VAT Refund queue at CDG?

Old Sep 6, 12, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
VAT Refund queue at CDG?

Hi all,

When we last flew out of CDG in 2010, the queue for VAT refund was very long and there were only 2 employees. It was logistically too difficult to wait in line to get our VAT forms stamped, and to make our flight on time, so we gave up. We haven't had similar delays out of LHR and FRA. Our flight departed around 10am.

How is it this year? Having an idea ahead of time will help us determine if we bring our passport for shopping and fill out paperwork or just shop and ignore the VAT refund. Our flight this year will depart at 1pm.

Thanks
Michael
Old Sep 6, 12, 10:54 am

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
RE:Detax

I usually get there earlier. UA opens check-in at Terminal 1 at 9:00. There are no forms. You hand the detax agents(the windows are close to Porte 16)
behind the UA counters) a passport, a printed ticket of some sort, and the envelops with the detax forms. If I can get in the detax line before 9, I've always made it through.
Old Sep 6, 12, 8:27 pm
AAL

Programs: AS MVPG
My wait to get my form stamped at CDG was not long at all. I opted for the credit card refund, to avoid standing in a separate line for a cash refund; my refund showed up on my credit card statement about 6 weeks later.
Old Sep 9, 12, 9:03 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by willie--wonka View Post
I usually get there earlier. UA opens check-in at Terminal 1 at 9:00. There are no forms. You hand the detax agents(the windows are close to Porte 16)
behind the UA counters) a passport, a printed ticket of some sort, and the envelops with the detax forms. If I can get in the detax line before 9, I've always made it through.
At 2E, it is close to passport check, in a specific lounge area that used to be Salon Indigo
Old Sep 10, 12, 6:59 pm

Programs: MH(Gold) QF CX(Diamond)
I was there a few weeks back. The customs queue was quite long but it moved reasonably quickly. The nightmare was trying to get your money back in euros. The queue hardly moved and after 1 hour I gave up and filled out the forms for a credit card refund. The non-euro currency was much quicker.
Old Nov 26, 12, 8:57 pm

Sorry in advance for any stupid questions... for the credit card refund, is it posted back in euro or dollars? Trying to determine which is the better option, considering the foreign transaction fee. I heard that cash refunds take a larger cut of the refund, does anyone know the percentage?

Also, i know the vat in France is about 19.6% but obviously not going to get back that whole amount, what is the vat refund percentage more like? 10%? and is there a limit to how much we can get back? I heard conflicting stories about how we are limited to one handbag per person, etc.
Old Nov 27, 12, 2:50 am

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
RE:TVA

Many stores credit back the entire amount. Some charge something like a 5 euro processing fee. If you used a credit card and paid the currency transaction %, you will receive the same % back on the refund amount.
Old May 18, 15, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA&Mariott Plat Prem.
Can someone clarify on the 1 handbag per person rule if it's valid?

I will be leaving CDG and departing europe from FRA.

Would I expect a long wait at CDG for a simple stamp?
Old May 19, 15, 1:52 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by TennisNoob View Post
Can someone clarify on the 1 handbag per person rule if it's valid?
European air carriers are very strict about on board luggage. One bag is fine but it cannot exceed about 20 in length.

Originally Posted by TennisNoob View Post
I will be leaving CDG and departing europe from FRA. Would I expect a long wait at CDG for a simple stamp?
If you asking about a departure stamp in your passport and are first traveling from CDG to FRA, your passport will be stamped departing FRA which is, in my experience, a much more efficiently operated airport than is CDG.
Old May 19, 15, 2:04 am

Programs: UA&Mariott Plat Prem.
Originally Posted by Tamino View Post
European air carriers are very strict about on board luggage. One bag is fine but it cannot exceed about 20 in length.

Sorry I mis-understand the 1 hand bag rule thinking it was 1 export rebate (1 hand bag) per PAX

Flying J, won't have this issue.

If you asking about a departure stamp in your passport and are first traveling from CDG to FRA, your passport will be stamped departing FRA which is, in my experience, a much more efficiently operated airport than is CDG.
Referring to the stamp of the VAT refund. Is the line at CDG long to stamp the goods? Austria was 0 wait for me. Took the global blue @ FRA with only 2 minutes wait time.
Old May 19, 15, 3:25 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Sorry about the confusion. I do not purchase items to take out of the EU but I understand that there is a new system that has streamlined the entire process.

You should ask the merchant from whom you purchase goods. They will know if the paperwork they issue requires a stamp (few now do), or if they use Global Blue or Premier Tax Free services which is scan process I believe.

Either way, VAT refunds will be handled in FRA, not CDG.

Search this Thread