Wiki Posts
Search

airport transfer

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2005, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles Silver Elite
airport transfer

What will be the best way for us to get to hotel from CDG. We are staying the in latin quarter. Our hotel said we could take some minibus that stops at more then one hotel. What is most economical and easiest way? Keep in mind we have luggage.

Matt
Old May 14, 2005, 9:35 pm

Location: NWA Platinum, PC Platinum, HH Gold, Radisson elite, Hertz #1 Gold; National Emerald, Wausau, WI
Taxis are convenient and not OVERLY expensive if you have several people and baggage to deal with. Expect to pay around 45 Euros to get from the airport to your hotel, depending on traffic, exact destination in the Latin Quarter and other variables. Yes, there are also some shuttle services, but I've never understood the affinity some people seem to have for them. The savings over a taxi aren't all that substantial and it creates the need to touch base with a specific driver at a specific time and place. Some have to be called upon your arrival.

Several lower cost alternatives exist, but you should be thinking about them when you pack.

For 12 Euros, the Air France bus will take to you to any of several points in central Paris where you can pick up a taxi or the metro (or if you're lucky, nothing but your feet) to get to your final destination. You can pick up this bus right outside the terminal.

A very low cost, efficient alternative is to take the RER Line B3, for 7.85 Euros. You can pick this up at the station near Terminal 2. The RER doesn't get stuck in traffic and conveniently links right into the Paris Metro system. That said, remember not to bring along things that will kill you on the stairs if this is to be your choice. You simply don't want more than you can conveniently and securely control.
Old May 15, 2005, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Latin Quarter is direct via the RER. Whats the name of your hotel so we can give you a better idea of what type of transportation would be best.
Old May 15, 2005, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

We are staying at
Residence Henri IV - 50, rue des Bernardins.

Wouldnt rer be hard when juggiling luggage. Would Taxi really be about 45 euros? Because shuttle transfers I find are going to be more then that with 4 people.

Matt

We leave tomorrow at 9:30am FYI
Old May 16, 2005, 2:48 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Taxi will be more than 45 euros because you have 4 people and bags. The 4th person costs 2.70 euros and each bag is .90 euros. I wouldn't expect that it would cost more than 65 euros. The bag charge will not show up on the meter and I am not sure if the extra person charge does. Dont be surprised when the driver asks you for more than is on the meter.

Based on the location of your hotel and the fact that dragging luggage about can be a pain, I would vote for taxi. The RER costs 7.80 per person x 4 so thats half the cab fare. Based on the hotel location you would need to change to the metro. Plus when you exit the metro you still have a short walk dragging your luggage. RER can be worth it with one or two people considering the savings but with 4 I would take a taxi every time! I wouldnt even consider a shuttle with 4 people. The possible savings isnt worth the inconvience over a Taxi.

Have a great trip!
Old May 16, 2005, 5:46 am

Why would anyone who lives in Mississippi want to go to Paris, anyway?
Old May 16, 2005, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wideman
Why would anyone who lives in Mississippi want to go to Paris, anyway?
LOL... We are not from here. Trust me. Move here last summer from Orange County,California for a job. The whole family definitely doesnt like the area here at all! Hopfully we will be moving back to California it looks like next summer though. Off to finish getting ready and we are driving to Atlanta. Looks like we will take the taxi.

Matt
Old May 16, 2005, 6:11 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by msett
Keep in mind we have luggage.

Matt
How much luggage? I agree that the taxi is much more convenient than the shuttle for 4 people with luggage and is probably cheaper. For 1 or 2 people the shuttle is cheaper. However, if you have a lot of luggage and 4 people, a regular taxi may not handle it all, unless it is a van.
Old May 16, 2005, 3:15 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've used 3 different shuttle services now. And I got hosed by 2 of them (very late pickup for trip to CDG, then driver makes 3 more slow pickups. Reason: Driver showed up for work 45 minutes late!).

Taxi's don't work well for the 4 of us with so many bags and one pax in a ollapsible wheelchair. Frankly, we just wouldn't fit.

The last trip there, I tried www.shuttair.com/Default.asp?PGFLngID=1 and was VERY pleased! Both directions we had private vans. At CDG, there was a driver waiting for us where they said he would be. On departure from hotel, the driver actually showed up 20 minutes early!!!

I reserved a minicab which actually got us a private van.

Although English was not spoken by either driver, I loved this service!

BTW, this is a "prepay service" arranged through their website. But then there was no payment issue on arrival. And given the service, I was actually happy to tip both drivers!

Enjoy Paris.

Last edited by roberto99; Jun 14, 2005 at 7:54 pm
Old May 19, 2005, 10:31 am

Programs: BA, AA, Azamara, Princess, RCI & more
Roberto - Can you tell me the shuttle companies you used and didn't like? We booked with Airport Connection's white mini-vans. Thanks!
Old May 20, 2005, 7:24 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
We've been stung by the old blue one and the shiny silver one.

We've also come to HATE making 3 slow stops en-route. Often, the stops are way out of the way.

We were just minutes from missing our flight home one time due to the late silver van. GRRR.

Enjoy Paris!
Old May 23, 2005, 7:18 pm

save a few bucks...

...take the air france bus to the center of the city - and then grab a cab to your hotel. the traffic jams from cdg to center of city can be rough - and the meter just ticks up. the buses are a good cheap alternative - and everyone takes them.
Old May 23, 2005, 7:47 pm

save a few bucks...

...take the air france bus to the center of the city - and then grab a cab to your hotel. the traffic jams from cdg to center of city can be rough - and the meter just ticks up. the buses are a good cheap alternative - and everyone takes them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.