Wiki Posts
Search

Paris Metro: Options?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2011, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Paris Metro: Options?

Hello,

We will be arriving on Friday, and leaving 10 days later on a Monday. We plan to purchase the Navigo ticket for the full week starting on the first Monday.

However, what is the most efficient way to have access to metro and train for the 3 days prior, and for the trip back to the airport?

What zones should we purchase on the Navigo card? Should we plan to use it for Versailles or just buy an additional ticket that day?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Lisbon
Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I'd suggest separate tickets to Versailles and carnet(s) (packs of 10 tickets) for the days prior.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:35 am

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
I would agree with the above poster: just get Zones 1-2 for your Navigo during the week and buy tickets in a carnet for before the week and use-specific tickets for Versailles and the airport.

Note that you should load up your Navigo before the week starts (5 am Monday morning), as the machines won't offer you the option to buy the week in progress; they only offer the coming week. Otherwise, the sales booths (which are thinning out) would be able to sell you the week in progress (unless this has changed in the last few months).
Old Feb 24, 2011, 7:41 pm

Why not get the Paris Visite Card?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, CO Plat, UA 1P, FB Plat, Marriott PLT, PC Plat, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Nat'l Exec
Dont forget about the bus routes either. They're a great complement to the metro, seems like the routes were designed to serve in that function.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Playboy
Why not get the Paris Visite Card?
Paris Visite tacks on a bit more to what you would otherwise pay for the Navigo so that you have reductions on some tourist services in the city. I and many others don't find the reductions to be valuable, and recommend the Navigo+one-ways instead.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by imagineertobe
Note that you should load up your Navigo before the week starts (5 am Monday morning), as the machines won't offer you the option to buy the week in progress; they only offer the coming week. Otherwise, the sales booths (which are thinning out) would be able to sell you the week in progress (unless this has changed in the last few months).
Wow, I didn't know that. I have my NaviGo from a few years ago and was planning to recharge it when we arrived - only staying for three days en route to a barge trip.

For the OP, be SURE to bring a photo of yourself (or have your hotel xerox your passport photo), insert it into the NaviGo and sign it. My husband and I were fined 25 Euro each for not having a photo and signature on our passes. (That was a cold thing for the Metro police to do - where were they the day before when my husband was pickpocketed on the Metro?)
Old Mar 2, 2011, 4:59 am

I would agree with the above poster: just get Zones 1-2 for your Navigo during the week and buy tickets in a carnet for before the week and use-specific tickets for Versailles and the airport.

Actually, I believe they do sell weekly Navigo charges until several days into the current week. Has this changed recently?

The advice to buy ahead is good noentheless as the ticket booths are often crowded on Monday mornings since the weekly passes expire on Sunday night and many need new ones.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Actually, I believe they do sell weekly Navigo charges until several days into the current week. Has this changed recently?
Ah maybe that's true. I recently tried on a Wednesday or Thursday and it machine didn't present the then-current week as an option. Perhaps on a Monday or Tuesday it'll still work.

Thanks for the data point.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

NaviGO

Hi,

Thanks for all the great advice.

I have my NaviGo card from last October. From the postings, it seems that there are machines to recharge the card? Are they in all the RER stations?

My daughter does not have a card, do we have to use a "manned booth" to get her one?

And if so, can she get one at the Denfert Rochereau station?

And another question: We are staying near the Denfert Rochereau station, what zone is that?

And to get to CDG from Denfert Rocherau, how many zones should we have on the NaviGO card?

Again, thanks for all the great advice!!
Old Mar 2, 2011, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Lisbon
I have my NaviGo card from last October. From the postings, it seems that there are machines to recharge the card? Are they in all the RER stations?

My daughter does not have a card, do we have to use a "manned booth" to get her one?

And if so, can she get one at the Denfert Rochereau station?

And another question: We are staying near the Denfert Rochereau station, what zone is that?

And to get to CDG from Denfert Rocherau, how many zones should we have on the NaviGO card?
If you have a Navigo you can recharge it at any machine along the network. There will be a small purple cradle that you put the pass in during the process.

Your daughter can purchase a Navigo Dcouverte at the manned booths at Denfert-Rochereau, which, like all stations in the city of Paris, is in zone 1.

Finally, Navigo passes are not valid for the "tarification spciale" (special rate) destinations of the airports. So you'll need to buy one-way tickets from CDG to Paris zone 1 (8.70) and then load your Navigo with the zones you'll be traversing during the rest of your stay.

Peace.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:06 pm
iff

Finally, Navigo passes are not valid for the "tarification spciale" (special rate) destinations of the airports. So you'll need to buy one-way tickets from CDG to Paris zone 1 (8.70) and then load your Navigo with the zones you'll be traversing during the rest of your stay.
I believe you're thinking of the Mobilis day pass, which is not valid for transit to and from the airports.

Navigo is indeed valid for RER and bus transport to the airports (except for the Orlyval) but needs to be charged with at least zones 1-5 for CDG or zones 1-4 for Orly.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:12 pm
iff

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
No, per the RATP site:
La vente des forfaits mois est ouverte ds le 20 du mois prcdent le mois de validit, jusqu'au 19 du mois de validit. Celle des forfaits semaine est ouverte du vendredi prcdant la semaine de validit, jusqu'au jeudi inclus de la semaine de validit.
In other words, one can buy it as early as Friday for the following week or as late as Thursday for the current week.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by iff
I believe you're thinking of the Mobilis day pass, which is not valid for transit to and from the airports.

Navigo is indeed valid for RER and bus transport to the airports (except for the Orlyval) but needs to be charged with at least zones 1-5 for CDG or zones 1-4 for Orly.
Ah, yes, it was the Orlyval I had researched before. I'll trust you on that.

Also, apparently Navigo Semaine (weekly) is available until the Thursday of the current week.

I'll stop contributing to this thread lest I confuse the OP even more
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by iff

While one could load a Navigo to get to or from the airport, to do so means you'd be paying for access to many zones for an extended period. It is almost always cheaper to put zones 1 and 2 on the Navigo and then buy single tickets for trips outside the zone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.