Paris Metro help.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris Metro help.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
At Gare du Nord, you just need to look for the machine shown above that accepts bills.

For the non-French speakers, they only tricky part using the machines for the first time is finding the language selection. On the main/front screen, there is no option. You need to use the "wheel" to select tickets on the top of the screen, and then once you enter that screen, you should be able to continue in English (or another language).

This was the only thing that threw me off. Otherwise, the Metro is very easy to use.

Cheers.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by imagineertobe
The station agents can just sell you the ticket you want anyway, so no need to ask specifically for change, eh?
Not all stations have ticket sellers anymore. Some just have information booths.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Has anyone seen a list of Metro stations with manned ticket sellers?
Old May 14, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Using OrlyBus

If I am using the OrlyBus (into D-R area for Marriott Rive Gauche), it looks like the only pass that includes this bus is Visite (unless I pay a la carte for that Bus). I know in general, the tourist visit cards are overpriced compared to maybe a Mobilis card, but I wanted to verify if there was any other pass (going for 3 days - 7/3 to 7/5) to consider. I also have one 4 year old, so it looks like I need to buy a pass at that age? I am just trying to come to the decision if I should just but the 3 day Visite card (zone 1-3) or try to save some dollars with Mobilis or other combination.

I will likely use the transport system all three days so it would be between the touristy pass or some other 1 all day card option. No weekend days in my visit this time.

Thanks,
Rasheed
Old May 15, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
As others have said the Metro in Paris is a cinch to work out however couple of things to watch out for particularly if you are looking like a tourist/someone who is new to the system:

1) lots of pickpockets in the system - you should be fine so long as you are aware of where things are and have pockets/bags zipped up etc.

2) if you are trying to work out how to use the ticket machine (particularly at Gare du Nord) you may find a couple of young lads offer to help - they will then appear to lead you through the ticket purchase but say your credit card won't work - they will then offer to pay on their French card if you pay them in cash (notes) - they then make a big fuss of shielding their pin entry but at this point they are cancelling the transaction and just getting a nul receipt or a single ticket. They will then usually palm an old ticket and give this to you in exchange for your €50 for a week long ticket they say they have bought for you. They then disappear before you go through the barrier and find it doesn't work. I've saw this done to a couple of Japanese tourists before I could work out what was going on then saw it happen a couple of times since when some swift intervention has seen the lads scarper quickly.

I should reiterate that the Metro is incredibly safe but you do sometimes need to ensure you keep your wits about you!
Old May 17, 2012, 1:41 pm

Good advice!

Good advice! Will let my sister-in-law n niece know for their up coming trip to Paris is June. Their 1st time in Paris, never been to Europe, so trying to fund out as much as I can for them. They have a total of 14 days, so I think a Pass will serve them well I believe. Will it be possible to make a side trip to London or somewhere else with 14 days anyone? 2 weeks seem excessive for Paris alone. Appreciate any suggestion!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by ant_west
As others have said the Metro in Paris is a cinch to work out however couple of things to watch out for particularly if you are looking like a tourist/someone who is new to the system:

1) lots of pickpockets in the system - you should be fine so long as you are aware of where things are and have pockets/bags zipped up etc.

2) if you are trying to work out how to use the ticket machine (particularly at Gare du Nord) you may find a couple of young lads offer to help - they will then appear to lead you through the ticket purchase but say your credit card won't work - they will then offer to pay on their French card if you pay them in cash (notes) - they then make a big fuss of shielding their pin entry but at this point they are cancelling the transaction and just getting a nul receipt or a single ticket. They will then usually palm an old ticket and give this to you in exchange for your €50 for a week long ticket they say they have bought for you. They then disappear before you go through the barrier and find it doesn't work. I've saw this done to a couple of Japanese tourists before I could work out what was going on then saw it happen a couple of times since when some swift intervention has seen the lads scarper quickly.

