Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking to take trip to Nice to Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2012, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Looking to take trip to Nice to Barcelona

Has anyone taken a trip from Barc to Nice or Visa Versa by car, meandering through different towns? Would appreciate help on putting together an itinerary. Thanks
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:03 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Originally Posted by DRDebr61
Has anyone taken a trip from Barc to Nice or Visa Versa by car, meandering through different towns? Would appreciate help on putting together an itinerary. Thanks
I would probably help if you indicate what time of the year you plan to travel and what are youre interests. You can either go along the coast and see beaches or take the freeway and get out at the "big" cities like Perpignan, Montpellier, Nimes, Marseille, ... or you go slightly more inwards and you find mountains and river valleys. There are definitively many places worth a visit between Barcelona and Nice.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

we have done the Marseille to nice part. get a michelin green guide, a red guide, and whatever the best books are for little towns along the way. stay at B&B's, see the sites, stay out of the big towns. save them for when you get old(we are old, and now only do the big cities). we spent about two weeks for 20 years exploring france. we did everything except the big cities, and south west and alps. did all in winter months. great experiences.

this year we have been to bcn, and are going to lyon next month. both for the first time.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

We plan to spend 8 nites total. I will have some SPG points to burn and was thinking of getting PC Card. That's being said, I am also happy to consider BB's. would like a mix of small towns but also definelty want to spend time in BCN and Nice (not sure how much to do in Nice). Really do not know much about the region so hard to know which towns to visit. Interested in art, architecture, beaches etc... Many people have mentioned Stiges as a nice place to visit. Want to drive through beautiful coastline towns and explore a bit.
Also trying to figure our car thing. Seems that most people say intercountry thing is expensive. Happy to consider part car part public transport.
Question also is whether to have a couple of home bases and take day trips or move almost nightly.
Thank you anyone who has advise.
Deb
Old Sep 30, 2012, 1:18 pm
AAL

Personally, I like to sleep in the same spot for 2 or 3 nights. So if you have decided on BCN and Nice, I'd choose a third location somewhere in- between. I'd recommend looking at a guidebook on the South of France or Provence, and then deciding on what appeals. Do you want to see the Pont du Gard, or Luberon perched villages, or stay close to the coast? There are so many beautiful places, it is difficult to choose!

The car drop-off in another country can be expensive, but compare it to the cost of train tickets from BCN to Perpignan or your first destination in France, and decide if it's worth the cost. You don't want a car while you are staying in BCN.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Okay, guide book will be next step.
What about Marseilles? Would that be a good in between spot. Fairly nice looking IC hotel there.
Thanks
Old Sep 30, 2012, 3:44 pm
AAL

If you are looking for PC hotels, you might also consider Nimes. The Pont du Gard, which is fairly close, is amazing.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Priority Club?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 6:13 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Originally Posted by DRDebr61
Okay, guide book will be next step.
What about Marseilles? Would that be a good in between spot. Fairly nice looking IC hotel there.
Thanks
If you have a car and less you want to visit Marseille, I would not base myself in such a big city to explore different places. You'll loose a lot of time getting in and out of the city. To visit Provence for example, I'd rather stay in Arles or maybe Nimes. However, if you are outside the main holiday season, you should not have problems finding hotels and I'd rather travel and visit during the day going towards my final destination and wherever I'll be late afternoon, I'd look for a hotel. You are in a major tourist area with many accomodations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.