Side trip from Paris

Old Apr 21, 05, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold
Question Side trip from Paris

I'm going to Paris from December 24th to the 31st. My original plan was to go this summer but UA didn't have any award flights so I had to go over Christmas.

In my original plan, I wanted to go to Normandy and do the overloard tour (could be worthy of the links thread).

http://www.overlordtour.com/

Does anyone have an opinion on going to Normandy and doing this type of tour during the winter? I'm debating over whether this would be worthwhile or not.

If this isn't worthwhile, is there some other side trip that I really should do since it is the winter. Anything Christmas related?

Thanks
Old Apr 21, 05, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
If this will be your only chance, then yes. However, I would wait until I could go in the summer. It is a moving experience and I think you will be able to appreciate it more if the weather is nice and you can wander around and listen to the wind whisper thru the trees while in the cemetaries - as opposed to being in a situation when all you can think about is getting out of the weather and back onto the bus.
Old Apr 21, 05, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
If this will be your only chance, then yes. However, I would wait until I could go in the summer. It is a moving experience and I think you will be able to appreciate it more if the weather is nice and you can wander around and listen to the wind whisper thru the trees while in the cemetaries - as opposed to being in a situation when all you can think about is getting out of the weather and back onto the bus.
Well, I probably plan on seeing a few other places before going back to France. I want to see the world ;-)

What would you expect the weather to be like in December in Normandy?
Old Apr 21, 05, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bcl00
Well, I probably plan on seeing a few other places before going back to France. I want to see the world ;-)

What would you expect the weather to be like in December in Normandy?
Actually, I just looked it up. I don't think I want my memory of Normandy to be a rainy, cold day.

Do you have any other suggestions for relatively inexpensive and not too time consuming side trips during that time of the year? I'm already planning at least one full day in Versailles. I could expand this to two days if it would be worthwhile. Or, we could just spend a little extra time in the museums.
Old Apr 22, 05, 11:01 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Actually, I just looked it up. I don't think I want my memory of Normandy to be a rainy, cold day.

Do you have any other suggestions for relatively inexpensive and not too time consuming side trips during that time of the year? I'm already planning at least one full day in Versailles. I could expand this to two days if it would be worthwhile. Or, we could just spend a little extra time in the museums.
I havent done this but really want to. I think Verdun is fairly close to Paris. If you are interested in battlefields that is one to see. They fortunately dont make them like that anymore; and lets hope it stays that way. But from an historical perspective it could be fascinating.
Old Apr 22, 05, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA 2MM
Also keep in mind that Paris will not only be cold, but the days will be short (daylight ~ 8:30-4:30-ish), limiting your day trips. This would be a great week to stay pretty much in Paris with its great museums uncrowded (the ones open during the holidays!), and enjoying the cafes.
Versailles could be easily done, perhaps the champagne area of Reims; other that that, I'd spend the time exploring Paris.
Old Apr 26, 05, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by MDSD
Also keep in mind that Paris will not only be cold, but the days will be short (daylight ~ 8:30-4:30-ish), limiting your day trips. This would be a great week to stay pretty much in Paris with its great museums uncrowded (the ones open during the holidays!), and enjoying the cafes.
Versailles could be easily done, perhaps the champagne area of Reims; other that that, I'd spend the time exploring Paris.
I would have responded sooner, but I've been in PARIS!

Chartres is another easy day trip - but I wouldn't go there unless you woke up to a sunny day. The stained glass is much more spectacular when the sun is out. If you are lucky, Malcomb Miller will be there doing a tour - he has spent his life studying the windows - shortly after noon and mid-afternoon every day but Sunday (when he is not lecturing elsewhere as he sometimes does in the winter). I agree with the above, however, that you could easily spend your entire time in Paris and still feel you had many things left unseen.
Old Apr 28, 05, 9:38 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt, BonWhut?
Normandy coast will be cold, could be rainy, could be windy.

I would opt for Chartres or Rouen, both quite close to Paris and easy day trips.

Then again, you could go to Brussels.

lala
Old Apr 28, 05, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by lalala
Normandy coast will be cold, could be rainy, could be windy.

I would opt for Chartres or Rouen, both quite close to Paris and easy day trips.

lala
Don't you go to Rouen on the way to Normandy?
Old Apr 29, 05, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by lalala

lala
I can't imagine why someone with a week in Paris would waste a day going to Brussels. I know it's only an hour or so away, but what do you suggest they see when they get there?
Old Apr 29, 05, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
I can't imagine why someone with a week in Paris would waste a day going to Brussels. I know it's only an hour or so away, but what do you suggest they see when they get there?
lalala can speak for herself, but perhaps that was put there for a reason?
Old Apr 29, 05, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm. Did you post a similar question on Usenet in rec.travel.europe?

I've been to Paris that time of year a few times; I've always been lucky with the weather -- cold, but not freezing or slushy.

Versailles is, in my opinion, a single day visit, only, though a very interesting one.

Chartres is a nice city to visit. It's about an hour by train from Paris. The cathedral and the old city are about a 10 minute walk from the train station.

I've not spent a lot of time in Normandy (I'll get to the beaches some day -- my father was a D-Day +3, so I'd like to see). I have visited Mont-St-Michel, which is quite impressive. Christmas week might be a good time to go, since it's usually packed with tourists. It's doable as a day trip -- you can either take one of the bus tours or, better and more comfortable, take a train to -- oh, rats, I forgot the name of the city near by -- and then rent a car.

If you're thinking of doing an overnight from Paris, you might consider Loire Valley. Take the TGV to Tours (under three hours). Rent a car and view the spectacular chateaux which cover the region. Don't do this, though, if its snowy or bad weather -- though there is an excellent highway that runs through the region, the roads to the chateaux are secondary or smaller and will be difficult to navigate in bad weather.

Note, however, that you're in Paris for barely a week. Believe me, there's more than enough to do in Paris during that time -- you can be on the go constantly and still not cover everything that you'd like to see. Paris has a great subway system -- the Metro -- and taxis are plentiful. Even in foul weather, it's easy to get around, but the best way to appreciate the city is on foot. If this is your first visit, I'd recommend simply staying put and savoring one of the most beautiful and elegant cities in the world.
Old May 3, 05, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
The Normandy beaches and the American Cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer are astonishing, moving things to see, but I wouldn't go in winter, nor for just a few hours. When you have time you should see Bayeux and Caen as well, especially if you're a student of the D-Day actions.

I would probably just stick around Paris myself as well. If you're determined to do a day trip out of town, I wouldn't do Brux necessarily, but how about Brugge? Quick trip, great architecture, pretty charming.
Old May 6, 05, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
This post is spot on.

I even went in January. Should be required for all American high school students. (NO, I havent worked out all the practicalities of that idea....yet) Took in Bayeaux as well. A great (full) day trip from Paris.

More moving, interesting, beautiful than Brussels.

If you're headed for Belgium, make it Brugges. Among top 3 of most beautiful old cities of Europe that Ive ever seen.

Last edited by bbkenney; May 6, 05 at 11:28 pm
Old May 20, 05, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Anything Christmas related?

Thanks
I'd try Strasbourg, Colmar. The East of France is very charming in winter season.
you can go there by train or by plane.

if you speak french, just click here

ps: i live in this area, so if you want more info, don't hesitate

Search this Thread