Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Chunnel Train - London to Paris (Le Meridien E'Toile)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2007, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team

I could use some advice on the best way to get from the chunnel train stop in Paris to the Meridien E'toile. Metro? If so, I could use some details. Taxi better? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by BoyAreMyArmsTired; May 3, 2007 at 10:07 am
Old May 3, 2007, 12:00 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Fastest way on public transport is to take RER B or D to Chatelet-Les Halles and then change to Metro Line 1 to Porte Maillot. The whole journey should take ~30 mins and costs €1,30 at most. Taxi would probably be around 20 mins and cost around €12+

Have a look at www.ratp.com
Old May 3, 2007, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would it not be quicker to get the RER A at chatelet-Les-Halles westbound to CDG-Etoile and change onto line 1 there?
As I recall, the RER A westbound at Chatelet is just across from the RER B southbound, but my days of living in Paris are somewhat distant so I might have got that wrong.
Old May 3, 2007, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by NickB
Would it not be quicker to get the RER A at chatelet-Les-Halles westbound to CDG-Etoile and change onto line 1 there?
As I recall, the RER A westbound at Chatelet is just across from the RER B southbound, but my days of living in Paris are somewhat distant so I might have got that wrong.
But why change twice?!
Old May 4, 2007, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad1974
But why change twice?!
I think that my post explained: IIRC, the change between RER B southbound and RER A westbound at Chatelet-les-Halles is only crossing the platform from one train to another (rather than the very long walk to Line 1 at the far end of Chatelet).
Old May 4, 2007, 1:45 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Not quite: the RER B dir Robinson/Massy (Southbound) is on the same platform as the RER A dir MLV (Eastbound). For St Germain en Laye (Westbound), you have to go up a level then back down again.
Old May 4, 2007, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stut
Not quite: the RER B dir Robinson/Massy (Southbound) is on the same platform as the RER A dir MLV (Eastbound). For St Germain en Laye (Westbound), you have to go up a level then back down again.
Thanks, Stut. That is what I had a niggling doubt about, viz. whether it was west or east-bound which was on the same platform.
Old May 4, 2007, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by NickB
Thanks, Stut. That is what I had a niggling doubt about, viz. whether it was west or east-bound which was on the same platform.

Since the OP has to get on Metro line 1 anyway, telling him to get onto the (often confusing) RER for a needless interim stop is just silly, even if it might, in theory, save a minute or two.

There's a huge value to keeping this stuff simple for newbies, even if it means we can't always post everything we might know.
Old May 6, 2007, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Since the OP has to get on Metro line 1 anyway, telling him to get onto the (often confusing) RER for a needless interim stop is just silly, even if it might, in theory, save a minute or two.

There's a huge value to keeping this stuff simple for newbies, even if it means we can't always post everything we might know.
I definitely need to keep it simple (because I'm travelling solo and it's my first time there). And I'm a her (despite the "boy" in my handle).
Old May 6, 2007, 2:11 pm
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BoyAreMyArmsTired
I definitely need to keep it simple (because I'm travelling solo and it's my first time there). And I'm a her (despite the "boy" in my handle).
I can attest that, by all outward appearances, him is a her
Old May 6, 2007, 4:20 pm

Totally agree, hence my original advice.
Old May 7, 2007, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey, I am not the one who suggested an RER-metro interchange in the first place. If you really think that the RER is confusing, then clearly the best advice would NOT be to get onto the RER B or D at Gare du nord at all, but rather to take the metro ligne 4 towards Porte d'Orleans and change at Chatelet onto ligne 1 to Porte Maillot. only one change metro to metro, rather than rer to metro. This would also clearly involve far, far less walking and be only marginally longer, if at all.
Old May 7, 2007, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by BoyAreMyArmsTired

My apologies for the wrong gender assignation.

When you get off the RER at Chatalet, look for and follow signs to "Metro". As you get closer, you'll see color coded signs for different Metro lines-look for the Yellow sign indicating Line 1. Keep following those, and then as you get closer still, you'll have to figure out which of the 2 directions to take line 1. You want the one going to La Defense, not the one going to Chateau de Vincennes.

Also, keep an eye out for pickpockets as both the RER in from CDG and also Line 1 are ripe with the quick-fingered folks. Find a seat, if you can, as it's tougher to pick the pocket of someone sitting down. Watch that dangling purse or backpack.

Enjoy your trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.