Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel recommendations for Burgundy Region

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Hotel recommendations for Burgundy Region

I am visiting wineries this summer and need hotel recommendations for Burgundy area (near Beaune). Much thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
It would be helpful to have your budget and know something about your likes and dislikes, whether you're travelling solo or as a couple or en famille, etc. Some of the best places to stay are country houses in the vineyards, but they have only a few rooms, book up quickly and often are rather expensive in this region.

If you can splurge a little, check out some of the options on www.slh.com (Small Luxury Hotels). Another good resource for research is www.chateauxhotels.com. For moderate budgets, Best Westerns in France can be surprisingly nice; they often have a lot of character. Some are very modern, some are more traditional and the prices range from (depending on the hotel) a very moderate 40-50 euros up to the low 200s (for the Premier hotels). They have a reliable booking website through Best Western with good rates available for cancellable reservations, so I often book a BW far in advance of a trip and then scout around for another option, knowing that I can cancel the BW reservation closer to the trip date.

The only hotel I've stayed in in Burgundy was in Dijon, the Sofitel. It was a very grand and lovely hotel with a history, and worth a bit of a splurge at 175 euros (plus I got lots of Air France Flying Blue points). We booked it because we only a had a short weekend trip and most of the more interesting chateaux in our price range had booked up months in advance.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a website that was recommended to me by a friend - unique hotels at generally reasonable rates: www.relaisdusilence.com
Old Jan 22, 2008, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
For high end, Lameloise is the tops. It has one of the finest restaurants in the world, but make sure you reserve well in advance. But if you want an average Accor hotel, they are all over.

http://www.relaischateaux.com/lameloise

PS, I live in the area if you need more tips.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 1:41 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
A few years ago, I stayed in a village called Chambolle-Musigny in a hotel called 'Chateau Andre Ziltener'. I found it on Tripadvisor.com, a site which I always visit before booking a hotel as the reviews (as long as you read a 'representative sample of them) usually give a good picture of the hotel in question.
Anyway, the Chateau Andre Ziltener is not cheap (we paid 200 Euros a night for a double), but it is fantastic, the service is excellent and unobtusive, the rooms (at least ours, as every room is different) large. It is maybe about 20 KM South of Dijon, in the midddle of the Burgundy winelands (the hotel has its own wine). They will give you advice (and make bookings) on restaurants in the area. They serve breakfast, but no other meals (although the lady who runs the hotel made us a great light lunch on arrival 'as it was lunchtime', without us even asking!).
As I said, not cheap, but certainly worth the price! ^
Old Jan 22, 2008, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
some useful information in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=679856
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Thanks very much for the help. I like Best Western in European countries. They are nothing like the ones in the US. The Chateaus are wonderful suggestions.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Thanks very much for the help. I like Best Western in European countries.
Well that helps narrow it down. There is a St. Regis in Chalon Sur Saone. A Best Western St. Regis that is. It's quite nice and central. Walking distance to lots of fine dining and they have their own parking garage.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know I'm going to be flamed for this but, if you're going to be touring vineyards all day, I'd look more seriously into the urban hotels. After spending your days in the fields, you may fancy a bit of people-watching or contemporary (as opposed to grand) dining and/or nightlife. I'm sure there are great places to stay in Dijon, but the only place I've ever overnighted at in Burgundy was a budget hotel at Nuits St Georges (probably Balladins? Had a car breakdown on the motorway and I ended up staying at the first place I could come across), so I can't comment.
OTOH, I've stayed at this property in Lyon and found it very good (great public areas; big, airy room with great views all over the city; big bathroom and fantastic VFM). Lyon is only 50 minutes by slow train to Nuits-st-Georges; I guess you can be at many vineries within a 40 minute drive from central Lyon.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Consider Montrachet in Puligny Montrachet (www.le-montrachet.com), Domain de Loisy in Nuits St. George (www.domaine-de-loisy.com) or, for a rental house, Meo Camuzet's place in Conceur (http://www.meo-camuzet.com/en/concoe...n-concoeur.htm).

Suites at Montrachet are huge and the food is very good.
The Countess de Loisy in Nuits is a great hostess and her B&B style rooms are quite comfy.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 9:48 am

Programs: DL (NW) Silver, UA (CO), AA, AC
For urban, the Sofitel in Dijon is very nice. I think I lucked into a lower rate than 175 Euros and even got upgraded. I've only driven through Beaune but it has a wonderful old centre. I've cycled through the middle (and outskirts) of Chalon-sur-Saone and frankly didn't see much to attract me.

Last time in Burgundy my wife and I stayed at a small (13 room), renovated chateau in Buxy in the Côte Chalonnaise -- Château Fontaine de Baranges. Buxy is a small village with 2-3 restaurants (one gastronomic) walking distance; no restaurant in hotel. A good Michelin 1-star 10 minutes away. We stayed 3 days, cycled 80 kms one day and drove around & relaxed. Buxy is right on the extensive paved "rails to trails" bike trail (voie verte) that traverses south Burgundy, plus there are quiet roads as well.

I also recommend Châteux et Hôtels (http://www.chateauxhotels.com/) for finding charming small hotels, as well as the Rivages Guide du Charme (http://www.guidesdecharme.com/v3/).
Old Jan 27, 2008, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DBruce49
I've cycled through the middle (and outskirts) of Chalon-sur-Saone and frankly didn't see much to attract me.
Well if you had spent any time here you wouldn't say that. Next time have a local show you around. Chalon-sur-Saone is one of the most charming and definitely most livable towns in France.

Last time in Burgundy my wife and I stayed at a small (13 room), renovated chateau in Buxy in the Côte Chalonnaise -- Château Fontaine de Baranges.
I've stayed there too and it is quite nice. ^
Old Jan 27, 2008, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a dup

Last edited by stimpy; Jan 27, 2008 at 10:05 am
Old Jan 27, 2008, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got the 2008 Relais & Chateaux guide in the mail. There are 8 in Burgundy and Franche Compte.

Abbaye de la Bussiere
Chateau de Germigney
Cote Saint Jacques
Esperance
Georges Blanc & Spa
Hostellerie de Levernois
Lameloise
Relais Bernard Loisseau

The only one I know is Lameloise (which is amazing) so I need to try some of the others when weather gets better.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 11:07 am

Programs: DL (NW) Silver, UA (CO), AA, AC
So, M. Stimpy, is that an offer?

I didn't mean to say it wasn't charming. I find most French towns and small cities charming, and they definitely seem livable to me. I must admit that our view of Chalon-sur-Saône was extremely brief and from the perspetive of a bicycle. From reading the literature I picked up, there did appear to be interesting restaurants, the photo museum and musical activities in the summer.

I likely won't forget that day given that we cycled 80 kms. with the last several bucking a stiff headwind. We earned our 1 star meal that evening. We also found a wonderful restaurant at lunch, Auberge des Alouettes if I'm not mistaken, just west of Chalon-sur-Saône. The staff made us most welcome despite being dressed for casual cycling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.