Wiki Posts
Search

Is 15-Aug a holiday in France?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Is 15-Aug a holiday in France?

My wife and I are visiting Paris next month... our first trip to Paris.

We arrive on Saturday 14-Aug and leave Wednesday 18-Aug. While planning the trip, I noticed 15-Aug is " Assomption", which is a public holiday. Does this mean many tourist destinations will be closed?

Also, since 15-Aug is a Sunday, does that mean many business/museums etc will close on the following day 16-Aug if they stay open on Sunday 15-Aug (which is often the case in the US)?

Here is my itinerary... any tip/suggestions are welcome

Merci

8/14/2010 Saturday
9:25 AM Arrive at LHR, AA132
12:29 PM Eurostar 9024 St Pancras-Paris Nord
3:50 PM Arrive at Paris Nord, take taxi to Westin Paris
4:30 PM - ??? Place Vendome, shopping with wife (she is looking forward to visiting the original Van Cleef store, highlight of her trip)

8/15/2010 Sunday
Early morning, visit Jardin des Tuileries and Place de la Concorde
9:30 AM Musee d'Orsay
Early afternoon, walk around Blvd St-Germain, Pont Neuf and Notre Dame
Late afternoon, The Pantheon, La Sorbonne area
~9:00 PM Night visit to Eiffel Tower

8/16/2010 Monday
Early morning, visit Palais Royal and Jardin Palais Royal
9:00 AM Musee du Louvre
Late afternoon, walk around Champs Elysees, Arc de Triomphe, day visit to Eiffel Tower
Evening, Champ de Mars, National Assembly, left bank

8/17/2010 Tuesday
8:00 AM Take train to Versailles
9:00 AM Visit Versailles Palace and Garden
Mid afternoon, take train back to Paris
Late afternoon, Musee Claude Monet
Evening, Champs Elysees at night???

8/18/2010 Wednesday
9:30 AM Take taxi to Paris Nord
11:13 AM Eurostar 9023 Paris Nord-St Pancras
Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:53 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Yes, the 15th is a Holiday.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 2:30 am

The 15th is a holiday, but it will not have an effect on museum opening hours, either on Sunday or Monday.

When you mention the Musee Claude Monet, do you mean the house and gardens at Giverny? If so, I doubt you'll be able to fit that in after Versailles.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Louie_LI
...When you mention the Musee Claude Monet, do you mean the house and gardens at Giverny? If so, I doubt you'll be able to fit that in after Versailles.
Last admission is at 5:10 pm. Everyone out by 6. They mean it.

If you expect to cut it close, get tickets in advance. There's a side entrance for people who have them, no waiting. The main entrance with the ticket booth often has long queues, even on weekdays. You can buy them online at http://www.fnacspectacles.com (and perhaps other places as well). There's a surcharge, but it's worth it.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
You may want to check the Saturday opening hours of the stores you wish to visit. If you start at 4:30, you'll likely just have 1.5-2.5 hours to shop.

France doesn't celebrate holidays on alternative days if they fall on the weekend. However, it is common for the French to take off the Friday after after a Thursday holiday ("pont") - but that shouldn't affect tourists much aside from fewer Parisians being in town.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Louie_LI
When you mention the Musee Claude Monet, do you mean the house and gardens at Giverny? If so, I doubt you'll be able to fit that in after Versailles.

Originally Posted by Efrem
Last admission is at 5:10 pm. Everyone out by 6. They mean it.

If you expect to cut it close, get tickets in advance. There's a side entrance for people who have them, no waiting. The main entrance with the ticket booth often has long queues, even on weekdays. You can buy them online at http://www.fnacspectacles.com (and perhaps other places as well). There's a surcharge, but it's worth it.
Yes, we'll have to move that to a different day. Thank you both for the info.

Is the Paris Museum Pass worth the upfront costs? Do most places honor the "skip the line" privilege? I have heard some museums still make you wait in line after you exchanged the pass for tickets.

http://www.parismuseumpass.com/
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
You may want to check the Saturday opening hours of the stores you wish to visit. If you start at 4:30, you'll likely just have 1.5-2.5 hours to shop.
Don't you worry my friend... my wife has already appointments setup with Van Cleef and Chanel stores at Place Vandome. She is a "valued customer"... I look at it as just another great opportunity to earn SPG points
Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:55 pm

Since you are planning to enjoy la Tour Eiffel at night (although 09PM might be not be really dark) you should consider being there exactly at 09 or 10 PM as you will be able to see it sparkling. It sparkles during the first 5 minutes of every hours.
click below only if you want to see how it could look, otherwise just forget this link and enjoy it for real, it will be definitely much nicer than this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwH_Sbzqhc8
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:11 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
That is one packed schedule! I'd suggest cutting out the daytime trips to Eiffel Tower, Champs Elysees. I adore the ET, but the after-dark viewing on the hour when it sparkles might be enough--the fun is the surprise glimpses of this remarkable and beautiful piece of engineering as you tour around town. The Champs Elysees is so very touristy now; you really don't need to see it twice.

A bus tour might give you a better overview of the city and its many contrasting neighborhoods. And do take time to sit in cafes and people-watch, though in August you won't be watching many Parisians in the Left Bank locations you list. I don't know how old you are but you might want to check out the youthful scene in the northeast arrondissements, the 9th-10th-11th-18th-19th-20th. Still a few authentic old stones here and there.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the comment... yes, night time visit to Eiffel will consist mainly of viewing the lights/sparkle (perhaps from a distance). We don't plan on go up twice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.