Search

Versailles?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2008, 3:40 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Versailles?

I've been to Versailles before but it was as a single so I didn't really care about lines, etc. This time I'm taking my niece (last part of June) and wondered if people have suggestions on the best way to get into the palace without having to stand in the unending lines? Also, has anybody ever taken one of the tours and found it useful or just taken the RER out there and did a "do it yourself" tour instead? What are your thoughts/opinions? Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2008, 7:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
I've been to Versailles many times. I would do the RER myself because I hate feeling like cattle being herded from site to site. Mooooooo........ve along......

My guess is that the queue for the Chateau will be long in the morning or early afternoon. I would suggest enjoy the gardens first (it's my favorite part of Versailles, especially when the weather is nice). Then in the mid-afternoon around 3, the queue for the Chateau may be shorter.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 8:33 pm

Several years ago, I took the RER with my wife and avoided the long lines - used the Museum Pass which had a special entrance. We rented audio guides, purchased a guide book and moved about at our own pace. We took a leisurely stroll through the town of Versailles near the rail station and had a nice lunch at a sidewalk cafe - can't remember the name or exact location.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 8:54 pm

Programs: CO, UA Premier
Originally Posted by FTraveler
Several years ago, I took the RER with my wife and avoided the long lines - used the Museum Pass which had a special entrance. We rented audio guides, purchased a guide book and moved about at our own pace. We took a leisurely stroll through the town of Versailles near the rail station and had a nice lunch at a sidewalk cafe - can't remember the name or exact location.
Totally agree - this is the way to go. The audio guide is excellent and you can go at your own pace. Had a lot of tour guides zipping past me to stay on schedule. Only thing you give up is the ability to ask questions but the audio guide is pretty thorough. The Museum Pass is a big help with entering here. Also, make sure you go to whichever of the two RER stations is closest to the chateau (don't have my guide handy so I cannot tell you which is which so I don't want to name the wrong one) - the other one is a hike.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 9:18 pm

Programs: Skymiles, AMEX, Bonvoy, IHG Plat, Alaska MVP 100K
I was just there is May. We went in the afternoon and went through the gardens, had lunch etc. The petit trianon was closed for restorations so I'm not sure if that's open now.

We went into the palace around 4pm and there were no lines. Shockingly, there was another strike in Paris so we couldn't go through the entire palace on the royal bed chambers.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 9:20 pm

Programs: Skymiles, AMEX, Bonvoy, IHG Plat, Alaska MVP 100K
Originally Posted by Mikester
Also, make sure you go to whichever of the two RER stations is closest to the chateau (don't have my guide handy so I cannot tell you which is which so I don't want to name the wrong one) - the other one is a hike.
It's the last one on the route. Then it's just a short walk from the station.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 4:55 am

Programs: AC E
I was there last May and went in mid afternoon. There wasn't much of a line up and we also used the audio tour which was excellent.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 10:32 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
There are 3 train routes to Versailles: (1) Gare Montparnasse to Ver center city, (2) Line C to Ver. rive gauche and (3) St. Lazare to Ver. rive droite; the last route takes you through an area where (on certain days, I forget which) have a major outdoor market, which is nice to see. (2) Is closest to the chateau; (1) the trains run express and get you there much faster, but you are far from the chateau. As others have noted, the museum pass helps you bypass the lines (going to see the chateau); to see the grounds, there are NO lines.
PS: A standard zone 1-2 metro ticket is not sufficient to exit Ver. which is zone 5.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:15 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by FTraveler
...... the Museum Pass which had a special entrance. .....
This is the way to go!

http://www.parismuseumpass.com/en/pass_presentation.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.