Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Mobile Prepaid SIM

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Virgin Mobile Prepaid SIM

Has anyone ever bought a prepaid virgin mobile SIM for while travelling in Paris?
How is the service?
What are the prices?
Where can I buy a SIM?
Have there ever been any issues with putting into an unlocked VZ phone from the States?
Do they have prepaid phone & data combo SIMs if I wanted to bring a BB with me?

Thanks for the help.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 4:03 am

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
Let me Google that for you.

As to some of your other questions, Verizon uses CDMA technology, an older technology that Europe has abandoned, so that's not an option.

The non-contract monthly plans are detailed at FORFAITS LIBERTY PLUS ET LIBERTY SIM. You can get 5 hr talk time, unlimited SMS, and unlimited Internet for 29.90/month, and can buy a phone for as little as 1.00.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by imagineertobe
Let me Google that for you.

As to some of your other questions, Verizon uses CDMA technology, an older technology that Europe has abandoned, so that's not an option.

The non-contract monthly plans are detailed at FORFAITS LIBERTY PLUS ET LIBERTY SIM. You can get 5 hr talk time, unlimited SMS, and unlimited Internet for 29.90/month, and can buy a phone for as little as 1.00.
Thanks. I was on the French site but since I don't speak French it wasn't so helpful. As to VZ's technology, I have a world phone which has both GSM and CDMA capability.

Can I just walk into any Virgin store and pickup a phone and a 5 hr plan when I arrive in Paris?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
Cool about your phone. As long as it's unlocked and accepts a SIM card, I wouldn't foresee any problems with it working.

There aren't Virgin Mobile stores in France so you'll have to head to a supermarket or, better yet, The Phone House. They should be able to sell you whatever plan you want on the spot. You should take a look at the French words they use on the Virgin Mobile (FR) website so you know what you're getting yourself into when you're in the store. Remember, asking "Parlez-vous anglais ?" goes a long way.

NOTE: France requires an ID and address (your hotel will be fine) for any new phone number assignment.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by imagineertobe
Cool about your phone. As long as it's unlocked and accepts a SIM card, I wouldn't foresee any problems with it working.

There aren't Virgin Mobile stores in France so you'll have to head to a supermarket or, better yet, The Phone House. They should be able to sell you whatever plan you want on the spot. You should take a look at the French words they use on the Virgin Mobile (FR) website so you know what you're getting yourself into when you're in the store. Remember, asking "Parlez-vous anglais ?" goes a long way.

NOTE: France requires an ID and address (your hotel will be fine) for any new phone number assignment.
Great! Thank you so much for your advice and help, it is very much appreciated! Merci
Old May 29, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA, UA, AS, DL. HH diamond, IHG Platinum
An update to this thread:

The Liberty SIM Sans Engagement is still available here: http://www.virginmobile.fr/nos-offre...im-et-plus.htm

However, unless you have a French bank account with IBAN #, you can't get this deal At least that's the problem I ran into online, and that's what the sales rep told me at the Virgin Megastore (and he spoke pretty good English). So unfortunately, while the deal itself is smoking compared to the normal prepaid plans, it's impossible for tourists to get. Le sigh...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.