Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent Ouigo Experiences? Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2013, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Recent Ouigo Experiences? Good or Bad?

Am headed for south of France in September 2013. Have been reading the decidedly mixed reviews about the relatively new Ouigo TGV train service.

Is it convenient to catch a Ouigo TGV train directly from the CDG airport train terminal? Or, do I have to first transfer to the Marne-de-Vallee station to catch the Ouigo TGV? I've found this detail confusing. The Anglais Ouigo web site is confusing IMHO and I'm quite travel and train schedule literate.

Much of the disparagement I've read about Ouigo was theoretical and forward looking dread. Anyone who has actual real experience taking Ouigo TGV from Paris to Avignon's TGV station for instance?

The Ouigo prerequisite of a French cell number for the receipt of SMS messages seems daunting since it is difficult to obtain a valid French cell number before arriving in France. Easy to purchase SIM cards and activate them once in France but I have not been able to find a way to obtain a French cell number prior to my arrival in France.

My wife and I are enthusiastic users of Europe's rail transportation systems. But, is Ouigo reasonable for English speaking tourists to utilize (my French is pidgin quality and gets me fed and to the toilettes)?

Is it reasonable to carry a roll on piece of luggage onto a Ouigo TGV train? Or, will it get pinched by opportunistic pickpockets/thieves/Romas/gypsies while enroute?

After re-reading my post above, I think I am resigned to just using the regular TGV service from CDG on to one of the south France TGV stations.
Old May 29, 2013, 5:32 am
Suspended

You can read more about the service here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouigo

Obviously, you can connect with it better if you fly to Lyon. But, it seems to be a cut-rate service to compete better with low-cost air companies. So, for a lower cost, you get less service. For students and, perhaps, some local people, it may be appealing, but I wonder if the price difference from the normal TGV is worth the minor inconveniences you'll experience.

I tend to agree with your last sentence, but I wouldn't use the word "resigned".

Hope you have a nice holiday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.