Wiki Posts
Search

Covid controls at Swiss-French border?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Covid controls at Swiss-French border?

I'm flying into GVA in a couple of weeks and then heading to the French Alps for a week. Does anyone know if there are COVID controls at the French border in the Geneva area where one could expect paperwork checks? We should be ok if there are but always good to know what to expect.

Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC
I'm heading to GVA tomorrow en-route to Avoriaz/Morzine area,, will update.
expatboy likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:42 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
I'm flying in to GVA on Friday and also heading on to the Morzine area. From what I understand from local contacts, the border crossings are pretty much running normally, i.e. no checks coming from CH into F and vice-versa, particularly if you have either CH or F plates on your vehicle. You should in any case have your vaccination records on hand (you'll need them to enter CH at GVA anyway) and make sure you've completed the declaration d'honneur for France just in case.
expatboy likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC
This morning we were in a private transfer van from GVA to Avoriaz, no checks at the Swiss/France border.

Passport control at the airport asked for proof of pre-departure neg test and the Swiss PLF.

Enjoy the mountains, don’t forget to report back resort conditions and other insights on the French Skiing thread here.
expatboy likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all, good to have confirmation from the ground! noniron , Captain Schmidt , enjoy the slopes! We are heading to Montchavin near La Plagne in Paradiski for a week. Cannot wait. Apart from the easyJet flight from ABZ ;-), but at least it's non-stop.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by expatboy
Thanks all, good to have confirmation from the ground! noniron , Captain Schmidt , enjoy the slopes! We are heading to Montchavin near La Plagne in Paradiski for a week. Cannot wait. Apart from the easyJet flight from ABZ ;-), but at least it's non-stop.
Thanks - you too. Hoping I can remember how to ski!!!

Btw, in case you hadn't heard, Switzerland has dropped the pre-departure test for arrivals into Switzerland effective from this Saturday, though the requirement to test before entering France still applies for now.
expatboy likes this.

Last edited by Captain Schmidt; Jan 20, 2022 at 1:41 am
Old Jan 20, 2022, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks - although I think that the pre-departure test still applies for us as we are effectively transiting into France with less than 14 days in Switzerland, so technically I think we still need to comply with the French testing requirements. But that may just be for unvaccinated pax. No refunds on tests anyway, only vouchers. Hasd to shell out £250 for tests in ABZ airport for the 5 of us! Hey ho.

Likewise need to remember how to ski - only did a single dat at Lecht here in Scotland last season before Nicola locked us down again.

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
Thanks - you too. Hoping I can remember how to ski!!!

Btw, in case you hadn't heard, Switzerland has dropped the pre-departure test for arrivals into Switzerland effective from this Saturday, though the requirement to test before entering France still applies for now.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by expatboy
Thanks - although I think that the pre-departure test still applies for us as we are effectively transiting into France with less than 14 days in Switzerland, so technically I think we still need to comply with the French testing requirements. But that may just be for unvaccinated pax. No refunds on tests anyway, only vouchers. Hasd to shell out £250 for tests in ABZ airport for the 5 of us! Hey ho.

Likewise need to remember how to ski - only did a single dat at Lecht here in Scotland last season before Nicola locked us down again.
So, my experience yesterday:

EasyJet checked vaccination status, Swiss PLF and Fit-toFly certificate at the gate before letting us board (we had not checked bags, had we have checked bags, this would have been done at the check-in desk).

At GVA, I handed over my passport. Swiss frontier control neither asked for, nor looked at anything else. Mrs Schmidt was ahead of me and he did ask her if she was staying in CH or transiting, but he didn't even ask me that.

We then took a shuttle service to Les Gets and at the French border on the Autoroute, we merely drove straight through as normal - no checks, no sign of checks.

As ever, YMMV of course....

Enjoy the skiing, my muscle memory kicked-in after the first couple of runs and the sun is out, so hoping for a good 10 days or so!
expatboy likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Super, thanks Captain Schmidt ! Much appreciated. Enjoy your trip!
Captain Schmidt likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Any experiences with rapid testing at GVA airport for departures?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.