FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question about connecting through CDG
View Single Post
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:15 am
andrewesque

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
. I just didn’t know if I HAD to go through passport control/security again since I was continuing on internationally.
While a Paris-Venice flight is indeed an international flight, from a passport-control perspective intra-Schengen flights act essentially as domestic flights. So while a Miami-Paris-Venice itinerary does technically consist of two sequential international flights, it really behaves as if it were an international flight from the US, followed by a domestic flight within Schengen. Like any international-domestic sequence that I can think of, you have to clear passport control at that first port of entry before your domestic flight.

In other words, in an itinerary that is A (non-Schengen) --> B (Schengen) --> C (Schengen) you always have to clear Schengen passport control at B, regardless of whether B or C are in the same country.

(I specify "from a passport-control perspective" because the rules for where you clear customs and whether you have to re-clear security are not identical. I think CDG forces almost everyone coming in from a non-Schengen flight to re-clear security, but I'm not 100% sure on this.)