Search

Paris - things open on New Years Day

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Paris - things open on New Years Day

We'll be in the middle of a trip and will have our museum pass. I figure that at some point we'll wake up from the night's reveling and want to do a little something.

Not surprisingly most things are closed, although it does look like the Branley, for one, is actually open. Other ideas?

The night before we're planning to dine close to the Eiffel Tower and then walk over toward midnight - any suggestions for good places to stand, etc. One site I found is actually recommending the Champs-Elysees, but I don't actually need to be part of a mob scene, I more want a good vantage point for the fireworks, etc. It sounds like the actual fireworks are at Place Concorde?

Last edited by milepig; Dec 19, 2008 at 1:10 pm
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:49 pm
iff

I keep hearing that there are no organized fireworks in Paris this New Year's Eve but haven't seen anything reliably definitive either way. If you go to any of the popular spots outdoors, be prepared for crowds and watch out for pickpockets and people throwing bottles and fireworks (and sometimes throwing fireworks in bottles). The metro will be jam-packed all evening and taxis may be scarce.

You're right, most things will be closed January 1, though I think there are a few other museums that will be open. Touristy areas will no doubt have a bit more activity than more residential areas.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 3:10 pm

You may know this but on New Year's Eve, virtually all places to eat have a special menu, some kind of music (if only a stereo), and much higher than usual prices. You'll need to check this out, and also to make reservations.

One mid-line place we go to is Oscar, on the right bank a few blocks from both the Alma and Iena metro stations. Here's a link with info:

http://www.eat-out.net/restaurant-paris/rp158193-oscar

This is just a neighborhood place but has reliably good food and very welcoming staff. From there, you could walk down to Trocadero, which is a good place to see the Tour Eiffel across the river. It's about a 15 minute walk from Oscar to Trocadero, and about that again to walk across the river to the Tower.

The prior post about how nuts it will be anywhere near the Tower on New Year's Eve should be taken to heart. Both there and Trocadero will be filled with tourists, youths (if that's a word) of all attitudes, and many hustlers asking "Do you speak English" as their friend picks your pocket. Don't let that scare or detour you; just be prepared, lock down your valuables, and have a good time.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
You may know this but on New Year's Eve, virtually all places to eat have a special menu, some kind of music (if only a stereo), and much higher than usual prices. You'll need to check this out, and also to make reservations.

One mid-line place we go to is Oscar, on the right bank a few blocks from both the Alma and Iena metro stations. Here's a link with info:

http://www.eat-out.net/restaurant-paris/rp158193-oscar

This is just a neighborhood place but has reliably good food and very welcoming staff. From there, you could walk down to Trocadero, which is a good place to see the Tour Eiffel across the river. It's about a 15 minute walk from Oscar to Trocadero, and about that again to walk across the river to the Tower.

The prior post about how nuts it will be anywhere near the Tower on New Year's Eve should be taken to heart. Both there and Trocadero will be filled with tourists, youths (if that's a word) of all attitudes, and many hustlers asking "Do you speak English" as their friend picks your pocket. Don't let that scare or detour you; just be prepared, lock down your valuables, and have a good time.
Thanks for the tips. We already have reservations at Au Petit Tonneau, which I believe just has the regular menu.

I'm planning to take the bare minimum with me that evening - Credit Card and ID should just about do it. (oh, and Mrs. Milepig, of course)

And, since you asked, the word is "youds", to quote a favorite movie I'm blanking on the name of at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.