I should reiterate that the Metro is incredibly safe but you do sometimes need to ensure you keep your wits about you!
Old May 18, 2012, 12:15 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by Keflyer
Will it be possible to make a side trip to London or somewhere else with 14 days anyone?
It's of course physically possible to do this, but it depends on whether or not they have the full 14 days mapped out already But that's really off topic for this thread. I'd suggest that you start a new one if you have some specific questions (probably most appropriate over in the UK forum).
Old May 18, 2012, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Keflyer
Will it be possible to make a side trip to London or somewhere else with 14 days anyone? 2 weeks seem excessive for Paris alone. Appreciate any suggestion!
London is an easy day trip (the time difference works in your favour coming from Paris)

Other options might be:
- Fontainebleu
- Lyons
- Toulouse
- Avignon
- Nice
- Marseilles
- Deauville
- Nantes
- Loire Chateau

list is endless tbh, with all I'd suggest planning an overnight stop in that locale so you are not rushed and leaving Paris first thing in the morning to return last thing at night. You can even add places like Geneva, Strasbourg, Brussels, Frankfurt etc if you really wanted as all easy train trips from Paris on the TGV
Old May 19, 2012, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is a carnot still available from a tobacconist? are they available elsewhere. made life very easy for the new traveler.
Old May 19, 2012, 6:44 am
iff

Originally Posted by slawecki
is a carnot still available from a tobacconist? are they available elsewhere. made life very easy for the new traveler.
You can buy a carnet (group of 10 tickets) at some tobacconists, newsstands, etc. Here's a link with listings by area:
http://www.ratp.fr/informer/achat_ti...grees_ratp.php
Old May 21, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
Originally Posted by ant_west
Thanks for pointing that out, I'm travelling to Paris for a day in June and now I know to ignore them if they offer to help.
Old May 21, 2012, 7:43 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Virtually all metro ticket vending machines take coins. In many stations (particularly at CDG) there are machines which will change bills into coins (and sometimes these change machine actually work). The agents (that don't sell tickets directly) will in general make change.
So this way you don't have to worry about cc usage.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 7:40 pm

I'm sorry, this is simple for you guys but it's making my head spin trying to understand why paris has so many different types of tickets and different zones and rules,etc...

I land in CDG August 3rd. Going to Park Hyatt Vendome. Then from the 3rd to 7th, I will be touring the typical paris area. As far as Jardin du Luxembourg, Basilique du Sacre Coeur, Le Marais, and Chateau de versailles. Then on August 8th (6th day) go back to CDG. What's my best option here?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k
I'm sorry, this is simple for you guys but it's making my head spin trying to understand why paris has so many different types of tickets and different zones and rules,etc...

I land in CDG August 3rd. Going to Park Hyatt Vendome. Then from the 3rd to 7th, I will be touring the typical paris area. As far as Jardin du Luxembourg, Basilique du Sacre Coeur, Le Marais, and Chateau de versailles. Then on August 8th (6th day) go back to CDG. What's my best option here?
You are staying at Park Hyatt Vendome at 500-700 US$ a night?
I would take a taxi from CDG to the hotel and back.
It is around 45-60 euros which at the current exchange is 55-75 US$
Don't sweat it with the train, especially if there are 2 or 3 of you.
Put your expenses in perspective.
I will let others comment about the other part
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
I agree with keisari re transport from CDG. A taxi can take you direct to where you are staying - it's not an uncommon site to see tourists emerging from a metro station with piles of luggage staring blankly at the street because they've taken the wrong exit and are blocks away from their accommodation.

There are a couple of passes you could get, but to be honest if I was in your situation I would buy carnets of 10 tickets at a time. They will take you to pretty much everywhere you mentioned you want to go with the exception of Versailles. Metro tickets are good until you exit the system, so you can make any number of connections for the one price. Most trips can be made with a maximum of one connection.

From memory you have to take the RER to Versailles. You can probably buy a deal which includes RER tickets and entry to the chateau from a RER station. My preference for this would be the one underneath Forum des Halles, I've found them to be efficient and friendly there, and very probably will speak excellent English (particularly if you ask politely "parlez-vous anglais s'il vous plait?" first). The line for tickets at Versailles itself will be long so it would be very smart to get all that sorted before you arrive, if possible.

I use a Passe Navigo Decouvert when I visit Paris, a weekly/monthly electronic ticket, but that would not be useful for you as they are only good from Monday until the following Sunday (ie you can't get a weekly that covers Thursday to Wednesday). It costs 5 euros for the pass which you then charge as required.

There's also something called Paris Visite Pass which might be suitable for you, I couldn't comment as I've never used it. It appears to offer discounts for various attractions

Be aware when returning to CDG if you order a taxi, in Paris the charges will commence from the time you call the taxi, not the time it picks you up. But I guess since you are staying at a hotel the concierge would look after a taxi for you.

Embrace the metro! It's a great system and after the first time you've caught it you'll just know intuitively how to work it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.