Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lyon-Saint Exupéry Airport-Security

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2016, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Lyon-Saint Exupéry Airport-Security

We have a 7:00am flight out of Terminal 2 Lufthansa to Frankfurt and the airport strongly advises to arrive 2 1/2-3 hours earlier. On Tripadvisor travelers are writing of long lines to get to security and line jumpers and missed flights. The airport is open 24 hours. If we arrive at 3:30-4:00am what time could we expect security to open or will we be camping out in a line for hours. We can't afford to miss this flight as it connects to our international flight back to San Francisco. Thank you
Old Mar 19, 2016, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by klgirl
We have a 7:00am flight out of Terminal 2 Lufthansa to Frankfurt and the airport strongly advises to arrive 2 1/2-3 hours earlier. On Tripadvisor travelers are writing of long lines to get to security and line jumpers and missed flights. The airport is open 24 hours. If we arrive at 3:30-4:00am what time could we expect security to open or will we be camping out in a line for hours. We can't afford to miss this flight as it connects to our international flight back to San Francisco. Thank you
I've heard many recent reports from friends that the lines are indeed ridiculous at LYS. I myself nearly missed a flight to London back in October, even having arrived 2 hours ahead. I would be walking through the doors of the airport no later than 4am for a 7am flight, personally. The airport will be fully functional at that hour, as there are many early flights.

Last edited by firecracker725; Mar 19, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I fly out of LYS very often and the only times lines are long are during holiday periods. Also if you have elite status you can bypass most lines depending on your airline. If you are LH or Star Alliance elite or flying in business class you can use the business class check in for LH and I think the elite security. I haven't flown LH this year but I think things haven't changed.

So check the dates of school holidays in France and Germany to see if it conflicts with your flight. If not, then there probably won't be any lines.

And one last bit of advice although it may be too late for you. What I do is book an evening flight the day before to FRA or MUC and stay at an airport hotel there. That way you can sleep in and have no worries about missing your long haul flight. You never know with weather, strikes, mechanical issues what can happen to your feeder flight.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies. Yes it's too late this trip to take your excellent advice on overnighting in Germany Stimpy but I shall surely remember it in the future. Unfortunately we don't have any elite status. The flight is on a Sunday June 19th and it looks like school is still in. There's a Euro Cup game in Lyon this night. Some of the posters were flying Easyjet from Terminal 3 if it makes a difference as we're in Terminal 2. Hopefully no strikes like today's
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The flight is on a Sunday June 19th and it looks like school is still in. There's a Euro Cup game in Lyon this night. Some of the posters were flying Easyjet from Terminal 3 if it makes a difference as we're in Terminal 2. Hopefully no strikes like today's
I'll be at that game! You'll have no worries. You can check in online a day before and check bags up til 40 minutes before the flight. So if the flight is at 7am you can get there at 6am. Just keep in mind the time it takes to get to the airport. Also there are hotels at the airport. A nice NH right across the street and a cheaper Ibis Budget which has a shuttle to the airport. That's where I stay if I have a 7am flight.

I suspect the French govt will lean heavily on any unions who have thoughts about striking during the Euros.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again Stimpy. I changed my last night in Lyon from intown to the Ibis Airport just last week.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks again Stimpy. I changed my last night in Lyon from intown to the Ibis Airport just last week.
I tried this Ibis Budget once because it was a third of the price of the NH which is a very nice hotel and super convenient. The Ibis is nice in just about every respect except the mattress is very hard. I like a soft mattress and did not sleep well. It's a tough decision if you are spending your own money and there is a huge difference in price.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

It will be the final night of a 26 day vacation and we will be up early. Ibis it is!
Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:38 pm

will be using Lyon St Exupery Airport as transfer point

first flight incoming from outside europe
second flight is intra-schengen

separate tickets
all airlines in Terminal 1
this will be a Sunday, in January month, non-holiday

is 2.5h enough?
Old Oct 3, 2022, 2:19 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by gnomey

separate tickets

is 2.5h enough?
I would say this is sufficient, as there are not many non-Schengen flights at LYS and thus I've found the PAF to be very quick at the non-parisien aeroports.

Of course, the usual disclaimer of separate tickets applies- if incoming flight is severely delayed or cancelled, you're on your own for the 2nd flight.
gnomey likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by gnomey

separate tickets

is 2.5h enough?
more than enough !
gnomey likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 4:00 am

Is there sterile non-Schengen to non-Schengen transit at LYS?
Old Aug 10, 2023, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
For a weekday 1430 departure LYS/CDG, I should be at the airport by 12:30? I have the lowest level of Flying Blue status.

Merci.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 10:55 am

Programs: FB Gold
I would say for a 14h30 flight, 13h00 would be fine.
Goldorak and dhammer53 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by mlin32
I would say for a 14h30 flight, 13h00 would be fine.
indeed, sufficient.
dhammer53 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.