Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Dear Flyertalk: I'm in Paris. What's off the beaten path?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dear Flyertalk: I'm in Paris. What's off the beaten path?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
One of my favorites is to go to the restaurant at the top of the Museum of the Arab World, along the river in the 5th, and have a drink on their outdoor terrace at at sunset/dusk. It's not quite free, but you shouldn't have to pay the museum admission price to just take the elevator to the restaurant and then you get a drink for your money.

You can pay to climb one of the towers at Notre Dame.....or pay to go up in the Eiffel Tower....both of which are on the beaten track and filled with tourists.
The building itself should be of interest to the OP , some pics here:
http://www.akdn.org/architecture/project.asp?id=959

As far as the panoramic view of Paris ( as listed by some posters) this might be of interest:

http://www.parisetmoi.net/album/vuhaut/index.htm
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
The Holiday Inn Notre Dame has a nice rooftop bar that's open in the summer. It's not summer yet, but with the hot weather maybe it's open now. Great views.
It's open until 11 each night-we were up there last week.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Galerie Documents, vintage poster shop, 53, rue de Seine. I never go to Paris without stopping in. Mireille (owner) and Dominique have a story to go with every poster. You can trust that everything is an original.

Cafe Charlot, 38, rue de Bretagne. Very good inexpensive food, great people watching, excellent creme brulee

Blé Sucré, 7, rue Antoine Vollon. Best Kougn Amman on earth (if you're not familiar, think carmelized butter and sugar between layers of puff pastry). Go early. They run out. If they do, you'll just have to settle for a croissant (also the best I've ever had, especially when they're still slightly warm).

Grand Gallery of Evolution at the Natural History Museum. Not really off the beaten path, but no one ever talks about it and it's magnificent. It's what Noah's ark must have looked like.

Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dodo
It may be less crowded in summer but if you like architecture, enough to please your eyes:

Cité Internationale universitaire de Paris
http://www.ciup.fr/category/accueil/decouvrir/

Another site for buildings:

http://www.petit-patrimoine.com/fich...id_pp=75116_37

and on the west side: http://www.ville-courbevoie.fr/cultu...-des-indes.htm
I mentioned Cite Universitaire earlier in my post #14 in this thread, but without a URL or link.

Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
Whoa! Very nice!
While I can appreciate nice architecture, it's never been a priority of mine, but I think I might have to change that to see those buildings!

Thanks.

I would say Montparnase (sp?) is a good place to get a good view, but I've been there, hence me wanting to see something different, plus free is more of a challenge! lol , not to mention leaves more money for croissants and really that's what it's all about. Priorities!
BTW it's Montparnasse, and very much on the beaten path.

The building itself should be of interest to the OP , some pics here:
http://www.akdn.org/architecture/project.asp?id=959

As far as the panoramic view of Paris ( as listed by some posters) this might be of interest:

http://www.parisetmoi.net/album/vuhaut/index.htm
I also mentioned the building above in post #14. In my later mention of it, I was commenting specifically on the view from the terrase and especially as an example of an almost free view of the city.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:24 am

The new Clichy-Batignolles area may be of interest. The work on the new 160m courthouse isn't very far along, but many of the new buildings are finished. At the center is the new Parc Martin Luther King, which has several interesting features. The overall plan is for sustainable development.

http://www.clichy-batignolles.fr/english
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by stut
See if that excellent Aveyronnais bistro on rue de Tocqueville is still there, and have a wander round the market on rue de Lévis while you're there.
Le Petit Chavignol has been sold in the past months but is still there.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: Many
Other suggestions :
- climb to Montmartre from cimetière Saint-Vincent through avenue Junot and stop play boules en route at square Suzanne Buisson
- wander in South Pigalle
- drink and eat at every bar of the northern part of rue Jean-Jacques Rousseau (Postiche comes to mind)
- try to find every hidden park from the long list of green areas of Paris (http://meslieux.paris.fr/parcs-et-jardins)
Old Jun 12, 2015, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bodory
Other suggestions :
- try to find every hidden park from the long list of green areas of Paris (http://meslieux.paris.fr/parcs-et-jardins)
Now, if every single "voie privée" was accessible, it would be interesting and edifying to see how some do live in Paris
(bon, je me tire de là)

btw: if you happen to know where I can get un bon gâteau Basque appétissant dans Paris, ce sera apprécié et merci d'avance
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Now, if every single "voie privée" was accessible, it would be interesting and edifying to see how some do live in Paris
Right. I was once at the US Ambassador's residence here in central Paris and I don't know if you would call it a huge backyard or a moderate sized park behind the house. But in any case it is off-limits to the public.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
(bon, je me tire de là)

btw: if you happen to know where I can get un bon gâteau Basque appétissant dans Paris, ce sera apprécié et merci d'avance
When do you want it for?

Right. I was once at the US Ambassador's residence here in central Paris and I don't know if you would call it a huge backyard or a moderate sized park behind the house. But in any case it is off-limits to the public.
The US embassy gardens are considered medium sized, I've been to some private gardens in Neuilly that are out of this world.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
When do you want it for?
No rush . May be on my next visit ( depending on our schedule) !!!
I do make it at home, at least once a year because it is the birthday cake of hubby, but I would like to try the one in Paris . Some years ago , I tried different ones during my stay in Biarritz : pastry stores and restaurants and learned how to perfect mine
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: AA: 2 MM

I have no idea whether it meets your specifications, but this place has certainly been around a while. Somebody must like it!
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
The US embassy gardens are considered medium sized, I've been to some private gardens in Neuilly that are out of this world.
Ye, but Neuilly isn't central Paris and I wasn't talking about the US Embassy. I wrote the Ambassador's residence on rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré. There aren't many huge backyards on the rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No rush . May be on my next visit ( depending on our schedule) !!!
I do make it at home, at least once a year because it is the birthday cake of hubby, but I would like to try the one in Paris . Some years ago , I tried different ones during my stay in Biarritz : pastry stores and restaurants and learned how to perfect mine
Biarritz is close to the Basque region, so it's not surprising to be able to easily find these cakes there.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Ye, but Neuilly isn't central Paris and I wasn't talking about the US Embassy. I wrote the Ambassador's residence on rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré. There aren't many huge backyards on the rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré.
I meant the Ambassador's residence. All the residences on that street have the same size gardens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.