First-timer questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First-timer questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2009, 1:24 am

Programs: NWA Worldperks, AA Advantage, United Mileage Plus
One hidden advantage in taking the metro is that you get a lot of exercise from walking up and down those metro stairs. I got my legs in shape during my ten days in Paris a year and a half ago.

Regarding the other parts of your questions: Are your plans set in stone? I visited Dijon and Lyon two years ago and the impression I got was that while Dijon was a nice place I got bored of it after a few days. Consequently, I wished I had budgeted more time for Lyon. I think I spent like 6 days in Dijon and three in Lyon. There is also a metro system for Lyon. I visited the major church there--Notre Dame (in Lyon)--during Christmas time and had a delightful conversation with a church guide there. She was trying to explain what a creche scene was in her limited english while I was trying to communicate with my very limited French speaking skills.

Whatever you choose enjoy your trip!

FWIW - slowing down and enjoying is one of the charms of Paris. Robyn

Agreed, I have mobility problems too but I walked alot. I remember taking a walk from Pont Neuf after a meal and just exploring via foot. A while later--I lost track of time--I came upon the Pantheon. This was interesting because I am somewhat directionally incompetent--I get lost easily--and I had been trying to figure out which metro station would be the closest to get there (Pantheon). I'm still not sure how I got there as I thought I was going in the opposite direction toward the right bank. Bummer was that the top of the dome was closed.

Another anecdote is that after half a day at the Lourve I started to walk in search of a restaurant to eat lunch. I walked for a while and came upon this place in the fourth. Since I was extremely hungry, I just stayed there and ate lunch. Luckily they had roast pigeon it was a great meal and I ended up eating there multiple times. On my last night there they gave me a complimentary glass of red wine and free hors d'oeurves.

The only thing that kind of irked me was that movies take forever to start there. I wish I had known that the time posted is not the actual start time. The previews and whatever else took around 45 minutes.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: aa co
Originally Posted by relativelynormal
Regarding the other parts of your questions: Are your plans set in stone? I visited Dijon and Lyon two years ago and the impression I got was that while Dijon was a nice place I got bored of it after a few days. Consequently, I wished I had budgeted more time for Lyon. I think I spent like 6 days in Dijon and three in Lyon. There is also a metro system for Lyon. I visited the major church there--Notre Dame (in Lyon)--during Christmas time and had a delightful conversation with a church guide there. She was trying to explain what a creche scene was in her limited english while I was trying to communicate with my very limited French speaking skills.
My plans are pretty well set. As I explained, we are not going to stay in Dijon but will stay in Beaune for two nights. I have heard great things about Lyon, as well as Alsace and the Loire Valley and I would like to visit them all someday.
But I figured five days in Paris will be enough of city life and a few days in the country will be a good thing.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
+1

Paris is only a part of France, much like NYC is part of US

I strongly suggest seeing some of the French country side, preferably by car or something slower than a train.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DennyO
Mrs. DennyO and I are going to France for the very first time. We arrive at CDG at 0730. I figure we'll get into Paris about 0930 (realistic?) and most hotel check-ins are 1400. Naturally, we'd like to do something in between but will probably be somewhat tired. Whatever we do, we don't want to be hauling around our luggage for 4-5 hours. If we go straight to the hotel, could we leave the bags until check-in?
You can do that at virtually every hotel in the world. It shouldn't be a problem in France.

How about taking the RER into town; are there lockers available?
I've always taken a taxi so I couldn't say. I don't recall lockers in either the RER or the Metro.

The Segway tours look like fun and a good way to get oriented to the city (although expensive). Has anyone here done them? Would we be too tired to enjoy them, i.e. should we take a tour bus?
I don't know anything about the Segway tours. I would never take a bus tour in Paris. If you want to get "grounded," take a Bateau Mouche tour on Seine, from which you'll get a good sense of Parisian geography.

Our plan is to spend the first day in Paris, then two in Rouen/Giverny, then two in Burgundy/Dijon, then four in Paris. I have seen some disparaging comments about Dijon here, but I was looking forward to visiting (and sampling) some wineries. Are there alternatives you would suggest?
I like Dijon. We spent New Year's Eve there once. There are good restaurants and interesting sights.

The trip by train for two (2d class) works out to almost the same cost as renting a car. Advantages to train: don't have to drive, can't get lost, and it seems more "authentically" European. Advantages to car: flexibility on when to leave and where to stay (I saw a nice-looking B&B outside Dijon), and freedom to stop at any small town that suits our fancy as we travel. Am I missing anything?
The trains (at least to and from Dijon) are TGV -- the "grande vitesse" high-speed rail. These trains travel up to 200 mph and save a lot of time.

By the way, my reading of French is passable, I think I can speak it OK but I have concerns about oral comprehension. A major goal of mine is to improve my French.
Just ask them to speak a little slower. That's what I do.

Finally, we enjoy taking pictures with our camera and can think of no better place to do so. Does going around Paris with a camera around the neck mark us too much as tourists,
Yes, but so what?

an invitation to pickpockets?
Be particularly careful on the Metro and at Saint Chapelle. Otherwise, just use normal urban precautions.

Do many people go around town with backpacks?
Only the tourists but, again, so what?
Old Mar 28, 2009, 1:14 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Paris for five days

"But I figured five days in Paris will be enough of city life"

Please, please check out a good travel book on Paris before making your final plans. My 5 days in Paris last year just was like an introduction. This May, it will be 14 days. And that schedule is very full from morning to night.
Paris is NOT like any other city in the world.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by belairpatrol
"But I figured five days in Paris will be enough of city life"

Please, please check out a good travel book on Paris before making your final plans. My 5 days in Paris last year just was like an introduction. This May, it will be 14 days. And that schedule is very full from morning to night.
Paris is NOT like any other city in the world.
Very, very true...

...but on the other hand, my traveling companion found two days in Paris to be two days too many. I think we would have been happy to skip Paris entirely and just spend all of our time in Dijon and Beaune.

There's something to be said for a moderate-length introductory excursion...
Old Mar 28, 2009, 1:19 pm

Programs: CO, HH, LH, F9
Petit

I first went to Paris for the air show 4 years ago for the debut of the A380. I stayed in the 19th arrondisement by the Industry and Science Expo hall which was surprisingly quiet and easy to get on the Metro there. I would not say that we got to see much other than the exterior of all the usual tourist route buildings (Eiffel Tower, Louvre, d'Orsey ect.). It was a nibble. I'm going for 2.5 days this time flying into FRA for Easter weekend.

My question is there is some discussion in the travel books about doing the Musem d'Orsay before the Louvre. I like the French Impressionists but feel spending 2 days at the Louvre would give a decent feel for what is there. I think the d'Orsay could be done in a complete day. I'm only planning on doing 1 museum while I'm there. Any advice?
Old Mar 28, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: NWA Worldperks, AA Advantage, United Mileage Plus
I'd go with Orsay as the Louvre is far too varied to do in one day. You like impressionists right? They have a guided tour on Tuesdays at 2:30pm and Thursdays at 4pm. I really wish I visited Orsay the last time. Have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.