CDG - which hotel is closest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDG - which hotel is closest?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Last three times I've used the Pullman CDG shuttle, I've had to wait on average 30 or more minutes after transporting myself to a shuttle pick-up area. I'd have done better and faster to take the CDGVAL to the Ibis or Hilton.

The Pullman -- even as an Accor Platinum -- is an unimpressive choice compared to the Hilton. I'm not sure why I would even ever choose the Pullman over the Ibis if the hotel is needed for not much more than just a short sleep and quick turn back to CDG at my convenience.

The hotel experiences are very different, but distance-related convenience can trump those differences when only in a room for 4-6 hours for nothing more than an abbreviated nightly sleep and a quick shower/bathroom use prior to continuing the journey.

The "tiny" distance difference between the hotels isn't necessarily so "tiny" when transporting 23-64kgs of baggage very late at night when it's raining or icy outside and using CDGVAL to get there or get from there. Finding and waiting for the hotel shuttle can be rather inconvenient relative to taking the CDGVAL -- more so when the traveler is not so familiar with the airport and hotels and it's late at night. After taking the CDGVAL at night, the Hilton CDG guests seem to more frequently need more help finding their way to the hotel than Ibis guests doing the same to get to their hotel.

Wet and/or cold Hilton guests schlepping luggage through the parking lot on the way to (or from) the Hilton is a sight I've seen too often. There are times where I'd take this Ibis again over the Hilton -- even as the Hilton works out as a more appreciable value for me on my longer overnight stays, more so when the weather is more comfortable than when it's not.

If using the CDGVAL, the Ibis does what the OP asked and it does it more so than the Hilton.
Seems we agree. People overburdened by luggage on a cold, icy night might find the Ibis attractive despite its lack of features. I'll think about them when we use the Hilton spa and pool on our next visit.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Seems we agree. People overburdened by luggage on a cold, icy night might find the Ibis attractive despite its lack of features. I'll think about them when we use the Hilton spa and pool on our next visit.
I've done the Hilton with lots of luggage and kids before. There is a covered walkway in case it's raining. And there are always, IME, luggage carts at both ends of the walk. I'm both Hilton Diamond and Accor Platinum so status isn't a determining factor. I would always choose the Hilton.

That said, if someone else is paying I choose the Sheraton.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stimpy
I've done the Hilton with lots of luggage and kids before. There is a covered walkway in case it's raining. And there are always, IME, luggage carts at both ends of the walk. I'm both Hilton Diamond and Accor Platinum so status isn't a determining factor. I would always choose the Hilton.

That said, if someone else is paying I choose the Sheraton.
There is a covered walkway for much of the walk from CDGVAL to the Hilton, but -- unsurprisingly -- not all people getting in there at night realize that -- thus the schlepping of luggage and strollers through the parking lot exposed to the elements.

IME going to/from the Hilton via CDGVAL, it seems that many who could use a luggage cart don't always realize luggage carts may be available if they just run around looking before heading to the hotel. That, or running around looking for a luggage cart after getting off the CDGVAL at night isn't the first thing that comes to mind when having the hands full and pulling or lifting a considerable amount of luggage. Leaving the Hilton, I've not always seen an available luggage cart near the Hilton; often enough, I've seen there be just a handful littered around.

The Hilton is a very good value, especially for Golds or Diamonds on sub-100EUR rates.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a covered walkway for much of the walk from CDGVAL to the Hilton, but -- unsurprisingly -- not all people getting in there at night realize that -- thus the schlepping of luggage and strollers through the parking lot exposed to the elements.
How could you possibly miss it? The walkway is right in front of you as you walk out of the station. And it's all lit up at night. And even if you choose to walk on the road, the covered walkway runs right beside you.

IMHO if you have a lot of luggage at an airport, you are always looking around for a cart. Its kind of hard to miss them if you are looking for them. Just like you would look for shelter in the rain.

And I think the Hilton is also a good deal on a corporate €125 rate.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:49 am
Suspended

How could you possibly miss it? The walkway is right in front of you as you walk out of the station. And it's all lit up at night. And even if you choose to walk on the road, the covered walkway runs right beside you.
Some people miss it. Why? Not sure, but I am sure some people go the wrong way to get there and don't see the covered walkway until the next morning, if even then figuring out it's a route to the station.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:36 am

IMHO if you have a lot of luggage at an airport, you are always looking around for a cart. Its kind of hard to miss them if you are looking for them. Just like you would look for shelter in the rain.

