Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Why high lodging expense week of Apr 20?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2009, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club

I have a meeting in the UK that week and got a great airfare that permitted me a couple nights in Paris on the way home. I booked the flights and then discovered very high rates at CDG area hotels Thursday night. Anyone know what's going on?

I'm arriving late, but rather than pay 2-3X the regular tariff, I'm heading into the city for my first night.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 4:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
what do you consider high priced and what portions of the city are you considering staying in?

I checked Hotwire out of curiousity for Apr 20-23 and didn't anything out of the ordinary ($100 for **** in Montmatre, $99 for *** in Champs Elysees/Trocadero).
Old Apr 2, 2009, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
It may be the "INTERMAT" show and conference (Construction and Engineering show). Because the show is being held at the Paris Nord Villepinte Exposition Center, it is more convenient for many attendees to stay at CDG-area hotels than to stay in central Paris (besides the RER, the show runs shuttles from CDG2).
Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by benzguy80
what do you consider high priced and what portions of the city are you considering staying in?

I checked Hotwire out of curiousity for Apr 20-23 and didn't anything out of the ordinary ($100 for **** in Montmatre, $99 for *** in Champs Elysees/Trocadero).
I arrive after 10:00 PM and figured to spend the first night at a hotel at or near CDG. Options are few - Tripadvisor only pulls up 3 choices. The difference between that night and a weekday the following week is $270 vs $140, $220 vs. $140 and $250 vs $140. Examples elsewhere were just as pronounced or greater - the Marriott is $316 vs. $197 on Expedia.

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
It may be the "INTERMAT" show and conference (Construction and Engineering show). Because the show is being held at the Paris Nord Villepinte Exposition Center, it is more convenient for many attendees to stay at CDG-area hotels than to stay in central Paris (besides the RER, the show runs shuttles from CDG2).
I'm sure you've nailed it. Whichever booking engine showed me prices a week at a time, showed a drop generally the following day. But it does not extend into the city. I decided to spend all 3 nights at a favorite BW in the 8th. There, I only have to contend with a 20 euro rise for Saturday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.