Search

Aix-en-Provence by auto?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2011, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver
Anyone have a recommendation for lodgings in the Côte Chalonnaise area?
Are you looking for high end? You would probably want to pop up to Chagny and Lameloise for that. It also has one of the finest restaurants in Burgundy. It's R&S so if you are in Club 5C you get benefits.

Or in Mercurey you have the Val d'Or. If you want to be in a big town, stay at one of the many hotels in Chalon Sur Saone. It's a great place to visit and it has many excellent restaurants. It's a good place to base yourself for visits to all the local wineries.

There are plenty of others hidden away in the woods. One more to look into would be in Dracy. http://www.ledracy.com/
Old Apr 10, 2011, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
Originally Posted by stimpy
There are plenty of others hidden away in the woods. One more to look into would be in Dracy. http://www.ledracy.com/
That was the winner - we have a reservation at Hôtel Le Dracy.

Thanks!

joe
Old Apr 11, 2011, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That was the winner - we have a reservation at Hôtel Le Dracy.
I haven't stayed at this hotel, but I did have a very nice dinner there last fall. Make sure you make dinner reservations. It can often be full up.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Thanks for the suggestions!

http://ideamerge.com/leasing/overview.html

The lease I got was within a couple hundred dollars of the rental price for the same period, for a much nicer brand new car with full insurance (no deductible). I've got it for 30 days, if it had been longer, it would have been an even better deal. The daily incremental rate (after the minimum period) is $30 for a "Megane turbo diesel (dCi) 1.5 150 hp a/c 5-door, automatic with CD player & GPS". Pickup/Drop at selected cities in France is free. The dropoff at Rome is an additional $300.

joe
Thanks for the link. I'd look into that on my next trip.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

We're a week into our trip (will be a little over 7 weeks total). Paris was great, we picked up the lease car on friday, and left Paris saturday morning.

Hotel Le Dracy in Dracy-Le-Fort is very nice (except for the hard beds). We've spent a couple days just driving around the area, mostly on the wine touring roads. Great place to just poke around and look at the villages etc.

Question about license plates - or maybe registration plaques they're called here? Most I see are dark letters/numbers on Yellow or White. What's the difference in the colors? Ours are white on Red. Does that mean temporary plate?

Thanks!

joe
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:01 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
EU format plates have the yellow or white background. Your plates are temporary ones, and are actually silver on red.

Enjoy driving around Provence, and be sure to visit Tavel (cute village that makes the fine Tavel wine, near Avignon). Take the old highway Avignon to Aix, not the autoroute.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The switch, in France, from yellow to white background happened only a couple years ago. So that is why you see both.

And yes I too recommend Tavel. It, along with Bandol, has some of the best Rose wines in the world.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: All of the above
In Aix (if you are still going there) I highly recommend Villa Gallici. It's a R&C and a short walk to the center of Aix as well as to Les Clos de la Violette (fabulous dining) We drove from Aix through the "grand Canyon" du Verdon as we wanted to stay in Moustiers Ste. Marie at Alaine Ducasse's. Our only regret was the fact that we didn't have more time there. We ended that trip in Cannes and Eze. Stayed at the Carlton, and Chateau Chevre d'Or respectively. One day trip we enjoyed while in Aix was to Cassis and took a boat out to the Calanques. Ours was a three week trip . One week in Paris,TGV to Avignon(recommend La Mirande). We picked up our car there and spent 2 weeks on the road
Old May 18, 2011, 8:12 am

Thanks for the car leasing idea, before the kids, we used to take the TGV to Aix and rent a car right there but could not go into Italy for the reasons you mentioned.
lazy trips all the way to the italy but not over.
Old May 18, 2011, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by obiwan
Thanks for the car leasing idea, before the kids, we used to take the TGV to Aix and rent a car right there but could not go into Italy for the reasons you mentioned.
lazy trips all the way to the italy but not over.
Thanks. We've had the lease car almost a month now, it's been great. Have to return it on saturday at FCO - didn't want it for the last week in Rome.

joe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.