CDG to train

Old Apr 9, 18, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

CDG to train

We will arrive on an AA flight from JFK to CDG at 7:45am on a weekday morning. My plan was to take a taxi to the Paris St Lazare train station to catch the direct train to Bayeux. If I book the 12:09 train would that leave enough time to clear customs and get a taxi and make it to the train station?

Thanks.
Old Apr 9, 18, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
You'll be fine. Even with the crazy traffic in the morning getting into Paris, you'll make it with plenty of time to spare. I take that AA flight every week. It often arrives early and there is usually no wait at immigration. Bags come out pretty quickly. Worst case scenario is you're out of immigration/customs by 9am and it's a 2 hour drive(it's happened before) into Paris. You'll be at the station by 11am. Of course, this is assuming the flight is on time.
'
Old Apr 10, 18, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justforfun View Post
You'll be fine. Even with the crazy traffic in the morning getting into Paris, you'll make it with plenty of time to spare. I take that AA flight every week. It often arrives early and there is usually no wait at immigration. Bags come out pretty quickly. Worst case scenario is you're out of immigration/customs by 9am and it's a 2 hour drive(it's happened before) into Paris. You'll be at the station by 11am. Of course, this is assuming the flight is on time.
'
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.
Old Apr 14, 18, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Plat
Just a quick note to check the train strike thread if you are doing this in the next few months.
Old Apr 16, 18, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ckendall View Post
Just a quick note to check the train strike thread if you are doing this in the next few months.
Thanks...I'll keep a watch on it.
Old Apr 19, 18, 11:12 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Alternatively, you could take the RER & Metro using this routing. Give time of just 60 minutes.
Old Apr 20, 18, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky View Post
Alternatively, you could take the RER & Metro using this routing. Give time of just 60 minutes.
Agreed- only thing to note is that you will have a pretty long walk at CDG to get to the train station, because you have to walk the length of Terminal 2C- it's probably a good 1/3 mile. Then, you will have a long walk at Chatelet-Les Halles if you choose to transfer there to the 14- maybe almost 1/2 mile. Or if you take the RER E route you will again have a long walk from the Haussmann-St. Lazare RER station to Gare St. Lazare- maybe 1/3 mile. Personally I wouldn't have a problem doing those walks and would happily choose that over stressing in a cab through rush hour traffic- it will also save you 40 euros. But if you have mobility issues or heavy luggage that doesn't move well the RER/Metro route might not work for you.
Old Apr 24, 18, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCJoe1 View Post
Agreed- only thing to note is that you will have a pretty long walk at CDG to get to the train station, because you have to walk the length of Terminal 2C- it's probably a good 1/3 mile. Then, you will have a long walk at Chatelet-Les Halles if you choose to transfer there to the 14- maybe almost 1/2 mile. Or if you take the RER E route you will again have a long walk from the Haussmann-St. Lazare RER station to Gare St. Lazare- maybe 1/3 mile. Personally I wouldn't have a problem doing those walks and would happily choose that over stressing in a cab through rush hour traffic- it will also save you 40 euros. But if you have mobility issues or heavy luggage that doesn't move well the RER/Metro route might not work for you.
Thanks for this information. We are thinking (family of 4 with 4 bags) that a taxi will just be easier and it seems with the fixed price taxi the cost difference will be minimal.

I hope I'm not wrong! We will of course, adjust based on when the flight lands and how long customs/border control take us.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 24, 18, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky View Post
Thank you, I had not seen that web site before.
Old Apr 25, 18, 9:39 am

Programs: SkyMiles Silver/MM, HHonors Gold, MileagePlus/newbie, AAdvantage/novice
We arrive at 6:45am (also on AA, from CLT), and need to make it to Gare Montparnasse for a 10:24 am train. Doable?
Old Apr 25, 18, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by MileJunkieIsHereAgain View Post
We arrive at 6:45am (also on AA, from CLT), and need to make it to Gare Montparnasse for a 10:24 am train. Doable?
of course !
Old Apr 25, 18, 2:34 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
In theory this is possible. However, passport control can be problematic at times and traffic can lengthen en route times to Montparnasse. You have allowed the absolute minimum time I would suggest.

Good luck.
Old Apr 26, 18, 7:06 am

Programs: SkyMiles Silver/MM, HHonors Gold, MileagePlus/newbie, AAdvantage/novice
Really? over 3.5 hrs is not enough?! oh-oh
Old May 3, 18, 7:36 am

Programs: Flying Blue (plat), Miles&More, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by MileJunkieIsHereAgain View Post
Really? over 3.5 hrs is not enough?! oh-oh
Guess you're going to Bordeaux. What about travelling on the 9:19am TGV from CDG ?
Old May 3, 18, 9:19 am

We're already booked on 10:24 am. When I was shopping for the tickets, I saw a train from CDG, it was a lot more expensive...So I figured we can hop over to Gare Montparansse..

Search this Thread