Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris to Mont-St-Michel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2010, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Paris to Mont-St-Michel

We are a Family of 5, 2-adults and 3 kid's. Traveling to Paris from London for 5 day's in March 2011... We would like to go to Mont St Michel for an overnight Trip.. If anyone has any idea's on what would be the best way to travel between Paris and MSM... Train or Car.. I reserved a car for 150 euro per day.. Would it be less expensive to take the train?? What't it like driving in France in March? Any other Idea's on what to see on the way. Thanks in advance for your imput>>>Hugo
Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:08 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Please follow this in our France forum where you should get the answers you're looking for.

l'etoile
Trip Reports moderator
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:00 am
In memoriam

For five, a car is likely to be the best (and cheapest) was to go. The Mont is not close to any train station.

It is likely to be rather chilly at the Mont in March.

150 Euros seems rather steep for a car rental, even for France. What did you reserve, a Mercedes Limo?
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:09 am

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
Welcome to FT, HUGOs!

Actually, there isn't much of a difference between renting a car and taking the train for the OP. I've done some simulations below, with the following caveats:
  • You should be able to get a lower rate on the car by searching further or waiting until you're closer in
  • For the simulations below, I've assumed the OP has three children that are aged 12-25; children under 12 would be free on the buses and reduced on the train
  • The car simulation uses the Michelin suggested routing which adds €25 in tolls, but reduces driving time by 1hr

TRAIN/BUS (option 1)
Paris>Rennes on TGV = 2 x €175 = €350 (voyages-sncf.com)
Rennes>Mont St-Michel on bus = 2 x €57 = €114 (destination-montsaintmichel.com)
TOTAL: €464

TRAIN/BUS (option 2)
Paris>Dol-de-Bretagne on TGV = 2 x €200 = €400 (voyages-sncf.com)
Dol-de-Bretagne>Mont St-Michel on bus = 2 x €29.50 = €59 (destination-montsaintmichel.com)
TOTAL: €459

CAR RENTAL
Rental = 2 days x €150/day = €300
Gas + tolls = 2 x €75 = €150 (viamichelin.fr shows routes with estimated tolls and gas usage)
TOTAL: €450

OP, I would recommend the train for the following situation: you can't find a cheaper car rate, your only destination in Brittany and Normandy is the Mont Saint-Michel, and you are staying at one of the hotels at the base of the Mont. The train might be a good experience for your family who, depending on your origins, may not have had access to efficient trains like those in France.

If, however, you plan on visiting Normandy on the same trip, you will most definitely need a car, as there are basically no train services between Brittany and the Norman tourist sites.

General info about March French driving:

Last winter we had some snowstorms in this area into late March, though they were very unusual. Likely you'll have rain and cold wind during this time of the year, though some days will be clear and just cold. Plan for bundling up while on the Mont as much of the visit is outdoors.

Also, depending on when you plan on traveling, you might find yourself among the hoards of people on winter break. This coming year, it extends until March 14 (see the schedule here - in French), so you'll want to avoid traveling on weekends if you're in France during the first half of the month, as the highways become VERY congested.

Peace.

Last edited by imagineertobe; Jul 11, 2010 at 5:17 am Reason: added welcome msg, info on driving in France in March
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you get a car, you can stay and eat in dinard or dinan if need be.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
if you book your TGV tickets exactly 90 days before you travel on a european website (in english, you could chose www.tgv-europe.com - use GB as residence) and then print them at home(or use pick-up at rail station), you can save A LOT on the train. I would recommend a TGV to Saint Malo, stay there (you will not regret it!!!) and take a bus-tour to Mont Saint Michel.

all bus information here: http://www.keolis-emeraude.com/en/mo...st-michel.html
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Mont Saint Michel is not easy to access by train (it requires an additional bus, and there really isn't anything direct from Paris), as such I recommend driving. And make sure you plan to visit Saint Malo when you are in the area.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by oenophilist
Mont Saint Michel is not easy to access by train (it requires an additional bus, and there really isn't anything direct from Paris), as such I recommend driving. And make sure you plan to visit Saint Malo when you are in the area.
Hate to nitpick, oenophilist, but I showed that the connections from Paris are timed conveniently and chrissxb suggested staying in Saint Malo. I'm sure the OP would appreciate non-repetitive constructive posts for his trip.

Peace.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by imagineertobe
Hate to nitpick, oenophilist, but I showed that the connections from Paris are timed conveniently and chrissxb suggested staying in Saint Malo. I'm sure the OP would appreciate non-repetitive constructive posts for his trip.

Peace.
Agree. I've done train-bus via Rennes for a day trip from Paris, and I found it extremely easy and convenient.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by imagineertobe

Peace.
and i would also recommend driving. i do not find oenophilist post or mine to be repetitive. i find it constructive that more than one person agree. drive out there. get a michelin green guide, and stop at a couple other green guide 3* attractions. that is not the best area to get around in reasonable timeframe without a car.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:16 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I did the trip last year in early April.
I drove as we wanted to see other parts of the French countryside, came from Normandy.
I can vouch for imagineertobe rain can be very heavy, torrential and the motorways did not seem to be able to cope with the rain.
We, Mrs Blackcloud and I, stayed on the Mount which allowed us to explore at night, which was actually the hightlight of the entire experience as there were very few people about. It really reminded me of the Minas Tirath from LOTR Return of the King and if you have kids I thoroughly recommend that you try it.
Of course I also recommend that you do not eat on the island but go back into town as the restaurants are expensive and the food is inedible.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by slawecki
and i would also recommend driving. i do not find oenophilist post or mine to be repetitive. i find it constructive that more than one person agree.
On the contrary, I didn't find your post to be repetitive at all - you suggested some nice towns in the area - Dinard or Dinan. While it is good to add one's agreement, it is better to add one's experience or suggestions as well - that's what keeps FT fresh.

Originally Posted by slawecki
that is not the best area to get around in reasonable timeframe without a car.
Again, on the contrary, I and other posters have shown that getting to and between the Mont Saint-Michel, Saint-Malo, etc. are relatively easy without a car. Taking the train perhaps means that the OP is less stressed about French roadsigns and road rules, and has a set timetable for what can become an overwhelming day trip for a novice.

Please also take notice that I live in Brittany, and realize that I have visited the Mont Saint-Michel almost every time I've had out-of-towners visit me. I'm talking about my region of the world here, which has such lovely sights as the Mont Saint-Michel and such advanced train offerings as the SNCF network. Trust me when I say that taking the train vs. a car has very little to do with timing, and has more to do with traffic conditions, one's desire/preference to drive, etc.

Peace.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:09 am
iff

The OP didn't say what ages the kids are, but a family of 5 traveling by train or bus means at least one person will be sitting alone. That may also influence the decision on whether to drive or not.

Perhaps we'll hear back from the OP with more details or some feedback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.