by business travelers. That doesn't seem to be Frontier's bread and butter. What would they charge members for an annual membership? Day passes? Would they allow free access for Classic Plus tickets? I'd argue no (even though they tried this with the BCC). Why would you give lounge access away for free?

I don't know if any airline offers free lounge access, except for those traveling in international first or business class and those passengers are paying thousands for those tickets. I think certain elite levels are allowed free access on international itineraries as well.

Just because they have a large frequent flier base in DEN doesn't justify the cost of a lounge. It's the reason low cost carriers don't operate lounges. I remember United saying a few years back that their lounges weren't profitable. I doubt Frontier or Republic would undertake something that wouldn't have a positive ROI.

Frontier also has a fairly weak route network with only one hub and focus city. It's hard for someone to justify the cost of an annual membership when the airline would likely only have one lounge.

At one point in time a BCC in DEN made some sense. But Frontier is a much different airline than it was in 2010 and a lounge doesn't seem to go with it's current business strategy, whatever that may be.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Originally Posted by rockferd
(copied from here)

scrumptious cookie will be gone!
"scrumptious"? Let's get hold of ourselves here.....sure they were nice, but scrumptious?

IMHO, a virtual non-event. It won't affect my flying F9 one way or the other. UA's problems, OTOH...
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:31 pm

It's hard for someone to justify the cost of an annual membership when the airline would likely only have one lounge.
YX did it for what, six or seven years? Probably another reason they are not around anymore.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: N23344
Originally Posted by RSVP
YX did it for what, six or seven years? Probably another reason they are not around anymore.
If there was a loss, it was minimal. I always heard it broke even. I don't think Seabury would have let it continue as long as it did if it lost a lot of money.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Congratulations, Frontier Airlines. Way to kill the last living ounce of an otherwise exceptional, historic airline (and yes, I still call it Midwest Express more often than Midwest Airlines).

At least the YX Best Care Club is still around in Milwaukee. OH WAIT, THAT'S CLOSING TOO ON MAY 31.

Yes, I was partially, emotionally attached to the cookie/airline regardless of the $ bottom line
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by 8C4IOW
If there was a loss, it was minimal. I always heard it broke even. I don't think Seabury would have let it continue as long as it did if it lost a lot of money.
The BCC was never profitable. I believe the penalties involved in breaking the lease were fairly significant.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA
I am Summit and for one feel insulted if they really try to give me animal crackers or goldfish. I like neither one and couldn't they at least pick one healthier choice. Actually scratch that, just give me nothing, that is fine with me.
I do like my free drinks though
Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by German Expat
I am Summit and for one feel insulted if they really try to give me animal crackers or goldfish. I like neither one and couldn't they at least pick one healthier choice. Actually scratch that, just give me nothing, that is fine with me.
I do like my free drinks though
Crush the crackers and stuff them into the seat pocket.

That's one way of sending a message.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:33 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by RSVP
Crush the crackers and stuff them into the seat pocket.

That's one way of sending a message.
How about no.

I have no say in these types of decisions and that only punishes front line employees like myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.