Paris Metro help.

Old Jan 23, 11, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO
Paris Metro help.

Does anyone have a good interactive website or place I can get a basic grasp of the Paris metro. I googled it and while I got many results none were really what I was looking for. I speak about twenty words, awfully I might add, of french and read less than that, are we going to have a problem using the Metro or is it pretty simple?
Old Jan 23, 11, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum; UA Gold MM; IHG Spire Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
The Metro is easy to use and figure out, even if you don't speak a lick of French. For maps, try here.
Old Jan 23, 11, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by TTBHG View Post
Does anyone have a good interactive website or place I can get a basic grasp of the Paris metro. I googled it and while I got many results none were really what I was looking for. I speak about twenty words, awfully I might add, of french and read less than that, are we going to have a problem using the Metro or is it pretty simple?
It is simple . . . assuming you have been on a subway before. The hardest part was figuring out you had to press a button to open the door .
Old Jan 23, 11, 10:10 pm

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Bronze + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by Aitchly View Post
It is simple . . . assuming you have been on a subway before. The hardest part was figuring out you had to press a button to open the door .
You mean, turn the lever
Old Jan 23, 11, 11:55 pm
iff

Be sure to hang on to your ticket until you've exited the metro at your destination, just in case the contrôleurs (a team of three people wearing ugly RATP green clothing) stop you along the way.
Old Jan 24, 11, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by nomad1974 View Post
Originally Posted by Aitchly View Post
You mean, turn the lever
Depending on the line, some trains have buttons on the doors and others have levers. You're both right.

OP, the WikiTravel page on Paris has an extensive section on the Métro.

Bon voyage !
Old Jan 24, 11, 6:05 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec
Make sure you buy a "carnet" of 10 tickets as this will be cheaper than buying individual tickets. This will also help, since in many stations now they no longer have ticket counters selling tickets. Everything has become automated, meaning you need to buy your tickets from a machine - this can be a nuisance; but more importantly if you do not have a chip-based credit card you will not be able to use your credit card in the machines. You can use coins, but if you find yourself without cash, you might have no way to buy a ticket.

So it's a good idea to stock up on a carnet of 10 either at CDG (if you're taking the RER), or at a major station in Paris where they still have ticket counters.

Last edited by Mountain Man; Jan 24, 11 at 10:16 am
Old Jan 24, 11, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO
Thanks for all the help and thoughts. We leave Wednesday evening and we are both getting really excited.
Old Jan 24, 11, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum; UA Gold MM; IHG Spire Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
Make sure you buy a "carnet" of 10 tickets as this will be cheaper than buying individual tickets.
That's a good suggestion. Alternatively, the Paris Visite Pass and the unlimited rides it affords may be worthwhile.
Old Jan 24, 11, 2:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
This is what I used when I went to Paris in Sept. It helped alot. Of course it covers more then just the Metro.

http://parisbytrain.com/category/metro/
Old Jan 24, 11, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec, DL, HHonors Blue, Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, Marriott Silver
If you have an iPad, iPhone, IPod Touch, or iSomethingElseIDon'tKnowAbout you can get a free app with the Metro/RER as well as a free Paris map. We used them when we spent the summer in Paris... for the first couple days. You'll quickly learn your way around. It's not like navigating the BART system or anything . Never figured that out.
Old Jan 24, 11, 7:48 pm
nrr

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer View Post
That's a good suggestion. Alternatively, the Paris Visite Pass and the unlimited rides it affords may be worthwhile.
There is also a Carte Moblis, one day for zones 1-2 (central Paris), costs 6.10 Euros, and a metro ticket from a carnet costs 1.20 Euros, so if you take more than 5 trips in a day this is the better buy and a much better buy than the Paris Visite (which is intended for tourists).
Now that you can buy all of the tickets from a machine, you won't be hassled (as I have been) when I wanted to buy a Carte Moblis--since I was only a tourist (=non Frenchman). However it is tricky to find that option on the ticket terminal.
Old Jan 25, 11, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by nrr View Post
Now that you can buy all of the tickets from a machine, you won't be hassled (as I have been) when I wanted to buy a Carte Moblis--since I was only a tourist (=non Frenchman). However it is tricky to find that option on the ticket terminal.
Really, there is no reason for you to have been hassled for wanting to purchase a Mobilis pass (note spelling). Only the regular Navigo pass has residency requirements (that you have to live in Ile-de-France).

Otherwise, the Carte Paris Visite does have the benefit that it can be used over a weekend (whereas the Navigo Découverte weekly rate would expire after Sunday) if you foresee needing multiple days of unlimited travel. Otherwise, combining Mobilis passes on heavy travel days with tickets from a carnet on light travel days is a flexible way to control transport costs without feeling immobile.

Peace.
Old Jan 25, 11, 5:23 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec
One more piece of advice: the metro tickets (in whatever form you get... carnet, Carte Paris Visite, Carte Mobilis) are valid not just on the metro, but also on the downtown portion of the RER (a sort of express metro that goes out to the suburbs), on trams (where they exist) and the bus system. Sometimes it's nice to take buses as you get a better view above ground than below ground . Although I admit that grappling with the bus system in a foreign country is often more challenging than the metro/subway.
Old Jan 25, 11, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
...Now that you can buy all of the tickets from a machine, you won't be hassled (as I have been) when I wanted to buy a Carte Moblis--since I was only a tourist (=non Frenchman). However it is tricky to find that option on the ticket terminal.
Do these machines take non-chipped U.S. credit cards? The ticket machines at the CDG RER station don't, so we had to get ours at a staffed window, though we used them elsewhere in France without difficulty.

Search this Thread