Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Question about connecting through CDG

Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I've flown in and out of CDG (Paris) many time but I've never connected through it. In this case, I will be traveling for Germany for Spinal surgery.

I won't be checking any luggage and will be utilizing wheelchair service. I have a long layover (during which I'll be enjoying lounge access lol) before I switch to Eurowings airlines.

QUESTION IS: When I arrive, after going through immigration, because I have NOT checked any bags, will I have to go outside past the security checkpoint and go through security again or will I be permitted to stay in the terminal and go right to the lounge?

I appreciate your guidance!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:08 am

Flight Connections Information - PARIS-CDG CHARLES de GAULLE AIRPORT
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:14 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Moving this to our French forum, which is the best spot about CDG questions.

chgoeditor
co-moderator, Info Desk
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Sarah Dettloff Pasquesoone
Hello,

I've flown in and out of CDG (Paris) many time but I've never connected through it. In this case, I will be traveling for Germany for Spinal surgery.

I won't be checking any luggage and will be utilizing wheelchair service. I have a long layover (during which I'll be enjoying lounge access lol) before I switch to Eurowings airlines.

QUESTION IS: When I arrive, after going through immigration, because I have NOT checked any bags, will I have to go outside past the security checkpoint and go through security again or will I be permitted to stay in the terminal and go right to the lounge?

I appreciate your guidance!
Welcome to FT
It's hard to answer your questions without knowing where you are arriving from, going to (OK, Germany ?), which incoming airline (which will tell us which terminal), all on same ticket or separate tickets ?
LondonElite and Tamino like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
So I think I need to leave immigration in this instance but thought I'd ask here. If I'm going MIA to CDG to VCE do I need to clear passport control? The MIA to CDG portion is on AA and the CDG to VCE is on Air France - obviously separate tickets.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:25 pm

If I'm going MIA to CDG to VCE do I need to clear passport control? The MIA to CDG portion is on AA and the CDG to VCE is on Air France - obviously separate tickets.
You are entering the Schengen Area in Paris so regardless of whether you are booked on one ticket or separate tickets, you have to clear Schengen entry passport control at CDG. (Which specific passport control point you clear it through might depend on how you booked it, if you need to pick up luggage. etc., but no matter what you'll have to do it in Paris.)
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Without knowing all your flight details, it's hard to be specific, but it sounds like you'll arrive at terminal 2E and depart for VCE out of 2F. Here's a helpful link
​​​Easy CDG
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:16 pm

I’ll be on AA62 (departs 14/10 and lands 15/10) from MIA to CDG and then I’ll connect on AF1726 on 15:10 from CDG to VCE. If it matters I’ll have no checked luggage.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by rickg523
Without knowing all your flight details, it's hard to be specific, but it sounds like you'll arrive at terminal 2E and depart for VCE out of 2F. Here's a helpful link
​​​Easy CDG
OP said he/she’s on AA for MIA-CDG, so arrival in 2A, not 2E.
VCE on AF will indeed depart from 2F.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I’ll be on AA62 (departs 14/10 and lands 15/10) from MIA to CDG and then I’ll connect on AF1726 on 15:10 from CDG to VCE. If it matters I’ll have no checked luggage.
Normally, AA arrives at 2A. Check your TATL flight before you leave.
AF to Venice leaves from 2F.
​​​​​​You'll need to go through Passport Control - entering Schengen from USA - and security at Terminal 2F.
Here's the guide.
Easy CDG 1
Easy CDG 2

Edit - sorry for the duplicate. Goldorak posted the correction while I was typing..
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Normally, AA arrives at 2A. Check your TATL flight before you leave.
AF to Venice leaves from 2F.
​​​​​​You'll need to go through Passport Control - entering Schengen from USA - and security at Terminal 2F.
Here's the guide.
Easy CDG 1
Easy CDG 2

Edit - sorry for the duplicate. Goldorak posted the correction while I was typing..
Thank you - looks easy enough with 3+ hours. I just didn’t know if I HAD to go through passport control/security again since I was continuing on internationally.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
. I just didn’t know if I HAD to go through passport control/security again since I was continuing on internationally.
While a Paris-Venice flight is indeed an international flight, from a passport-control perspective intra-Schengen flights act essentially as domestic flights. So while a Miami-Paris-Venice itinerary does technically consist of two sequential international flights, it really behaves as if it were an international flight from the US, followed by a domestic flight within Schengen. Like any international-domestic sequence that I can think of, you have to clear passport control at that first port of entry before your domestic flight.

In other words, in an itinerary that is A (non-Schengen) --> B (Schengen) --> C (Schengen) you always have to clear Schengen passport control at B, regardless of whether B or C are in the same country.

(I specify "from a passport-control perspective" because the rules for where you clear customs and whether you have to re-clear security are not identical. I think CDG forces almost everyone coming in from a non-Schengen flight to re-clear security, but I'm not 100% sure on this.)
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by andrewesque
I think CDG forces almost everyone coming in from a non-Schengen flight to re-clear security, but I'm not 100% sure on this.)
Correct.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:47 pm

Thanks all! I was fairly certain that I would need to take those steps but the information I read did leave a little doubt. Hopefully this thread helps others in the future.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
I have spent more than 1 hour in passport control at CDG. There are effectively two points for passport control; one for those connecting and another for terminating passengers. The former is much faster than the latter but as you know, for handling purposes you are not a connecting passenger.

Be absolutely sure that you are checked in for your follow on flight as to avoid any need to visit the check-in counter. Then there is the unknown of security which typically is no more than 30 minutes but I have spent up to 1 hour.

I shouldn´t describe CDG as the most efficiently operated airports I have ever used. Little more than 3 hours is not the ample connect time that it may seem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.