Search

To gazole or not to gazole?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
To gazole or not to gazole?

Will be doing a long-ish road trip through France later this year. NCE/MRS area via TLS/BIQ to NTE and returning at BOD. Europcar is quoting ~$90 more for a econ diesel (e.g., 4Dr VW Polo) than for a 2Dr mini (e.g., Fiat 500) or $60 for a 4Dr essence econ (Peugeot 207).

As for fuel consumption comparison, did a 6 week road trip last winter from NTE-DNR-BES-BOD-TLS-PGF-NCE (no record of mileage but it was lots) that used EUR 518 of gazole in a Fiat Gran Punto.

Wondering what the break-even calculation is for renting a diesel? I think the discount to essence is some 10-15% these days vs. some 30% 16 years ago?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:06 am
iff

Here's a map of the different gas prices, if that would be of any help to you:
http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/
Old Mar 22, 2013, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

we are renting from autoeurope/hertz next week in sicily. they have a gps deal. $40 for a 2013 gps. send it back when finished. $20 for a 2011 gps loaded with us and europe maps. you keep the gps.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For such an itinerary, I would rule out a mini: OK for town and proximity driving but I think you will appreciate having at least an eco for longer distance.

You also need to factor in that diesel models tend to have a higher mpg than their petrol counterparts. If the difference is only $30 between a petrol eco and a diesel eco, i would have thought that you would easily make up the difference on that kind of an itinerary (assuming that $30 is the difference for the whole of the rental).
Old Mar 22, 2013, 4:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by slawecki
we are renting from autoeurope/hertz next week in sicily. they have a gps deal. $40 for a 2013 gps. send it back when finished. $20 for a 2011 gps loaded with us and europe maps. you keep the gps.
What does GPS have to do with the OP's question about whether to rent a diesel or petrol car?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickB
For such an itinerary, I would rule out a mini: OK for town and proximity driving but I think you will appreciate having at least an eco for longer distance.
We're leaning towards the 4Dr econ as the Fiat 500 doesn't have much space to stash bags out of sight. The 500 uses the same platform (and has the same dimensions) as a Fiat Panda which we've found to be adequate.

[/quote]
You also need to factor in that diesel models tend to have a higher mpg than their petrol counterparts. If the difference is only $30 between a petrol eco and a diesel eco, i would have thought that you would easily make up the difference on that kind of an itinerary (assuming that $30 is the difference for the whole of the rental).[/QUOTE]

I know diesel has an approximate 11% energy density advantage over petrol/gasoline so one should factor in the 15% price advantage and add 10-11% fuel density advantage over that, so in my original example, that €516 fuel bill would have been 27% more if I had gone for essence? Looks like diesel is the way to go. Now to make sure I book at a non-airport/non-rail station pickup location (fees for those are exorbitant).
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iff
Here's a map of the different gas prices, if that would be of any help to you:
http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/
Thanks. Good link to bookmark.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
This is a no brainer. Gasoil, YES! It's cheaper to buy, and the kpg is the same or higher. No issue.

I've found that many rental cos. will not guarantee a gasoil car. The ones I've rented have always been serendipitous pot luck.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by menton1
I've found that many rental cos. will not guarantee a gasoil car. The ones I've rented have always been serendipitous pot luck.
That's the issue. Europcar doesn't guraantee one even if you book, so it's money down the drain if you get a petrol car. I'd take a gazole if I could get one but do I want to pay extra for one and not get it?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
That's the issue. Europcar doesn't guraantee one even if you book, so it's money down the drain if you get a petrol car. I'd take a gazole if I could get one but do I want to pay extra for one and not get it?
No need to pay extra; book the cheapest one, and schmooze up the rental agent-- many times that works, especially if you try speaking in french!

I've found that usually the lower class rentals have more gasoil cars-

I've also never paid a higher rate for a gasoil car. They just give it to me as an available car.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
If you do decide "to gazole," take along some food service gloves. The dispensers at the gas stations are often out and you *do* want to use them. It's worse than gasoline, much worse, if you get it on your hands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.