Best way to get around

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to get around

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2008, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USAirways - CP, American Airlines - Gold, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold
Best way to get around

I have to take a business trip from Brussels to Strasbourg to Limoges (probably in that order) in January. What are the best modes of transportation?
Old Dec 17, 2008, 2:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Brussels - Strasbourg - Limoges by rail?

I have not done this, but taking a quick peek at RailEurope it seems feasible to take the trains (including TGV) for these trips. I have not looked into flights, so bear with me if going by rail is too time consuming. Also, some of the connecting in Paris could be a bit much if you have much luggage or not willing/able to handle the stairs for the Metro.

To get from Brussels to Strasbourg you could head to Paris Gare du Nord (1h22), connect to nearby Gare de l'Est where you catch TGV to Strasbourg (2h22)

From Strasbourg to Limoges you could head off to Paris Gare de l'Est (2h22), connect (Metro 5 direction Place d'Italie?) to Gare d'Austerlitz where you'd catch SNCF to Limoges (2h49)

Hopefully someone else watching this thread can comment to the feasibility of this, especially changing stations in Paris. I'd feel better about the recommendation if it was obvious one could use RER between Gare de l'Est and the other two stations (du Nord and d'Austerlitz).

bonne chance!
benzguy80
Old Dec 17, 2008, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USAirways - CP, American Airlines - Gold, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold
I'll be traveling light, so hopefully no issues lugging stuff around. I will look into trains. Turns out the trip will be Strasbourg to Brussels to Limoges.

How difficult will the trains be if I speak limited French?

Thanks for the info!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 4:28 am

the trains in France and Belgium are excellent! you do not need to know French, but it helps to be able to read a little. I've found that explaining in broken French that you do not speak French before asking (again in French) if someone speaks English is very helpful.

I'd take the Metro in Paris between the stations since you will likely have time and are sufficiently ambulatory. Metro T+ tickets are very cheap (1e60), good for 90 minutes on Metro subway, RER trains (within Paris) and RATP buses. these can be bought at tabac shops but also at windows in the stations if you're willing to wait. I think there are coin operated machines, which is more sensible than waiting in line.

one thing I encountered that was surprising, at some stations they may put more than one train in line at a single platform. I got on the wrong train once at Lyon Part Deux because of this but fortunately figured it out in time to make my exit (complete with grin at my error). I doubt you would run into this at most stations in Paris as they tend to be the beginning/end of the line. Suffice it to say you really do want to pay careful attention so as to board the right train and not exit at the wrong stop! For the Metro you need to also pay attention to the direction of travel when heading to the platform.

You should be able to work in a decent meal while changing trains in Paris. Personally I really enjoy riding the trains across France and Belgium, it beats flying hands down if you have the time.

bonne voyage,
benzguy80
Old Dec 18, 2008, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by benzguy80

I'd take the Metro in Paris between the stations since you will likely have time and are sufficiently ambulatory. Metro T+ tickets are very cheap (1e60), good for 90 minutes on Metro subway, RER trains (within Paris) and RATP buses.
bonne voyage,
benzguy80
To clarify, my understanding is that a Metro ticket is good for one entrance to the Metro system. Time has nothing to do with it-you can ride all day if you want but once you exit the system, that ticket is done.

Also, in a recent change, I think you can now use one ticket on 2 or more bus rides, as long as it is within a certain time (perhaps 90 minutes). I don't know but I doubt you can go from Metro to bus or vice-versa on the same ticket.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 2:00 am

The RATP site says "After validating it every time he boards a bus or tram, the customer has an hour and a half between the first validation and the last validation to make one or more connections."

I did try to reuse one a couple of hours after first use (2 hops, left system, tried to re-enter), but it was rejected. I assumed the policy mentioned above is in force, but perhaps someone with more experience will jump in here?

Edit: after further reflection it would seem the 90 minute expiration wasn't the reason I couldn't re-enter on the same ticket. the assumption mentioned in this post seems to be invalid, now that I think about.

Last edited by benzguy80; Dec 19, 2008 at 2:03 am Reason: add comment
Old Dec 19, 2008, 2:33 am
iff

According to the RATP:

In the metro and RER, a ticket is good for one trip, that being defined as the route between your starting point and your destination, without interruption, on one or more lines. The trip can take no longer than 2 hours. If you exit the system, you'll need a new ticket to re-enter (I believe there are a couple of exceptions to this, one of them being the transfer outdoors from line 12 at Solferino to RER C at the Musée d'Orsay station).

In the bus and tramway, a ticket is good for a one-way trip of up to 90 minutes including transfers between buses and trams, but you can't do a round trip or exit a bus or tram and then reboard it going in the same direction. You need to validate your ticket each time you make a transfer.

Transfers between buses/trams and metro/RER are not permitted; you need to validate a new ticket.

Last edited by iff; Dec 19, 2008 at 2:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.