Wiki Posts
Search

French Alps in August

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
French Alps in August

We're a family of 4 with 2 kids aged 7 and 2. We're flying into CDG mid-August, arriving Monday morning, and leaving the following Sunday morning - essentially, 6 days.

We spent a week in Paris in February, and liked it. We'd like to see a different part of France and aren't too interested in the Riviera.

I'm thinking we could take a train to a mountain resort town to spend the week hiking, biking, riding trams up mountains, lake swimming, etc. It's my intention to rent a condo using AirBnB, but I have no familiarity with any of the mountain towns.

It's important to me that we're in a town large enough for restaurants, markets, bakeries, light shopping, etc., but not so large as to be a city. Walkability is important, as is easy travel from CDG.

If anyone has suggestions, I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 6, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I loved Chamonix. Why have a regular Alp when you can have Mont Blanc?
Old May 6, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Do you need to be in a town? How about in a Chalet where they'll cook you dinner, make you breakfast, make you a packed lunch to take out, and help you rent bikes / find a walking guide / drive you to lakes / etc?

While many ski chalets close come the end of the season, there are still some that remain open for summer alpine pursuits. That'll include hiking, swimming, cycling, mountain bikes, canyoning, kayaking etc. They'll also handle all your food and drink. Prices can be very reasonable!
Old May 7, 2015, 2:56 am

Programs: Many
I can personally recommend Meribel : tons of activities for families, not too crowded and charming atmosphere.
Old May 7, 2015, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by work2fly
It's important to me that we're in a town large enough for restaurants, markets, bakeries, light shopping, etc., but not so large as to be a city. Walkability is important, as is easy travel from CDG.
I might choose Annecy as it meets all those requirements. You don't have to go into Paris at all. Take the TGV from CDG direct to Lyon and change to a local train from there to Annecy. Me I would prefer to rent a car so I could go out an explore around the area, take the tele-cabin up the mountain, etc. But there might be local transport options if you don't want to drive yourself. I'm sure there must be lots of Airbnb options for Annecy.
Old May 7, 2015, 7:53 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by bodory
I can personally recommend Meribel : tons of activities for families, not too crowded and charming atmosphere.
I also like very much Courchevel in the summer time, without the crowd that, with a single purchase, can make up the revenue for the entire season. As with Meribel, there is a lot of shops, restaurants, as well as the amazing Vanoise countryside.
Old May 7, 2015, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll look into each one and post back with any questions.

Originally Posted by stimpy
I might choose Annecy as it meets all those requirements. You don't have to go into Paris at all. Take the TGV from CDG direct to Lyon and change to a local train from there to Annecy. Me I would prefer to rent a car so I could go out an explore around the area, take the tele-cabin up the mountain, etc. But there might be local transport options if you don't want to drive yourself. I'm sure there must be lots of Airbnb options for Annecy.
I believe Annecy is where the 'city' scenes in Les Revenants was filmed? I bet I won't be the only fan to stop into the Lake Pub for a '1664'

Last edited by work2fly; May 7, 2015 at 9:38 am
Old May 7, 2015, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by JOUY31
I also like very much Courchevel in the summer time, without the crowd that, with a single purchase, can make up the revenue for the entire season. As with Meribel, there is a lot of shops, restaurants, as well as the amazing Vanoise countryside.
My two cents on a place I also know well : these past years, Courchevel experience in the summer is IMO a bit ruined by all the cranes and construction works, would it be new lifts, new 5-star hotels or new facilities.

Come to mind recently the huge excavations on the Pralong mountain to install the new building for Services Techniques near the altiport or the spa center at Plateau des Grandes Combes.

Even the Lac de la Rosière has been polished : visitors can now walk on a footbridge above the water, which IMO brings no additional value to a lovely place.

Too often in my recent visits during the summer I found the place to be too artificial to bring out an authentic atmosphere.

Of course some magical spots in the area remain hopefully untouched : Dent du Villard, Vallon des Avals, Forêt du Laiton, montagne de la Petite Val, lacs Merlet etc...

Also, on a side note, the alpine road between Courchevel and Méribel is closed during the summer for works (same as last year, to be continued in 2016) between La Tania and Le Plantin. That is very inconvenient if one wants to commute between the two resorts as the alternative route goes through Brides les Bains.
Old May 7, 2015, 9:44 am

OP should be aware though that Annecy despite being beautiful, full of activities and surrounded by the most fantastic lake in the French Alps, it remains a city and definitely not as quiet as altitude resort can be in the summer.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP should be aware though that Annecy despite being beautiful, full of activities and surrounded by the most fantastic lake in the French Alps, it remains a city and definitely not as quiet as altitude resort can be in the summer.
That's true it isn't a small town by any means. But its a tradeoff. At an altitude resort you are eating the resorts food, drinking the resorts wine, etc. In a place like Annecy there is no shortage of good restaurants, bakeries, bars, etc. And its fun to walk around the center day or night. That ambiance cannot be found at a resort.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:38 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
But there are some picture-postcard-quality settings behind Annecy, like Leschaux.
Old May 15, 2015, 10:55 am
Original Poster

As a follow up, we're definitely interested in visiting Annecy and at least one of the resort towns. However, train travel to Annecy seems to be 5 hours or more from CDG, which may not be a good idea with 2 kids right after a redeye from the US. Also, it appears Annecy can be quite crowded during August, and I'm not sure that's where we want to be based for our entire stay.

I believe Lyon is only 2 or so hours from CDG by train, and would be a reasonable drive to Annecy and the resorts, so perhaps we book an apartment there, and rent a car so that we may take day trips to Annecy and the resort towns at our leisure. Would this be a practical approach, and if so, could someone recommend a neighborhood that would be good for a family (not overly touristy, close proximity to parks, nightlife not important )

Grenoble also seems like it could be a good base for us - but maybe it's not as interesting as Lyon would be?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like a better plan. You can taxi to your apartment and then pick up a car later on. There's lots to do in Lyon. The Tête D'or area might be good for kids. There's a park with a zoo, etc. Plus it's a bit west of the center which will be better for traffic, parking and driving towards the mountains.

I recommend http://www.lepal.com/ for the kids.

But Grenoble is also nice. Smaller than Lyon, but there's stuff to do.
Old May 15, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Sounds like a better plan. You can taxi to your apartment and then pick up a car later on. There's lots to do in Lyon. The Tête D'or area might be good for kids. There's a park with a zoo, etc. Plus it's a bit west of the center which will be better for traffic, parking and driving towards the mountains.

I recommend http://www.lepal.com/ for the kids.

But Grenoble is also nice. Smaller than Lyon, but there's stuff to do.
I stay in Grenoble because I have to, not because I want to. I'm beginning to get used to the place, but it's not on my list of favorite cities. I stay there because it's a good base for the Alps stages of the Tour de France.

Of course, from Genoble, there's an awful lot that's just a short drive or train trip away.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
I would not choose Lyon as my base to visit Annecy and Alpine resorts. In August traffic to/from Lyon can be very heavy also towards Grenoble. If you don't find anything suitable in Annecy I'd rather prefer Chambery or up towards Geneva. As mountain village I'd consider Megeve, much nicer than Chamonix and with many (expensive) restaurants serving good food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.