Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attention... Gypsies.

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by heraclitus

I don't like the sounds of this at all.

I don't consider myself an adventure traveller who goes to global danger zones like Somalia, Afghanistan, etc., but I have been to places where I've had to contend with hucksters, pickpockets, con artists, touts and the like. I've generally travelled alone or with one other person max. so I have normally felt prepared to handle these things.

However, my upcoming trip to France will be with my wife and a baby and I am going to feel somewhat vulnerable as a result. I mean, do I have to keep junior strapped into the stroller at all times to guard against a snatching attempt? This is disconcerting... I feel like it will be a stressful trip as a result.

Just how bad is it in the Louvre? I'd hate to have to skip it, but I will if I must.
You should feel very comfortable.. They will never snatch your kid. They aren't into human trafficking. They might try some pickpocketing, they will try to distract you while someone takes your wallet, that is what they really want. Just be careful and shoo them away. Don't sign any petitions or stop for the ones who will try to give you a ring. And now the Louvre and many other tourist area there are lots of undercover police who look for them. So no worries, just be vigilant.

Originally Posted by MareLuce
Good to know. Why is that? Where do they go?
I have no idea where they go. But come Sept/Oct until Xmas they aren't in the city.
Old May 23, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
You should feel very comfortable.. They will never snatch your kid. They aren't into human trafficking. They might try some pickpocketing, they will try to distract you while someone takes your wallet, that is what they really want. Just be careful and shoo them away. Don't sign any petitions or stop for the ones who will try to give you a ring. And now the Louvre and many other tourist area there are lots of undercover police who look for them. So no worries, just be vigilant.
That is reassuring... thank you. It's good to know that the French authorities are taking this problem seriously.

I realize that there are people with hard lives and if someone snatches my wallet as a result it is not the worst thing in the world (however inconvenient it may be). But stories of people being intimidated and shaken down inside the Louvre are disconcerting to say the least... hopefully that problem can be reined in.
Old May 24, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
This entire thread is ridiculous. It's a combination of fear-mongering and bigotry. Take proper precautions and Paris is no different from other big cities. If really nervous, wear a money belt!

http://blog.alacarte-paris-apartment...y-enjoy-paris/

As far as "living in packs" (sounds like wild dogs) this is only true for a small minority. (Talk about bigotry rearing its ugly head. Right here, right on FT) Most are law abiding, and you missed by a couple of days their wonderful annual festival in the Camargue. Go next year. Learn something. Don't generalize about people of other origins.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/201...tival-camargue

As Mark Twain said so succinctly:

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Last edited by menton1; May 24, 2013 at 9:44 pm
Old May 27, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I feel the need to defend myself here. I am not particualrly concerned about who is engaging in thievery. I would not like it any more if it were white guys who were mainly responsible for this sort of thing and frankly, I'm sure there are plenty of white-guy thieves in Paris.

I do not want to condemn or cast aspersions on any group; I just don't want my wallet, passport and camera nicked. Is this unreasonable?
Old May 27, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by MareLuce
Good to know. Why is that? Where do they go?
They head out to CDG where they change into their shorts and board the first British Airlines flight with F availability to somewhere warm.

Isn't that right Yahillwe?
Old May 27, 2013, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
They head out to CDG where they change into their shorts and board the first British Airlines flight with F availability to somewhere warm.

Isn't that right Yahillwe?
No comment hon... no comment at all... even from someone who lives next the tower... and some other from here can attest to where I live...

From someone who has never ever worn short.. But has worn hot pants.. that goes back to the 70's and 80's.
Old May 29, 2013, 5:52 pm

I feel the need to defend myself here. I am not particualrly concerned about who is engaging in thievery. I would not like it any more if it were white guys who were mainly responsible for this sort of thing and frankly, I'm sure there are plenty of white-guy thieves in Paris.

I do not want to condemn or cast aspersions on any group; I just don't want my wallet, passport and camera nicked. Is this unreasonable?
Yes, this entire story is blown waaay out of proportion, partly because of the Louvre workers' demonstration, and partly out of fear mongering.

This pickpocketing goes on all over big cities of Europe, it hasn't increased at all. It's just there, and something to be aware of, something in all the guide books for the last 40 years.

AS I said, take normal precautions around the tourist sites, and wear a money belt for the ultimate protection. This is nothing new nor noteworthy!
Old Jul 18, 2013, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here is an article about what I said... OK is it the DM, but still I have seen them in action, buyer be aware.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...eading-UK.html

Since the weather has been nice I've been sitting at the Champs, and observing. There are more police presence AND i have noticed a lot of people sitting and advising tourist (who are lounging on the grass etc) not to fall victims in ENGLISH, as in fully english undercover.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:35 am

Le Tour coming Sunday to the Champs... get there early!
Old Jul 20, 2013, 1:48 am

I just don't want my wallet, passport and camera nicked. Is this unreasonable?
What about leaving your passportand all of what's in your wallet apart from one credit/debit card except for some cash in your hotel either in your room safe or in the hotel's safe?

You could always spread your cash between you and your wife and even in the stroller (ie behind where your child is sitting) or wear a money belt.

Just pack your common sense, and be as vigilant as you would be at home! I understand your concerns especially as you have your wife and child with you, but think that you have probably been sucked into the journalist's 'shock horror' style of reporting. Come and enjoy Paris. I'm sure it will pass without incident. Bonnes vacances!
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:39 am

; I just don't want my wallet, passport and camera nicked. Is this unreasonable?
Money belt is the solution.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by menton1
Money belt is the solution.
I have yet to see a money belt that will fit a full size camera in it, comfortably.

I've been to lots of places that have theft like this. While it's usually avoidable, I have had attempted pick pocketing happen a few times. It's no fun. Mostly I just choose not to go to such places.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:14 pm

I have yet to see a money belt that will fit a full size camera in it, comfortably.

I've been to lots of places that have theft like this. While it's usually avoidable, I have had attempted pick pocketing happen a few times. It's no fun.
Of course it's 'no fun' but I still think that you are encouraging unnecessary paranoia. Hold onto your camera tightly, wear it round your neck but under your t shirt perhaps, but really there is no need to 'talk up' the fear. (And we don't know the size of the camera either.)
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The camera isn't what they want, the wallet and at times your cell phone is what they want.

Another thing not to do, is lay out your cell phone on a table at a touristy area cafe.

And no it isn't fun at all... this is why I started this thread after seeing the throngs of "pickpockets" more than normal numbers. Just a warning not to fall for their tricks.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

I've been to lots of places that have theft like this. While it's usually avoidable, I have had attempted pick pocketing happen a few times. It's no fun. Mostly I just choose not to go to such places.
Put the wrist strap on the camera and make a good knot on your wrist.

Look, if you are going to obsess about this, just don't travel! Otherwise, take a deep breath, and enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.