And I think the Hilton is also a good deal on a corporate €125 rate.
The logic that some peope miss it is the same logic that imagines people with too much luggage to walk another couple hundred feet will have somehow taken the CDG-VAL to get over there. Or maybe the RER from Paris.

It's pretty funny when you think about it.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:50 am
Suspended

The logic that some peope miss it is the same logic that imagines people with too much luggage to walk another couple hundred feet will have somehow taken the CDG-VAL to get over there. Or maybe the RER from Paris.

It's pretty funny when you think about it.
Reality can be pretty funny, but it's still reality.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
Hotwire often has the Sheraton at CDG available. I have stayed two times in the past 18 months and paid less than $100 a night.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by FlyForFun
Hotwire often has the Sheraton at CDG available. I have stayed two times in the past 18 months and paid less than $100 a night.
Be careful with blind purchases for hotels at CDG. A couple of years ago, Priceline had a 3* at CDG which was actually about 15 miles from the airport, and had no shuttle service.

I would imagine researching recent bids, and on Hotwire carefully comparing features would cut this risk down a lot.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Be careful with blind purchases for hotels at CDG. A couple of years ago, Priceline had a 3* at CDG which was actually about 15 miles from the airport, and had no shuttle service.

I would imagine researching recent bids, and on Hotwire carefully comparing features would cut this risk down a lot.
Sure.

Priceline has had that issue more than Hotwire, but even that can be worked around pretty easily for CDG.

Hotwire lists most airport zone hotels in such a way that transport options are readily determined in advance -- although for night arrivals after 10pm, there are places (not CDG) where issues may arise. Priceline airport zone hotels under NYOP booking attempts? That requires more research but is also manageable.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
Thanks - looks like I'll go for the Ibis.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm at the Hilton now, with a huge executive room upgrade and lounge access. And yes there were trolleys at both ends of the short walk. I guess if you have no status and want the cheapest, the Ibis might be ok. But if the price is the same, then go for the Hilton for a much better hotel experience, albeit with an extra 20-30 meters of walking.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:39 pm
Suspended

I'm at the Hilton now, with a huge executive room upgrade and lounge access. And yes there were trolleys at both ends of the short walk. I guess if you have no status and want the cheapest, the Ibis might be ok. But if the price is the same, then go for the Hilton for a much better hotel experience, albeit with an extra 20-30 meters of walking.
Only an extra 20-30 meters when walking from when you get off the CDGVAL to the check-in desks? Carried the pedometer to actually compare the actual distances for the Ibis and for the Hilton? I didn't realize you had ever gone into a room at that Ibis too?

The Ibis is usually cheaper than the Hilton, but the Hilton does come up on Priceline NYOP and Hotwire bookings, and they do grant Gold and Diamond benefits on those stays too. Would be well worth it indeed, at least if not too badly encumbered and the weather is cooperative enough to get to the covered walk without first going the wrong ways outside.

If I were the OP, I'd checkout Hotwire and then try to do better for a four star on Priceline NYOP.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 11, 2014 at 9:45 pm
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only an extra 20-30 meters when walking from when you get off the CDGVAL to the check-in desks? Carried the pedometer to actually compare the actual distances for the Ibis and for the Hilton? I didn't realize you had ever gone into a room at that Ibis too?
I actually possess eyeballs and the ability to estimate distances. And I've made the walk countless times including 3 times yesterday. The difference in distance is just about negligible unless you try to lug a ton of bags and choose to not use one of the available carts.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:46 am
Suspended

I actually possess eyeballs and the ability to estimate distances. And I've made the walk countless times including 3 times yesterday. The difference in distance is just about negligible unless you try to lug a ton of bags and choose to not use one of the available carts.
You walked to the Ibis check-in desk? If the carts are around, not needing to try to push two at once, and the weather is nice or you realize there is a covered walk-way and use it, then the difference in distance may be negligible -- it's not for everybody. And I'm not sure it's just a difference of less than 30 yards/meters when it comes to actual distance from getting off the CDGVAL and getting to the check-in desks. And once in the hotels, the distance to get from check-in desk to the room is probably a bit more at the Hilton than at the Ibis, with the Hilton being a bigger property than the Ibis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.