Covid tests prior to entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid tests prior to entry?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
FWIW (2022 edition ...)

No trouble getting on DL plane at JFK with a U.S. rapid (BinaxNow) antigen test.

No trouble on deplaning at CDG. There was a checkpoint after disembarking (but before passport control) where they asked for passport and proof of vaccination status, but not Covid test.
ryandc99 and gooselee like this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 12:02 pm

For vaccinated U.S. citizens, is the Covid test requirement 48 hours before the first leg of travel, or is it 48 hours before the departure on the flight to France? I have looked everywhere and cannot find an answer to this question.

We will be transiting in JFK from Columbus, O. and unfortunately now have a layover of more than 8 hours. I was worried that such a long layover might also require us to get retested. Ideally we would only get tested during the layover, but I'm afraid AA won't allow us to board our first flight to JFK if we don't.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by dc10forlife
For vaccinated U.S. citizens, is the Covid test requirement 48 hours before the first leg of travel, or is it 48 hours before the departure on the flight to France? I have looked everywhere and cannot find an answer to this question.

We will be transiting in JFK from Columbus, O. and unfortunately now have a layover of more than 8 hours. I was worried that such a long layover might also require us to get retested. Ideally we would only get tested during the layover, but I'm afraid AA won't allow us to board our first flight to JFK if we don't.
From the starting flight. I think. The legislation says "moins de 48 heures avant le dplacement" -- less than 24 hours before the dplacement, which I would translate in this context as "the trip." I went back to the legislation because some of the on-line interpretations are confusing, like French embassy sites, refer to "le vol," or "the flight" (my emphasis). As though there were only one flight.

Of course, this is kind of bizarro-world stuff, as I indicated in some comments above. Think of a baggage check-in agent in CMH, faced with passengers connecting in JFK (or elsewhere) headed for France, for Italy, for the UK, for .... How in the world are they supposed to have a handle on these series of confusingly written and often-changing rules? Like they will have studied the language differences between French embassy websites and the original legislation? Conversely, the French legislation is written as though the U.S. and other countries have unified testing and reporting systems similar to those in France. Which the U.S. does not. I think we have to basically do whatever everyone else is doing, and be prepared to be our own lawyers in a pinch.

I have been wondering about testing at the point of international departure, but I think you are right -- the chance that they would let you on the originating flight is low, in the same way that they won't let us get on without a passport, even if the flight is CMH-JFK. To pull that trick, I think separate tickets would be required.
dc10forlife likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by dc10forlife

Assuming this is all on one ticket, the documents will be verified at your first point of departure (Columbus USA) as your boarding passes will be issued for both segments at that time.
LETTERBOY and dc10forlife like this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by mlin32
Assuming this is all on one ticket, the documents will be verified at your first point of departure (Columbus USA) as your boarding passes will be issued for both segments at that time.
I confirm. Its 48hrs before departure of the 1st flight.
dc10forlife and LETTERBOY like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.