need some itinerary help- Paris and Provence

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex

have an unexpected 4 days following biz in UK. haven't visited Paris in a few years, and was in Provence for the first time last Spring.

We will be leaving UK on the 20th, have to fly out from lhr at 5pm on the 25th.

Would like a day or so in Paris, maybe Versailles. My husband has never been there, other than on a long layover and a quick drive to Versailles.

We would love to spend more time in Provence.

we are big fans of farmers markets, local foods and sitting on a plaza with a cae au lait. Love all artisan foods and supplies and cooking utensil and ingredient shopping.

Not big on typical sightseeing, museums, fancy expensive restaurants. want to travel casually but great quality.

Thoughts?
Eurostar to Paris and rent a car? trains (rarely use rail travel, so would need guidance). Fly? Fly and drive?

hotels? routes? restaurants? markets?

thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
With your time, I'd do one or the other. Eurostar to Paris or fly to Provence (or could TGV to Avignon). The big cities tend to have daily markets while smaller towns have them weekly.

Depending on your flight class of service and ticket flexibility, you might want to reroute your ticket to fly back from France (lower departure taxes).
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
thanks. flying a special biz fare on dl, so no changes

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
With your time, I'd do one or the other. Eurostar to Paris or fly to Provence (or could TGV to Avignon). The big cities tend to have daily markets while smaller towns have them weekly.

Depending on your flight class of service and ticket flexibility, you might want to reroute your ticket to fly back from France (lower departure taxes).
got a great rate at trianon (under $300 with b/f)
for one night.

have to figure out rest...
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
Ir's a very long drive to Provence from Paris, much more efficient to take the TGV to Avignon and get a car there.

Not big on typical sightseeing
Skip Versailles then. Big and empty. Much more interesting, for my taste, is either Vaux le Vicomte or Fontainebleau.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by menton1
Skip Versailles then. Big and empty. Much more interesting, for my taste, is either Vaux le Vicomte or Fontainebleau.
I'd echo the recommendation to visit Vaux le Vicomte as it's celebrating the 400th anniversary of Andr Le Ntre and the restoration work that has been underway for years on the beautiful chateau dome is done, at least according to this online article.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
This is perfect for one night in Versailles.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...de_France.html

Rent a car in Paris; stay overnight in Versailles and then go to Provence.
See this place:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Provence.html

and try this restaurant; nothing over the top but great food

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran..._Provence.html
Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: Delta 3MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Just another thought for your contemplation...actually enjoyed Arles quite a bit more than Avignon. Much smaller, and no traffic in the old city center.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by JoelA
Just another thought for your contemplation...actually enjoyed Arles quite a bit more than Avignon. Much smaller, and no traffic in the old city center.
Very different cities...Arles is a bit smaller. Avignon is more in the Countryside, in the middle of the low mountains (Luberon) and lots of scenic Provencal villages. Arles is on the edge of the Camargue (swampy area) and is a little drier and dustier. Avignon has the Palais des Papes, where the Popes evacuated to from Rome for about 100 years.

Both very nice places to visit...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.