Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schedule to Fly Out of DEN on Friday, What to Do?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2006, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold, US Air Gold
Schedule to Fly Out of DEN on Friday, What to Do?

Was looking for some advice from folks here. Right now, the Denver airport is scheduled to be closed until noon on Friday. Currently, we're booked on a Frontier flight from DEN to SFO on Friday at 12:35.

I've been unable to get through to Frontier, but I'm wondering how they will prioritize things. Will the people that have been stuck in the airport for two days have priority getting out or will the people that have a ticket for that flight have priority? Even though I'm in the latter category, I wouldn't think it would be unfair that folks that have been stuck would have first dibs on outgoing seats.

Any suggestions for what we should do?
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Currently a tough situation. 12 hours ago I was much more optimistic over on the UA board, and the latest news about the airport not opening until noon Friday doesn't sound good at all.

Keep in mind, even if DIA opens at noon tomorrow, it won't open "poof" at 100% full capacity "like it never happened" operational excellence. So, your F9 flight at 12:35 PM will likely leave late. Possibly quite late.

Regarding priority...if you have a confirmed seat assignment (and you should do electronic check-in if Frontier offers it), you'll have priority over the stranded travelers. They will all be on gigantamongous standby lists and will get whatever seats are available. For some, getting a seat on a flight could take days. Possibly past Christmas.

If you truly think it's unfair for your seat not to go to a stranded traveler, I'm absolutely certain you'll have a chance to voluntarily give up your seat for compensation at the gate.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 4:21 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Not sure how the storm has affected the other airports such as Colorado Springs but I would also look at that possibility. At least you are not (yet) stuck at the airport.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 5:18 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As the OP is ticketed on Frontier and his issues would appear to resolve around Frontier's procedures, I'll move this to the Frontier forum for further discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Co Mod, TravelBuzz.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Keep in mind, even if DIA opens at noon tomorrow, it won't open "poof" at 100% full capacity "like it never happened" operational excellence. So, your F9 flight at 12:35 PM will likely leave late. Possibly quite late.
DIA is the best prepared airport in the country for snow. Things should start slow but I bet they pull it off. Current plan is to have one runway open a noon for departures and a second open at 1p for arrivals. There will be three de-icing pads open and TSA will open the checkpoints starting at 5a. I hope it turns out well.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by audio-nut
DIA is the best prepared airport in the country for snow. Things should start slow but I bet they pull it off. Current plan is to have one runway open a noon for departures and a second open at 1p for arrivals. There will be three de-icing pads open and TSA will open the checkpoints starting at 5a. I hope it turns out well.
I guess I was too optimistic. The departure rate will be 30 per hour and there are 100 aircraft currently at the airport. In addition it will take at least 45 minutes per aircraft to deice. Even worse is that they will limit arrivals to 10 per hour due to ramp conditions. It looks like the third runway will open later in the afternoon increasing the arrival rate to 30 and the forth should come online Saturday morning.

Its going to be a long couple days
Old Dec 22, 2006, 12:03 pm

One Could Argue Many Location for This...

Originally Posted by audio-nut
DIA is the best prepared airport in the country for snow.
My money goes to MSP or DTW (especially since 2002)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.