Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Jeans and Sneakers at Paris Restaurants?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jeans and Sneakers at Paris Restaurants?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by bzcat
On a somewhat related note, I assume most mid-tier or up restaurants will have English menus upon request? What about cheaper neighborhood places? I'm not being boorish about insisting on everyone speak English to me... just that my French is not that good and I don't want to order something that may cause problem (my wife has severe shellfish allergy).
At cheaper neighborhood places you are less likely to find English menus but you *might* find waiters who speak fairly decent English. Most will speak at least poor English and if it is a place that serves seafood, you they will definitely understand words like shrimp and lobster.

In the neighborhood places, you generally only find seafood in upscale restaurants. You will find shrimp used in dishes most anywhere though, so learn to say allergie aux crevettes!
Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:32 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by stimpy
At cheaper neighborhood places you are less likely to find English menus but you *might* find waiters who speak fairly decent English. Most will speak at least poor English and if it is a place that serves seafood, you they will definitely understand words like shrimp and lobster.

In the neighborhood places, you generally only find seafood in upscale restaurants. You will find shrimp used in dishes most anywhere though, so learn to say allergie aux crevettes!
I agree. I also think that this is one of those cases where enlisting the services of the hotel concierge is a good idea. It's far better for a phone call to be placed in advance rather than any of us trying to provide the French phrases for things like "Do you have a menu in English?" or "I am allergic to crustaceans."
Old Jul 28, 2010, 2:39 am

On a somewhat related note, I assume most mid-tier or up restaurants will have English menus upon request? What about cheaper neighborhood places? I'm not being boorish about insisting on everyone speak English to me... just that my French is not that good and I don't want to order something that may cause problem (my wife has severe shellfish allergy).

And oh yea, I'm going to be wearing pants to nice restaurants... not all Americans have obsession with wearing jeans
It really depends. For the cheaper neighborhood places, some will, some won't, depending on where they are and whether they perceive a need for it. I live in an area that is not touristy, but which has a big hotel that caters to groups. Most of the cafés in the area have English menus, and some even have Russian and Japanese menus.

If you do a search, you can download a card that explains your wife's allergy in French, which might come in handy.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT

And oh yea, I'm going to be wearing pants to nice restaurants... not all Americans have obsession with wearing jeans
At one time, I would have said to skip any neighborhood-type place that had an English menu. While that's still generally true, there are some great entrepreneurs that know an Enlish menu is good for business...case in point, one of my favorite Italian bistros in Paris La Locanda.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM

Seems like the small, easy-to-carry Marling Menu Master for France would be a good investment of the $8 or so that it costs. Alternatively, surely there's an app for that.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL GM
I, too, have a potentially fatal shellfish allergy. When I order fish of any kind, I always ask the waiter to ask the cook if there are shellfish shells in the sauce. It's not uncommon, especially in France.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by MJLogan
I, too, have a potentially fatal shellfish allergy. When I order fish of any kind, I always ask the waiter to ask the cook if there are shellfish shells in the sauce. It's not uncommon, especially in France.
You didn't indicate whether or not you speak French. If you don't, I would write down precisely what you want the chef to know and have it translated (not by Google) into French so you have it on paper.

Bonne santé!
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:11 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
Wearing jeans and sneakers in France especially while dining, is like broadcasting a message to the locals: I'M AMERICAN AND I DON'T CARE ABOUT WHAT'S ACCEPTABLE HERE.

It's respectful to try to immerse a little bit in the place you are visiting that has a different culture than your own. Leave the jeans & sneakers home. Try also to speak in a lower voice in public than you do in the US.

(And Americans wonder why the French get non-plussed at their attitude)
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by menton1
Wearing jeans and sneakers in France especially while dining, is like broadcasting a message to the locals: I'M AMERICAN AND I DON'T CARE ABOUT WHAT'S ACCEPTABLE HERE.

It's respectful to try to immerse a little bit in the place you are visiting that has a different culture than your own. Leave the jeans & sneakers home. Try also to speak in a lower voice in public than you do in the US. (And Americans wonder why the French get non-plussed at their attitude)
Thanks for pointing out this one...i thought i was the only one...
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:03 am

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
Try also to speak in a lower voice in public than you do in the US.
This is a very good piece of advice - one that holds true but sneaks up on me when I have American friends visit (I forget about the voice volume difference very quickly).
Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Jumping in late, however...

I think there is a huge difference between jeans and sneakers. It is perfectly acceptable and stylish to wear jeans with a nice shirt, jacket, and nice shoes to most restaurants (excluding Michelin starred ones). Assuming that the jeans are themselves somewhat stylish, preferably black or at least dark. However, sneakers generally should only be worn at casual places, like pizza places, etc.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 9:45 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by oenophilist

I think there is a huge difference between jeans and sneakers. It is perfectly acceptable and stylish to wear jeans with a nice shirt, jacket, and nice shoes to most restaurants (excluding Michelin starred ones). Assuming that the jeans are themselves somewhat stylish, preferably black or at least dark. However, sneakers generally should only be worn at casual places, like pizza places, etc.
Fully agree on this. Dark and stylish jeans are fine, but not sneakers, especially white ones.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
I would say it really depends on the clothes you wear (do - don't), your general attitude (if you look cool it does not mean that you should be rude), and of course the type of restaurant (you'd better wear a designer jeans at Georges rather than a lousy cheap suit.

Try also to speak in a lower voice in public than you do in the US.
^^
And if you wear a horrible jeans, nobody will notice it
Old Sep 3, 2010, 5:18 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by oenophilist

Absolutely disagree, you will get served, but the Frogs (meant as a term of endearment) will be laughing at you.

Try wearing gray slacks, white shirt, tie and blazer with dress shoes in just about any place in Paris. You will be amazed at the difference in your treatment.

Believe me, I've tried it both ways and have learned my lesson.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 1:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
To bump and ask:

We'll spend a few days in Paris mid-July (my wife's xxth birthday is July 13, Bastille Day the 14th) at the Hilton Arc de Triomphe (8th Arrondissement) and for her birthday we are most likely to book at Odette and Georges' Au Vieux Paris d'Arcole, in an ancient building and serving well-sourced Aveyronnaise food on the Isle de la Cité. (Book in advance, no tennis shoes and jeans ), which we last visited a few years ago.

Yeah, touristy area, but most can't find the restaurant anyway and diners are usually locals (like the retired lawyer who has taken his lunch here daily for who knows how many years!)

Back in the 8th, any recommendations within walks from our hotel would be welcome - we tend to eat the larger meal at lunch, particularly when it is hot and when we are on the road.

Oh, how far in advance is good to book (too far out, easy to forget; too late, worst table in the house).

Merci!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.