Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Free Travel Contests and Sweepstakes
Reload this Page >

Who has won anything from FT contests? A show of hands please.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who has won anything from FT contests? A show of hands please.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:39 pm
sjl

Programs: 1K, SPG Gold, HH Gold
First time winner

I just got one out of (100) 3rd prizes - a Jack Daniel's Racing #07 diecast cars.

Since it was the first time I ever won a sweeps, I didn't know what or who it was from. There were no mention of sweepstakes winner or annything. Only a notice inside that said "thank you for your recent purchase". On top of which the UPS delivery truck was actually a Penske rental truck. I thought I was beeing scammed as I just disputed a TLCCMPHME scam charge on my Chase Visa. After I researched the sender company's name and went back to my sweepstakes entry notices - I realized it was a legit. Yaay!

Does this happen often? I mean, no note stating "congratulations, you won 3rd prize in our recent sweeps...etc? They just send whatever?

About the phone call posts above, we screen calls and if we don't recongnize, we usually don't pick up thinking they will leave a message if important. Will sweepstakes contests not leave a message and expect to talk to you in person?

Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:59 pm

Congratulations on your diecast car, sjl. Sounds a lot better than the piece (one square inch) of a racing car I won not too long ago. My family is still laughing about that one.

Originally Posted by sjl
Does this happen often? I mean, no note stating "congratulations, you won 3rd prize in our recent sweeps...etc? They just send whatever?
Oddly enough, yes it does happen fairly frequently. I suppose it's because the sponsors hire fulfillment companies to send out the prizes, and some fulfillment companies try to keep their costs down by just slapping a label on the box, rather than going to the additional expense of including a note.

On some of the bigger sweepstakes sites you'll find numerous postings from people saying things like "I received xxx prize by mail/ups/dhl/fedex and I don't know what sweep it came from. Can someone tell me?" Sort of makes you shake your head, doesn't it?

Originally Posted by sjl
About the phone call posts above, we screen calls and if we don't recongnize, we usually don't pick up thinking they will leave a message if important. Will sweepstakes contests not leave a message and expect to talk to you in person?
Thanks!
Some will, and some won't, leave a message. Again it depends on the sponsor and the company handling the sweeps. Occassionally you'll see provisions written into the rules stating something to the effect that winners will be notified by telephone on such a such day, and if the call is not answered the prize will not be awarded to that winner. On the flip side, there are sponsors who will go to great lengths to notify a winner, including repeated phone calls, emails and certified letters. It just seems to be the luck of the draw, I guess.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:05 pm
sjl

Programs: 1K, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Thanks for the prompt reply Flyingmama and contributing so much to the contests we enter!
Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:22 am

Following up on my post about winning a trip to Vegas... this has been somewhat of a lesson of "Be careful what you wish for." The prize is a trip for two, so we ended up springing for two more plane tickets out of pocket to take the kids. (I was kinda sorta hoping that the missus would say "Why don't you take a friend?", but no dice. ) After doing the math, we think it's worth it (WOW but hotel rooms at Caesars are expensive), but I could easily see how one might turn down a prize like this if you can't bring your whole family. Winning one or two more like this would break me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but I think I'm going to be a bit more discriminating in what I enter. Some prizes just aren't right for my personal situation, and could end up being more trouble than they're worth.

And while I know the instructions say there's no need to, I want to say thanks to the posters who bring us all the sweepstakes links.

Last edited by dior29; Aug 23, 2007 at 10:24 am Reason: addition
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
You're welcome. We don't mind thanks as much in this forum because it's a sticky & usually someone is posting a win. It's the sweeps threads we prefer to avoid the thanks because it bumps the thread & people click on it thinking there's additional information & then find out their time is wasted when they realize it's only a thanks post.

I do agree that people need to think about which sweeps they enter. Being single I don't enter any sweeps that are trips for 4, whereas someone with a family such as yourself would probably prefer those.

Cheers.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 7:57 pm

Not sure if this contest was posted on FT or not. It was a Texas only contest run by Safeway (Randalls) and Continental. Grand prize was a trip to Hawaii. Got a phone call this evening from the people running the contest and I won one of the first prizes, 50,000 OnePass Miles!! Right now, it probably works out better to have the miles. WOO-HOO!!
Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:55 pm
Community Director Emerita

Congrats, gerwood, how exciting!
Old Aug 24, 2007, 8:13 am

Thumbs up

Right on! Hope Hawaii or Italy is my horizon too as somedays it gets a little boring entering, but your story gives hope.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 8:31 am

Congrats gerwood!!!

Cheers.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 7:05 pm

Programs: Best Western Diamond
Talking

Woo Hoo!
I won a trip!

It was the Claritin Perfectly Clear Day Contest posted by SkiAdCock in April.
So I'm headed off the LA to meet with Ken Paves for a hair makeover (at least I still have hair!), and a ride in his Bentley convertible.
Too bad it didn't include ground transfers and $$ for food, but at least it's air transportation and a hotel (I hope it's a NICE hotel), but it's on dates of the sponsors choice. I did call them to inquire about dates, but it sounded like there would be some flexibility.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...light=claritin
Old Sep 7, 2007, 7:25 pm
Community Director Emerita

Congrats! That sounds like a lot of fun.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 8:01 am

Let me add my congratulations, too! Sounds like a great trip, even without money for food and transfers. I had to google Ken Paves to find out who he was, but apparently he's a celebrity hairstylist who has teamed up with Jessica Simpson. Maybe you'll even see some other celebrities in the salon! Let us know if you do.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:47 am

I didn't win a trip, but I have 2 wins.

* One was 11th prize in a CarlJr's sweeps - a small french fries order Now I have to find a local CarlJr's...

* Second, received this via email a few minutes ago (see below). I was kind of hoping for the 100K *Wood Points or the Sony digital camera (to give to my sister as a gift), but hey I have no pride, I'll take the 2nd prize. There were 20 2nd prizes (ie, web cameras; retail $53.99).

"Congratulations! You have been selected to receive a prize by registering in the My "Must Do" Sweepstakes, administered by ePrize.

You have won a Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX Web Camera. Please see the Official Rules for further prize details and eligibility requirements. Your win has been recorded and is subject to verification. Once we have verified your eligibility, you will receive your prize 8 - 10 weeks after the conclusion of the promotion. It will be sent to the address you provided on the registration form. The promotion ends on September 21, 2007.

No further action is required on your part.

For a complete set of Rules for this promotion, please visit http://sheraton.eprize.net/mustdo/?page=rules. Please refer to them for any questions you may have. Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact Prize Fulfillment Services by replying to this email. Please be sure to keep the original subject line.

Congratulations again and thank you for your continued patronage of Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide, Inc."
Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:54 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DeltaMM
About a month ago, I got a Wendy's soccer jersey in the mail along with a letter congratulating me on my win. Don't remember what I entered, and no one in my family knows a thing about soccer, but the shirt fit my son, so I guess that's something!
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
UA "Pick Your Paradise" Sweepstakes

My wife also just won 50,000 MP miles in the Safeway/UA "Pick Your Paradise" Sweepstakes. I think it's probably the same one gerwood won. About 2 years ago, she won 100,000 AS miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.