Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

7 hours lay over in CDG. Quick stop at Eiffel tower?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2023, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)

We are flying from USA arriving at CDG 6AM on Sunday and our connecting Ari France flight leaves 1PM.

We (six people) would like to take a mini-van cab (I am assuming less traffic on Sunday Morning) and have a quick trip to Eiffel tower.

600AM arrival at CDG
600AM-700AM Immigration
30min extra time just in case
730AM-830AM mini-van cab to Eiffel tower
830AM-930AM walk around the tower
930AM-1030AM mini-van cab back to CDG
30min extra time just in case
1100AM airport check in / security / meal in CDG
100PM departure - connecting flight

1. Is this do-able? Is there anything we should know about?

2. IF this is do-able, do you have any taxi service to recommend? Or do i just walk in and take a cab from the taxi stop at CDG?

Thank you
Old Jan 27, 2023, 3:36 am

Programs: FB Gold
Should be do-able.

No need to reserve in advance, as taxi fares from the parisien airports => city centre are fixed (east or west bank). Note this isn't true in the opposite direction so it will be by the taxi meter.

If your corresponding flight at 13h is within Schengen, I might even think re-arriving back at Roissy 1h30 before departure might be sufficient, as any checked bags get checked to the final destination so it is only a matter of security contrôle.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlin32
Should be do-able.

No need to reserve in advance, as taxi fares from the parisien airports => city centre are fixed (east or west bank). Note this isn't true in the opposite direction so it will be by the taxi meter.

If your corresponding flight at 13h is within Schengen, I might even think re-arriving back at Roissy 1h30 before departure might be sufficient, as any checked bags get checked to the final destination so it is only a matter of security contrôle.
Thank you. We are flying to Norway, My understanding is Norway is not in EU but in Schengen.

Do you recommend G7 or Uber in Paris?

Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2023, 4:49 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Yes, perfectly doable. BTDT, used G7, cost to get there and back was around 120 Euro for the van. The journey took 35 minutes in light traffic.
We didn't just walk around the base but I bought tickets to get to the top (had the combo ticket for the lift and a glass of champagne at the bar at the top).
Got the tickets in advance on the tour eiffel website https://ticket.toureiffel.paris/en and it all went very smoothly. Like with airline award inventory, advance-sale tickets are limited and only made available 60 days in advance, so you need to be quick to snap them up as soon as they get added (T-60 days at midnight local time) . The party I did this for were first-time Paris and France visitors, and the experience was worth the money.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhomburg
Yes, perfectly doable. BTDT, used G7, cost to get there and back was around 120 Euro for the van. The journey took 35 minutes in light traffic.
We didn't just walk around the base but I bought tickets to get to the top (had the combo ticket for the lift and a glass of champagne at the bar at the top).
Got the tickets in advance on the tour eiffel website https://ticket.toureiffel.paris/en and it all went very smoothly. Like with airline award inventory, advance-sale tickets are limited and only made available 60 days in advance, so you need to be quick to snap them up as soon as they get added (T-60 days at midnight local time) . The party I did this for were first-time Paris and France visitors, and the experience was worth the money.
Yes. The experience. - I completely agree. My 14 year old and 12 year old children are first time Paris visitors. Thank you for the advice for the combo ticket.

G7 - Did you book two one way mini van rides or one round trip mini van ride in advance? Or did you book when you are ready to go?

Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2023, 7:49 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Booked everything in advance. No way I`d wanted to deal with finding a ride back to the airport on the spot while having to chaperone my group around (no one of whom spoke any French).
I have to agree that the tour Eiffel is a tourist trap and a ripoff. But it was worth it in this case. BTW, I`d not be surprised if you could book the combo ticket including the champagne for your children. Although the minimum drinking age in France is 16....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.